Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Are Tennis Players Underrated In Terms Of Athleticism?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.big35
    can you play 5 hour long tennis match
    Herp derp can you run a marathon?

Herp derp can you cycle in the tour de france?

Why ask such a stupid question that gets you no where? And yes... I play tennis regularly... no where near as demanding as soccer, rugby, wrestling, running, swimming, cycling, etc..

Hell I have a tougher time playing pick up basketball games than I do competitive tennis matches.

If you think Nadal or Djoke are even close to being in the discussion of "most conditioned in the world" then you clearly don't have a clue what the **** you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    Exactly what I thought... you just talking out of your ass per usual.

No one on planet earth thinks Tennis players have the best stamina of all athletes.

You've clearly never played sports.. have you? Or understand the dynamics of them.

Tennis players have the most stamina of all athletes.

****ing comedian you are guy.
    How can that be a laughable statement?

They sprint around the court 5 hours long.

You are an idiot man.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei89

You are an idiot man.
    Also they have return more than 100 mph serve

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    The big-named tennis players are always considered great athletes. Problem is tennis just isn't that popular so there's only a few that get mainstream attention

tennis is very popular

there are just no big time US born mens players right now.

get a couple of those and it will suddenly be on Sportscenter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    Exactly what I thought... you just talking out of your ass per usual.

No one on planet earth thinks Tennis players have the best stamina of all athletes.

You've clearly never played sports.. have you? Or understand the dynamics of them.

Tennis players have the most stamina of all athletes.

****ing comedian you are guy.
    Well I've played tennis, football, soccer, baseball, and cross country in competitive settings. Tennis requires a ton of endurance when you play somebody worth a shit. Only cross country and to a lesser degree soccer (depends on position) really compare in my experience.
    Last edited by kentatm; 01-25-2014 at 03:06 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

Back when American males dominated tennis, it used to be a bigger sport in the states. But American males have sucked in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei89

You are an idiot man.
    except that they dont actually sprint for 5 hours...no one does.
    A tennis match that goes 5 hours long is in the record range for longest tennis matches of all time. And im pretty sure that includes the breaks or time they take to switch sides, pick the ball, taking a breather while asking for ball boys to get their towel, etc.

Also a lot of points is just a back and forth exchange with someone committing a mistake. Having done boxing, soccer, basketball and tennis i can honestly say that tennis is amiong the one requiring the less stamina.

heres an example of a rally in tennis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDm254jtZA

They are elite athletes, and considered so worldwide. It's true the sport isn't exploding in the States, for obvious reasons, but worldwide it's extremely popular.

I'm not sure about calling the sport elite in regards to stamina. I played when I was younger and it was nothing compared to something like BJJ or Wrestling. I'm not sure it's even on par with Basketball if we're talking strictly a competitive environment. I never played Football or Hockey, but I've heard Hockey (skating) is actually the most demanding of the major sports.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Personally tennis is above all - in my opinion technique and mental strength....

I would be interested if someone measured speed, acceleration, change of direction, strength and explosiveness, stamina amongst the top 50 in mens game to see what the differences are..I bet there wouldn't be a huge variance between the top 20-50, maybe not even that much between the top 10. (I know people bang on about Novak and rafa, but outside of those two....every player seems to be fit, well fit enough to hit a ball)

The mental game and aura a player can have over another is a huge part of tennis....Fed is suppose to be GOAT, but Rafa just owns him......much like Fed use to own Roddick....

Plus, it's one v one...the pressure to close out is immense, there's no clock to win the game for you, you have to beat your opponent...Lebron with his mental make up would be a piss poor player (2011 finals lebron), where Kobe with all his selfish flaws would probably be great...

Then the technique aspect, if you practice with the slightest incorrect swing, then all it will do is make it worse....there's more of a variance for technique in basketball or football....

Quote Originally Posted by stevieming
    Personally tennis is above all - in my opinion technique and mental strength....

