Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Jordan/LeBron one on one

Quote Originally Posted by ssginc
    I don't know about Lebron crying, but I suspect that by the 4th or 5th game he'd be ready to take his ball and go home. lol

Besides all that your assessment of the two players is spot on, except for the part about James being a "superior" playmaker. He plays that role more often than Jordan did, but that doesn't make him superior. Take the 89 season as a case in point, when MJ was asked to assume the playmaker/PG role during the last half of the season; he responded with double-digit Assists in 19 of the Bulls' final 26 games, including a streak of 12 straight and 17 in 19 games. Jordan could have been the greatest PG / playmaker ever if he wanted to. In that respect he took a back seat to no one.

I also disagree with the notion that James is a superior passer, but since there is no way to substantiate the argument one way or the other I'll just leave it at that.
    this, Jordan was also a better playmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    kobe/mj I would give mj the edge about 60/40. mj is more competitive, but kobe is more stubborn. they're so similar it's eerie. obviously mj was a lot better in the real 5 on 5 game, but in 1 on 1 it would be so close
    Not only that but MJ was just the more athletic specimen. Prime for prime of both their careers they have comparable skill sets, but MJ had it on a superior athletic body. Most likely superior intelligence, and mentality too.

Kobe would have the superior range, but long balls no matter how well shot aren't consistent. I take MJ's superior quickness off the bounce or triple threat ... and his superior ability to get to the basket and finish. With finesse, or power. Those hands, shoulders, innate strength, body dexterity, and leaping ability all favor Mike.

I too believe MJ was more competitive, Kobe more stubborn. Big difference, but on the surface very similar. Kobe would be the person best equipped to challenge Jordan. Specifically mentally, not getting shook / losing confidence, etc where LeBron would most likely cower. As he did to old Kobe in an ASG. But MJ would just be a tad bit better.

MJ acknowledge this in the 2k14 interview. Kobe is a Junior Mints version of Jordan. So of course he'd give him problems at times.

LeBron isn't near as good as an on ball defender as either MJ, or Kobe. He's a better 5 on 5 player than Kobe, but he's an inferior ISO player. On either side of the ball. See how Jason Terry lite up LeBron in the Finals, without defensive help the way he had the previous series with D. Rose.

And Indian Guy expects us to believe LeBron would be able to stop a guy just 2 inches shorter than himself, arguably as quick / fast, with better deceptive footwork (jab step, rocker step, first step) much superior length and finishing ability than Rose?

Not to mention the best mid range shooting ability of these three guys? MJ is the best of both worlds. He's a better 5 on 5 player than Kobe, comparable 1 on 1 player with Kobe (little better due to athleticism) better 1 on 1 player than LeBron, yet comparable 5 on 5 player to James.

Arguably better considering his best statistical seasons, he put up better all around numbers than LeBron, doing things less ball in hand. Takes better quick strike skill. When he did have the ball in his hands as much as LeBron, in a PG facility to end the '89 season? He was putting up like 35 / 12 / 12 to end the season.

The answer is obvious.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: ust Jordan/LeBron one on one

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    Let's see now....the game's greatest finisher ever + also the current most effective post player in the league going up against a player 50 pounds lighter, 2 inches shorter, and there's no help D? WOW, this sure is a toughie....wait, no, it's actually not. This is LeBron. Every single time. There's not a single 1-on-1 match-up that I can actually see him losing. He'd always be be able to guard you better than you can guard him. He would completely overpower MJ here, who has no history of any defensive success against players bigger than him(he often struggled against them, in fact). Even someone like Clyde Drexler, who was barely bigger than him, generally had his way in the post with MJ. Just watch any Bulls-Blazers/Rockets game. Bulls had to double/triple Magic in the post every single time MJ was on him in the '91 Finals. Magic backed him down that easily. MJ's defensive greatness lied in guarding players smaller than him, and just his general activity(help D).

And what is this garbage about LeBron wilting the moment there's some trash talk? For one, LeBron's success in H2H match-ups against his peers is pretty much unprecedented. Particularly against the 2 premiere perimeter players of his era - Durant and Kobe. Two, can this bogus legend of MJ being this master trash talker who just shook you with words any time he was challenged end? There's not a single documented story of MJ trash talking against a star player and that player wilting. None. MJ wasn't even much of a talker. Maybe a comment here or there, but for the most part, he let his game entirely do the talking. Just watch the games, you pretty much never see him say anything. He even confirmed this in an interview with Leno in '97, how he NEVER talks and believes doing so would actually take him out of his game.
    And I would take Magic's post game and in general back to the basket ability well before I'd take Brons.

Lebron wouldnt be able to back down Jordan Hes not quick enough or skilled enough to back down from 15 feet and out.. Jordan would be all over him poking the ball away.. cutting angles off by predicting his moves. And Lebron could never keep up with Jordan one on one.. hes a better help defender than man.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by swagga
    y'all ever played 1v1? Size and ball handling is what matters, you don't even need a decent post game if you can trample the other guy.

lebron would murk jordan doe. Jordan maybe a better player, but in 1v1 brute force always wins when skill (not astethics) is comparable.

Here's doc vs cap. 3:11 is where it's at. And the speed diference is MUCH MUCH bigger in this case.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WagLsOTNlF8

Kobe/jordan stans

Any 6'9' dude with decent handles and decent weight is a nightmare in 1v1. Bird, magic, lebron would just wipe the floor with other SGs, PGs. Why you think the bulls ALWAYS put scottie on magic and not MJ, bucause Magic was fcukin MJ in the ass tbh. Go watch the series.

