Exclamation Tough interview question

The question: Why did you wait so long after graduation to seek a position in your field?

Background: I was doing some easy sales job for a totally unrelated industry for 7 years because I like the money but the job is gone. Now I wanted to get back into my field which is highly technical and this industry prefer people who are focused and committed to the industry from the start. How should I answer that question?

Default Re: Tough interview question

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    The question: Why did you wait so long after graduation to seek a position in your field?

Background: I was doing some easy sales job for a totally unrelated industry for 7 years because I like the money but the job is gone. Now I wanted to get back into my field which is highly technical and this industry prefer people who are focused and committed to the industry from the start. How should I answer that question?
    You just did.

Did you spend up your easy money or actually saved and now could go easy with it?

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    You just did.

Did you spend up your easy money or actually saved and now could go easy with it?
    In an interview you NEVER say the truth if it means that the answer could potentially be the deciding factor to whether you get hired or not.
    The OP wants a bs answer, like we all do in interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Cangri
    In an interview you NEVER say the truth if it means that the answer could potentially be the deciding factor to whether you get hired or not.
    The OP wants a bs answer, like we all do in interviews.
    So you lie to all the essential questions?

Makes for an effective interview.

CS major? EE?

Say that you wanted to explore many options after graduation and now you truly know what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    Say that you wanted to explore many options after graduation and now you truly know what you want to do.
    Good answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Good answer.
    A follow up question:

What were those options?

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine

I was in a position, where I was helping out my family with Financial Concerns and the last job allowed me to work over time in which I was given the opportunity to satisfy my needs at the time. Now, I'm in a position where I'm better off and thus ready to finally working in my field of study,