I would be interested if someone measured speed, acceleration, change of direction, strength and explosiveness, stamina amongst the top 50 in mens game to see what the differences are..I bet there wouldn't be a huge variance between the top 20-50, maybe not even that much between the top 10. (I know people bang on about Novak and rafa, but outside of those two....every player seems to be fit, well fit enough to hit a ball)

The mental game and aura a player can have over another is a huge part of tennis....Fed is suppose to be GOAT, but Rafa just owns him......much like Fed use to own Roddick....

Plus, it's one v one...the pressure to close out is immense, there's no clock to win the game for you, you have to beat your opponent...Lebron with his mental make up would be a piss poor player (2011 finals lebron), where Kobe with all his selfish flaws would probably be great...

Then the technique aspect, if you practice with the slightest incorrect swing, then all it will do is make it worse....there's more of a variance for technique in basketball or football....
    Maybe im different but i always felt like you get less pressure in individual sports as opposed to team sports. If you fail in a tennis match it only hurts you. In basketball or any other team sport missing a shot hurts not only you but also all your teammates. Theres way more pressure to perform well in a team environnement, especially if you're an all star player.

Would you rather miss a game winning smash to win the wimbledon or miss the game winning free throw in game 7 of the NBA finals?
    Last edited by PistonsFan#21; 01-28-2014 at 08:49 PM.

NBA Legend

They are not underrated as athletes.

The average tennis player is extremely athletic, and I think most people recognize that.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    Would you rather miss a game winning smash to win the wimbledon or miss the game winning free throw in game 7 of the NBA finals?

An alpha is more disappointed when he lets down himself than when he carries a bunch of scrubs to the very end but then can't manage to close it out "for them."

That's what an alpha do.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    An alpha is more disappointed when he lets down himself than when he carries a bunch of scrubs to the very end but then can't manage to close it out "for them."

That's what an alpha do.
    so missing free throws isnt letting himself down? and closing out for who? you act as if the player isnt part of the team. Also theres no mention of scrubs anywhere in my post.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    so missing free throws isnt letting himself down? and closing out for who? you act as if the player isnt part of the team. Also theres no mention of scrubs anywhere in my post.

I was being half-facetious, but you mentioned an all-star feeling more pressure because his team is counting on him. If he's carrying them in the first place, he has no reason to feel bad if he falters other than the disappointment he'd feel in himself for not finishing the job. But he'd feel that whether it's an individual sport or a team sport.

He's disappointed in himself for not succeeding, not embarrassed because he didn't live up to the expectations of others. DATS ALPHA

I played tennis and badminton all the way through highschool and it's definitely helped with my lateral speed in basketball.
    Tennis requires great footwork, great flexibility, acceleration, endurance, and arm strength. It's a tough sport. I challenge any of you basketball players who think you got cardio for days to play more than 2 sets of tennis with a novice player.

Good college starter

Some top tennis players would have been near the top at any sports IMO. It's an interesting sport because it takes a ton of athleticism + high IQ + psychological endurance, and if you are missing any of them you will never be elite. Most tennis players are pretty well-rounded as far as athleticism goes.

In particular, I would have loved to see what Monfils could do as a basketball player seeing how he's got the crazy speed/agility/creativity combination. I've read that he would have been an Olympic 100m finalist-level type if he'd stuck with track. He's certainly got the showboating down.

As far as endurance goes it doesn't compare to running/cycling/etc. physically, but it's very different from other sports psychologically because it's 1v1 for 3-5 hours and if you lapse mentally you will lose fast. to the previous poster, on the lower levels of tennis it is not exhausting to play 2 or 3 sets. For most moderately conditioned people who have played a little tennis it's not too tiring. I mean there's 60 year olds everywhere who will play 5 matches in a weekend if there's a tournament. Of course the pros go at it 100% for the whole match so it's a different story.
    Last edited by yobore; 01-28-2014 at 11:11 PM.