Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Default Re: Larry Bird vs. Magic Johnson - Complete Career Head-to-Head Stats

With these two if could go either way. But offensively, Magic is the most versatile player of all time. I also think he's a bigger defensive matchup problem than Bird as well. Magic is also the greatest passer of all time and is still an alpha dog. And finally, Magic is more durable. So I'm fine with many saying Bird is better. But Magic is more of an anamoly who redefined his position more than any player did IN ANY SPORT. So peak wise i'm fine with people saying Bird. GOAT wise, (which is the defining measurement of a player) Magic HAS to be the answer!

For me, I think if you look at individual skills Bird might be better, but if you look at impact on a team, a 6'8" point guard might change a team more than a 6'9" small forward who could play big or small.

The Showtime Lakers's identity was built around his skills on the break. And the fact, you absolutely had to put a man on him or else he would just right to rim.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    For me, I think if you look at individual skills Bird might be better, but if you look at impact on a team, a 6'8" point guard might change a team more than a 6'9" small forward who could play big or small.

The Showtime Lakers's identity was built around his skills on the break. And the fact, you absolutely had to put a man on him or else he would just right to rim.
    Well said! Skill for skill, Bird is better than Magic. Bird is arguably the most skilled offensive player of all time. But I think Magic is the most versatile offensive player of all time. The mismatches Magic created were insane. He was bigger than the PG's, SG's, and even most SF's. Plus he's likely the best passer of all time. Which was enhanced by his size.