Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

This is a big deal because if something happens and these athletes can no longer play, their chances of earning a living go down so significantly, and I am sure the chances of them abusing drugs or getting caught up in criminal activity goes up significantly.

If you are saying that they don't have to learn how to even read, then you are also saying that if something happens to them you will take care of them. If that is the case, then I don't see a problem. It's retarding a persons growth, but at least they have the opportunity to advance themselves if they want. The resources are there. You can't send a person through though without actually having to do the work though and not be responsible for them.

Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

This is a big deal because if something happens and these athletes can no longer play, their chances of earning a living go down so significantly, and I am sure the chances of them abusing drugs or getting caught up in criminal activity goes up significantly.

If you are saying that they don't have to learn how to even read, then you are also saying that if something happens to them you will take care of them. If that is the case, then I don't see a problem. It's retarding a persons growth, but at least they have the opportunity to advance themselves if they want. The resources are there. You can't send a person through though without actually having to do the work though and not be responsible for them.

They are more or less modern day gladiators... so physically intelligent but lacking intelligence in other areas that it eventually will bite them when the body deteriorates.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    What's the real argument against paying them?
    The NCAA's position that they are receiving a free education is a joke. They arent receiving an education.
    This 100%. I used to be against paying college athletes because I figured hey it's a free education, but there is no emphasis on learning. The only reason they don't get paid is so that NCAA can keep exploiting these kids. Its absolutely ridiculous that they can't even get sponsorships or endorsements.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916

They are more or less modern day gladiators... so physically intelligent but lacking intelligence in other areas that it eventually will bite them when the body deteriorates.
    Very well put This issue is a systemic problem because how the hell are you graduating from high school if you don't even know how to read at beyond a 3rd grade level. The whole system is completely fvcked

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

I'm not for paying college athletes nor against it but once you start paying them why don't they just turn pro instead?

I know the current college athletes for big time schools aren't an accurate portrayal of the university itself but I think it'd be even worst when the players don't have an affiliation to the school besides getting a paycheck and playing for them. At that point they are just professionals.

NBA lottery pick

The NCAA's position that they are receiving a free education is a joke. They arent receiving an education.
    Try receive the opportunity to continue there football career and showcase their talents to the nfl cfl afl. They gain fame and are gods on campus. They get a free education if they choose too. They live more than comfortably. I know athletes driving nice cars with nice apartments and buying every new pair of Jordans that comes out. They arnt some slaves that people like to say they are.

I'm just against paying because there would be no could way to do this. A salary cap? No cap? How would player salaries work. How could a smaller program ever compete with a school like Ohio state. Then players from every sport would need to be paid, it would completely fuuuck up all college sports and it would turn into a mess. What would be the incentive to play if you get a million dollar signing bonus the day you sign your letter of intent? Lol are they gonna demand new contracts after a good season? A messss

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    College athletes are not pro athletes. And being in college means you should be able to have basic communication skills.
    Athletes shouldn't be forced to go to college in the first place. It's a corrupt system that we have which forces them to play for free for schools for up to 4 years. Athletes are nothing but entertainers, and we don't force singers, actors, models, or any other type of entertainers to perform for free and go to school.

College superstar The Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Athletes shouldn't be forced to go to college in the first place. It's a corrupt system that we have which forces them to play for free for schools for up to 4 years. Athletes are nothing but entertainers, and we don't force singers, actors, models, or any other type of entertainers to perform for free and go to school.
    Forced?

shhhhhhh

If they are not receiving and education its by their choice, it's there for the taking

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    They're not