Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: The game is simply better today than in the 90's and this article explains why.

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    I don't know why you would get upset by this?

Well duh, most basketball players have skill, otherwise they wouldn't be in the league

I wouldn't call Lebron a highly skilled player. Dominate with the use of his body, strength and speed? Sure. Can throw a nice pass, post game is limited, jumpshot is pretty solid. What else does he have fundamentally? His footwork is average at best, his handles are average, I don't think this is even an issue?

Skilled fundamentally like a Kobe, Hakeem or Jordan? No, not in that respect.

Banned

Default Re: The game is simply better today than in the 90's and this article explains why.

Skilled fundamentally like a Kobe, Hakeem or Jordan? No, not in that respect.
    What the hell are you even talking about? Why does it matter if he's as effective as he needs to be?

Guess who banged in Jordan's era who was dominant? More dominant than Dream. Shaq. Shaq is also a low skilled brute who dominated with his body. Even if what you're saying is true, it matters very little if the result is the same or in these cases, better.

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    he gave you stats to back up his statements. did you even think that he just might be fouled more when he is going to the basket or when lebron is going to the basket as they are a massive mismatch for the other team?
    also, i am pretty sure jordan would have loved 3 pt shot if he grew up today if he was good at it. his only good 3 pt shooting season came when 3 pt line was shorter. i am sure he would have practiced 3 pt shots more if he grew up now instead of 70s and 80s.
    pretty much all fouls on lebron are when he is going to the rim instead of on his jump-shots.
    durant gets fouled on jump-shots too. jordan started the era of superstar treatment by refs so don't even start that argument.
    He gave nothing but free throw averages which says nothing about the player's style of play or how aggressive they are. I put more context to those free throw averages. There is no way in hell you can spin a player averaging 16-17 shots a game, jacking up 6 threes a game averaging near the same amount of free throws as an athletic freak, taking 28 shots a game, constantly attacking the rim and taking practically NO three point shots. It's ridiculous. Jordan never got NEAR the superstar treatment these MFs are getting today.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    What the hell are you even talking about? Why does it matter if he's as effective as he needs to be?

Guess who banged in Jordan's era who was dominant? More dominant than Dream. Shaq. Shaq is also a low skilled brute who dominated with his body. Even if what you're saying is true, it matters very little if the result is the same or in these cases, better.

Again, you're getting rather sensitive over a non-issue. It's not blasthemy to suggest that Lebron is limited fundamentally. Does he need elite fundamentals? No, he's big, strong and fast.

Shaq is a low skilled brute. Think you need to watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewBnHq04CRg

The guy had an array of post moves, footwork and could go coast to coast as a centre. He was very skilled fundamentally, don't let the thunderous power and dunks fool you

If I was arguing that Lebron is both limited fundamentally and ineffective? Then of course I'd have rocks in my head. But I NEVER said Lebron was ineffective.
    Last edited by poido123; 01-15-2014 at 04:35 AM.

Complete Player

Again, you're getting rather sensitive over a non-issue. It's not blasthemy to suggest that Lebron is limited fundamentally. Does he need elite fundamentals? No, he's big, strong and fast.

The guy had an array of post moves, footwork and could go coast to coast as a centre. He was very skilled fundamentally, don't let the thunderous power and dunks fool you

Agreed. Shaq didn't always have to use his ass to get to the rim. Do you see any other big today making moves like this? The footwork. The speed. And then just going over Robinson and kicking him off like a sack of garbage It was easy to see the thunderous dunks and all that but I always saw the moves. It wasn't fair for a man the size of Shaq to be this coordinated and quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI85iVU3xkE

He had the up and unders, the drop step, the fadeaway jumphook from the baseline. Shaq had skills, no doubt.

Banned

If I was arguing that Lebron is both limited fundamentally and ineffective? Then of course I'd have rocks in my head. But I NEVER said Lebron was inefffective.
    If you're really arguing that Shaq was more skilled relative to his position than LeBron, then this argument needs no further discussion.

Do you really think LeBron is leaps and bounds the best athlete in the league and no forward can touch him? Is that what you're arguing?

