Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: The game is simply better today than in the 90's and this article explains why.

Quote Originally Posted by King Jane
    I know who he is.

Good High School Starter Out_In_Utah's Avatar

Default Re: The game is simply better today than in the 90's and this article explains why.

Wow that guy is delusional, these old heads are stuck in lala land

There are kids today that are better players than anyone I ever seen highlights of from pre lebron/Durant era. Soon even lebron and Durant will be phased out by the up coming super athletes of tomorrow. Anyone who don't know wut I'm talmbout check out seventh woods. Kid makes Jordan look like a stiff. The game just gets better and better as humans and athletes evolve, but old codgers who are now irrelevant don't want to own up to being inferior. Such is life nothing to see here.
    This is the reason I like rep. There is something just viscerally satisfying about negging people for moronic statements like this.

้้้&

Quote Originally Posted by Out_In_Utah
    This is the reason I like rep. There is something just viscerally satisfying about negging people for moronic statements like this.
    Ooooo an e-thug

U ain't intimidatin no one

Wow that guy is delusional, these old heads are stuck in lala land

There are kids today that are better players than anyone I ever seen highlights of from pre lebron/Durant era. Soon even lebron and Durant will be phased out by the up coming super athletes of tomorrow. Anyone who don't know wut I'm talmbout check out seventh woods. Kid makes Jordan look like a stiff. The game just gets better and better as humans and athletes evolve, but old codgers who are now irrelevant don't want to own up to being inferior. Such is life nothing to see here.

Bro, most of the kids in the league can barely hit a midrange jumper coming into the league. There are several players right now that merely drive and hope for fouls or launch 3s.

ALOT of dumb basketball being played righ now. Athleticism and talent is there but basic lack of fundamental skills shows in this league.

http://youtu.be/If7Hrcf04Dw

Ain't no one in the 90s touchin that
    See, this is why young kids (and I'm sure you're young) fail against savvy elders.

Your eye for the game is still infantile and simplistic. YOu see some kid pulling crossovers and high flying fancy moves and assume he's just better than anything else before him.

You literally don't see the game from any technical point of view.

NBA Superstar

That Gary Payton quote was spot on...

90s was a much better time for the sport.

90s were the worst era since 50s

80s were good, but no D has been played at all

Today's game is balanced and full of skilled and all time great players.

A perfect product

And also am I crazy or is it incredibly stupid how some younger members here act like evolution hit the league in the past 20 years?

As if players now would just flat out DOMINATE superstars from the 80s, 90s. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    And also am I crazy or is it incredibly stupid how some younger members here act like evolution hit the league in the past 20 years?

As if players now would just flat out DOMINATE superstars from the 80s, 90s. Etc.

I know

Guys of the 80's, 90's have some of the best fundamentals the league has seen. When you are dealing with handchecking and physical play, you need to have good fundamentals to be competitive.

Lebron's crabstep is hilarious

The post up play and fundamentals of the big men in today's league is laughable

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror

i have also seen posters here here write that today's players would be crap in 90s league.
    it works both ways but i don't see the so called good posters on this site have problems with that so it is understandable when a troll makes this kind of threads.
    anyways, nothing GP said is right and that is what i was saying.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Lebron's crabstep is hilarious
    Randomly bringing him up as if he's not incredibly skilled or wouldn't dominate any era.

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation
    Payton was complaining about free throws? Maybe someone should let The Glove know that MJ peaked at 12 fta per game lol Followed up the next two years with 11 and 10 and 9.

Let's compare peak streaks for 4 consecutive seasons between MJ and LBJ

Jordan:
    11.9 - 10.5 - 9.8 - 8.5 = 40.7 / 4 = 10.175

LeBron:
    10.3 - 9.0 - 10.3 - 9.4 = 39 / 4 = 9.75
    You didn't include shot attempts to go along with the free throw averages? You didn't mention in order to average 11.9 free throws a game Jordan had to be in constant attack mode and average 28 shots a game that season? And he barely shot any three pointers on top of that since his game was always midrange or attack the rim back then.

Meanwhile you have Lebron James not anywhere near as aggressive offensively as Jordan averaging 4-5+ less shots a game, also throwing up 4-5 threes a game and still averaging just as many free throws? It puts those numbers more in context, doesn't it?

This year Durant is leading the league with most fta per game with 10.0

Let's look at the "good ol days" and see if anyone was drawing more fouls per game?