I agree with you. Strictly speaking 1v1, I think you guys are blowing things way out of proportion in terms of jordan having better first step, dribbling and shooting. If its just a pick up game thats 1v1 and less fouls are called you have to go with the 6'8 250 pound guy. Lets be real, jordan is going to have a tough time defending lbj and lbj is going to have a tough time guarding jordan. To say if they play 100 times and jordan wins 100 times is just ridiculous. Also I know I am taking the bait of the LBJ hater trolls but for those people saying LBJ has very good bball skills but weak mentality, dont you think that would be less amplified in a street game/ 1v1? If what you guys are saying about LBJ choking in the limelight is true, then LBJ should have no problem showing his true potential in a pickup game.....

Holy f*ck 1,700+ words!?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freshperry
    I agree with you. Strictly speaking 1v1, I think you guys are blowing things way out of proportion in terms of jordan having better first step, dribbling and shooting. If its just a pick up game thats 1v1 and less fouls are called you have to go with the 6'8 250 pound guy. Lets be real, jordan is going to have a tough time defending lbj and lbj is going to have a tough time guarding jordan. To say if they play 100 times and jordan wins 100 times is just ridiculous. Also I know I am taking the bait of the LBJ hater trolls but for those people saying LBJ has very good bball skills but weak mentality, dont you think that would be less amplified in a street game/ 1v1? If what you guys are saying about LBJ choking in the limelight is true, then LBJ should have no problem showing his true potential in a pickup game.....
    I mean its not like people wouldnt know about it.. Lebron absolutely shudders at the thought of losing a competitive one on one game to another all time great.

Same guy who wouldnt do a dunk contest.. hes not going to partake in anything extra that could potentially be embarrased in.

Lebron doesnt have 1/100th of the ISO ability of MJ.. hes a playmaker, ballhandler and creator first and foremost and likes to have picks set and play a more team oriented style of ball.

MJ is GOAT isolation player and in a different league than Lebron

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Holy f*ck 1,700+ words!?

this one is old get some new ammo. come on I get dunked on at the park but you can't come that weak

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    I mean its not like people wouldnt know about it.. Lebron absolutely shudders at the thought of losing a competitive one on one game to another all time great.

Same guy who wouldnt do a dunk contest.. hes not going to partake in anything extra that could potentially be embarrased in.

Lebron doesnt have 1/100th of the ISO ability of MJ.. hes a playmaker, ballhandler and creator first and foremost and likes to have picks set and play a more team oriented style of ball.

MJ is GOAT isolation player and in a different league than Lebron
    this guy gets it. it's not even really about the limelight, LeBron is just non-confrontational and doesn't seem to thrive in personal challenges, just wants to be great at contributing to something

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    wow glad we actually got some talk going here. to you clowns talkin trash at me for posting a wordy essay about this - I like to talk about basketball, and I'm an intelligent man with many thoughts and a lot to say. if you weren't a basketball nerd as well you wouldn't be on this f___ing site in the first place so stop being so self-conscious and piss off if you don't wanna read my thoughts.

and for the record (i'll go more in depth about it later), kobe/mj I would give mj the edge about 60/40. mj is more competitive, but kobe is more stubborn. they're so similar it's eerie. obviously mj was a lot better in the real 5 on 5 game, but in 1 on 1 it would be so close
    Any particular reason you don't take the time to capitalize your words?

Jordan quotes about Lebron one on one.
    “So if I have to guard him… I'm gonna push him left so nine times out of 10, he's gonna shoot a jump shot. If he goes right, he's going to the hole and I can't stop him. So I ain't letting him go right."
    -- Michael Jordan on LeBron James in ESPN The Magazine

The truth?

Lebron is better at scoring going left than right.
    Jordan needs to fire his scouts.
    In one on one he isnt stopping Lebron.

Ill give it to Jordan 6/10 times. But to say he would 100 out of 100 is ridiculous.
    Last edited by navy; 01-18-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Banned

Did any of you guys read all that shit? I aint wasting my time.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Any particular reason you don't take the time to capitalize your words?
    I never went to school so I didn't know I was supposed to

****s wrong wit people in this thread?

jordan > lebron for 5v5 but at 1v1 it don't matter you got goat skills if you're 2-3 inches shorter and 50 pounds lighter then a good ballhandling nba player. You can score 3-4 times in a row on jumpers but you can score 9-10 times in a row on primitive post ups, basic mathematics. You don't even need 5v5 post up skill, you just push until you reach middle.

WTF? Do people who post here actually hoop?

I'm done wit this thread nigka them nigs here is mad as fcuk and can't reason for shits. I thought det only in the army were da jordan stans the worst but it seems they are everywere. 4 reals. fcuk outta here wit det bullshiet.
    Last edited by swagga; 01-18-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    Did any of you guys read all that shit? I aint wasting my time.
    Just the time it took you to tell us you ain't wasting your time.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Lebron has the size advantage but his post-game doesn't take a huge advantage out of it like others do, more on drives.
    Actually, Lebron would score at will on Jordan in the post.

It's not even a fair one-on-one scenario tbh. But it would definitely be a close match-up. Jordan probably wouldn't miss much either.... but he couldn't systematically exploit any facet of the match-up the same way Lebron could (size advantage)

I think people often underestimate the importance of size in 1-n-1 scenarios.