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    If you're really arguing that Shaq was more skilled relative to his position than LeBron, then this argument needs no further discussion.

Do you really think LeBron is leaps and bounds the best athlete in the league and no forward can touch him? Is that what you're arguing?

That's fine if you truly believe that. But I'd argue Shaq was more skilled fundamentally as a centre, than Lebron is as a SF. Shaq's footwork leaves Lebron for dead.

Lebron has a unique combination of size, strength and speed unrivalled in the league. So no, I'm not arguing the MOST athletic, but the most unique body shape and speed relative to size in the league. Once he gets a head of steam, nobody can stop Lebron.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by davehos
    The 90s ... the game was different ... you could maul someone and may, or may not, get a call.
    NBA discourages fighting because the Ron Artest/Ben Wallace incident almost killed the league. Alot of fans saw NBA players as thugs after that.

Thats why Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitaki were given MVP trophies.

In the case of Dirk, it was really because he deserved it. He was going to win the MVP at some point with his play, and 2007 seemed like the year due to the Mavs' exceptional record. (He had a strong case the two years before as well. So did Nash by the way but I think there were better options available).

As for Barkley... of course he'd dominate today. He retired in 2000, not a century ago. His lack of height didn't bother him in a golden age of 7 foot paint protectors, so why would it bother him today?

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    In the case of Dirk, it was really because he deserved it. He was going to win the MVP at some point with his play, and 2007 seemed like the year due to the Mavs' exceptional record. (He had a strong case the two years before as well. So did Nash by the way but I think there were better options available).

As for Barkley... of course he'd dominate today. He retired in 2000, not a century ago. His lack of height didn't bother him in a golden age of 7 foot paint protectors, so why would it bother him today?

Thank you. Barkley had to work in the paint that had monsters like Dream, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Mutombo and Mourning in it. There's no one today who lives in the paint who could even slow Sir Charles down. No one.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

game's constantly improving, it's called progress. old people always in fear of it

Quote Originally Posted by King Jane
    Wow that guy is delusional, these old heads are stuck in lala land

There are kids today that are better players than anyone I ever seen highlights of from pre lebron/Durant era. Soon even lebron and Durant will be phased out by the up coming super athletes of tomorrow. Anyone who don't know wut I'm talmbout check out seventh woods. Kid makes Jordan look like a stiff. The game just gets better and better as humans and athletes evolve, but old codgers who are now irrelevant don't want to own up to being inferior. Such is life nothing to see here.

Wtf is this 8 year old talking about?? Take your ass back to your mommy and stop posting please.

Quote Originally Posted by King Jane
    Barlkley would have to play shooting guard in today's era but he would struggle even then. Today u gotta be 7 foot to play as a big. Barkley would get owned by the size of modern players inside since he was only bout 6 4 but he is not skilled enough or quick enough to handle players his size like Westbrook or Irving. They'd cross him up bad and blow by him with their modern athleticism. Some players from the past could play today maybe but Barkley ain't one of em.
    So he played PF against the likes of Karl Malone, Kevin McHale, Terry Cummings, Ralph Sampson, Buck Williams, Kevin Willis, Tom Chambers, Dennis Rodman, Shawn Kemp, Chris Webber, Derrick Coleman.... And he would've had to play SG nowadays? If anything he could play C. Height average is lower too, nowadays.

So much fail, ban this guy please.

Local High School Star Basketbolero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Kelly Dwyer has never produced a decent piece of sports journalism. He's awful.

Weak era for sports writers.
    This is so true. I don't agree with Payton but Dwyer is clueless.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by El Gato Negro
    is it because of the shorts?
    Sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT

Wtf is this 8 year old talking about?? Take your ass back to your mommy and stop posting please.

So he played PF against the likes of Karl Malone, Kevin McHale, Terry Cummings, Ralph Sampson, Buck Williams, Kevin Willis, Tom Chambers, Dennis Rodman, Shawn Kemp, Chris Webber, Derrick Coleman.... And he would've had to play SG nowadays? If anything he could play C. Height average is lower too, nowadays.

So much fail, ban this guy please.

He's one of the worst of the new posters. I'm starting to suspect they're all dupes, doe. They all say the same shit.