2000:

Shaq 10.4
    Stackhouse 9.3

2001:

Shaq 13.1
    Iverson: 10.1
    Stackhouse: 10.1

2002:

Shaq 10.7
    Iverson: 9.8

2003:

Shaq 10.3
    McGrady: 9.7
    Pierce: 9.5

I think you get my point...Durant's 10 fta per game is his recent single season high (if you are counting his last 4 season). And we all feel he is getting a very generous helping of fta this season, too. Take his last 2 seasons, where he was 9.3 and 7.6, respectively. He doesn't even shake a stick at others on the list. (Shaq was intentionally fouled a bunch, I already know this :P).
    Once again Durant is nowhere near as aggressive offensively as Jordan (or McGrady or Iverson) and also throws up a ton of long range shots but still gets to the line plenty. You also didn't mention that Iverson, Stackhouse and McGrady were taking anywhere from 24-28 shots a game some of those years you listed to get their free throw averages to equal the same amount as Durant who takes only 17-19 shots a game. The refs are far more whistle-happy these days.

And how about that James Harden? Averaging 16-17 shots a game, 1/3 of his shots are threes (taking 6 a game) but that guy still averages 9-10 free throws a game the last couple of seasons. Yep, Payton is absolutely right, this era is softer than a roll of wet Charmin. Imagine how many free throws young Jordan would rack up in this shit era taking 28 shots a game, staying away from threes and constantly attacking the rim if he got "Harden" superstar treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    You didn't include shot attempts to go along with the free throw averages? You didn't mention in order to average 11.9 free throws a game Jordan had to be in constant attack mode and average 28 shots a game that season? And he barely shot any three pointers on top of that since his game was always midrange or attack the rim back then.

Meanwhile you have Lebron James not anywhere near as aggressive offensively as Jordan averaging 4-5+ less shots a game, also throwing up 4-5 threes a game and still averaging just as many free throws? It puts those numbers more in context, doesn't it?

Once again Durant is nowhere near as aggressive offensively as Jordan (or McGrady or Iverson) and also throws up a ton of long range shots but still gets to the line plenty. You also didn't mention that Iverson, Stackhouse and McGrady were taking anywhere from 24-28 shots a game some of those years you listed to get their free throw averages to equal the same amount as Durant who takes only 17-19 shots a game. The refs are far more whistle-happy these days.

And how about that James Harden? Averaging 16-17 shots a game, 1/3 of his shots are threes (taking 6 a game) but that guy still averages 9-10 free throws a game the last couple of seasons. Yep, Payton is absolutely right, this era is softer than a roll of wet Charmin. Imagine how many free throws young Jordan would rack up in this shit era taking 28 shots a game, staying away from threes and constantly attacking the rim if he got "Harden" superstar treatment.
    he gave you stats to back up his statements. did you even think that he just might be fouled more when he is going to the basket or when lebron is going to the basket as they are a massive mismatch for the other team?
    also, i am pretty sure jordan would have loved 3 pt shot if he grew up today if he was good at it. his only good 3 pt shooting season came when 3 pt line was shorter. i am sure he would have practiced 3 pt shots more if he grew up now instead of 70s and 80s.
    pretty much all fouls on lebron are when he is going to the rim instead of on his jump-shots.
    durant gets fouled on jump-shots too. jordan started the era of superstar treatment by refs so don't even start that argument.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Randomly bringing him up as if he's not incredibly skilled or wouldn't dominate any era.

I don't know why you would get upset by this?

Well duh, most basketball players have skill, otherwise they wouldn't be in the league

I wouldn't call Lebron a highly skilled player. Dominate with the use of his body, strength and speed? Sure. Can throw a nice pass, post game is limited, jumpshot is pretty solid. What else does he have fundamentally? His footwork is average at best, his handles are average, I don't think this is even an issue?

Skilled fundamentally like a Kobe, Hakeem or Jordan? No, not in that respect.

Serious playground baller

The 90s ... the game was different ... you could maul someone and may, or may not, get a call.

Would I take the best team of the 90s against the best team of the 2000s? Hell yes .. without a doubt.

For your consideration!

PG: Nash -- Stockton
    SG: Bryant -- Jordan
    PF: Duncan -- Malone
    SF: James -- Pippen
    C: O'Neil -- Olajawon

It would be one hell of a good game too.