Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Default Re: The Wilt Chamberlain Offensive Scouting Report Project Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Here is an upload of the sections i mentioned

http://youtu.be/0iw95y9QiZ0

Just watched the Lobs/Deep catches/Transition section, good stuff.

I actually like the dub of Wilt as part of the audio. It's a nice touch.

Wait, 10-12 minutes for the right block and two-man stuff? That's good to hear, I was under the impression that there's not much good right block footage out there.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Wait, 10-12 minutes for the right block and two-man stuff? That's good to hear, I was under the impression that there's not much good right block footage out there.
    Oh there's plenty, right block is his primary outlet for the finger roll, there should be as much footage of him on the right block as there is of him on the left, or very nearly so, he was proficient on both sides.

Just watched the Lobs/Deep catches/Transition section, good stuff.

I actually like the dub of Wilt as part of the audio. It's a nice touch.
    2 new finger rolls in a row starting at 7:10 and another one at 7:25 added to the left block section, another ball fake dunk at 5:26

Oh there's plenty, right block is his primary outlet for the finger roll, there should be as much footage of him on the right block as there is of him on the left, or very nearly so, he was proficient on both sides.
    Very nice.
    2 new finger rolls in a row starting at 7:10 and another one at 7:25 added to the left block section, another ball fake dunk at 5:26
    Nice, just watched those plays.

Anyone willing to help get some preliminary field goal counts?

http://youtu.be/P2zwdINBRkM

Still missing the 2 sections (2 man game and right block) but I'm thinking I want to premise the final video by stating the estimated % of his career fgm that exists on film at the very start of the final project. If I get some counts of field goals of these completed sections it will be easier for me to just add them to the final two sections.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-25-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Anyone willing to help get some preliminary field goal counts?

http://youtu.be/P2zwdINBRkM

Still missing the 2 sections (2 man game and right block) but I'm thinking I want to premise the final video by stating the estimated % of his career fgm that exists on film at the very start of the final project. If I get some counts of field goals of these completed sections it will be easier for me to just add them to the final two sections.
    I can take a look at the left block when I get home. Maybe someone else can try the offensive rebounding and finishing/transition (the plays happen pretty quickly so it might be hard to keep track of them).

I can take a look at the left block when I get home. Maybe someone else can try the offensive rebounding and finishing/transition (the plays happen pretty quickly so it might be hard to keep track of them).
    youtube has a .25 and .5 playback speed function now which should help

youtube has a .25 and .5 playback speed function now which should help
    Ah, didn't know that. Well, I'll try it out then. Anything to help out.

Ah, didn't know that. Well, I'll try it out then. Anything to help out.
    If I can find the time I'll count what fpliii doesn't. Slow mo helps a lot, it's the only reason I caught a missed fallaway jumper by Wilt that was tipped in by a teammate.

Okay here's what I've got for Left Block:

Left block scoring 87 FGM on film, in this order (this accounts for duplicate footage of the same plays):
    *Quick Baseline Spins/Drives (6) 6.9% of Left Block FGM
    *Ball fake up and unders (3) 3.4% of Left Block FGM
    *Bulldozing Drop steps (5) 5.7% of Left Block FGM
    *Inside Step Finger Rolls (3) 3.4% of Left Block FGM
    *Clear Path Drop Steps (due to fronted post) (14) 16.1% of Left Block FGM
    *Outside Step Finger Rolls (19) 21.8% of Left Block FGM
    *Outside Step Jump Hook shot (1) 1.2% of Left Block FGM
    *Fall away Jump shots (36) 41.4% of Left Block FGM

Please correct me if my nomenclature/descriptive terms can be improved.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-25-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Okay here's what I've got for Left Block:

Left block scoring 87 FGM on film
    *Quick Baseline Spins/Drives (6) 6.9% of Left Block FGM
    *Ball fake up and unders (3) 3.4% of Left Block FGM
    *Bulldozing Drop steps (5) 5.7% of Left Block FGM
    *Inside Step Finger Rolls (3) 3.4% of Left Block FGM
    *Clear Path Drop Steps due to fronted post (14) 16.1% of Left Block FGM
    *Outside Step Finger Roll (19) 21.8% of Left Block FGM
    *Outside Step Jump Hook shot (1) 1.2% of Left Block FGM
    *Fall away Jump shots (36) 41.4% of Left Block FGM

Please correct me if my nomenclature/descriptive terms can be improved.
    Hm well the way I figure:

1) Generally when someone leaves the post-up, you'll hear they went baseline or to the middle.

2) Now, I'm not an authority, but can we call a finger roll itself a post move? Or just a shot type? I'd categorize the finger rolls by the move used to get the shot off, and group them in with drop steps or spin moves.

3) Speaking of drop steps and spin moves, how are we drawing the distinction? They look very similar.

4) Also, when you say inside do you mean towards the paint? Or towards the baseline?

Based on my understanding of your categories:

Hm well the way I figure:

1) Generally when someone leaves the post-up, you'll hear they went baseline or to the middle.

2) Now, I'm not an authority, but can we call a finger roll itself a post move? Or just a shot type? I'd categorize the finger rolls by the move used to get the shot off, and group them in with drop steps or spin moves.

3) Speaking of drop steps and spin moves, how are we drawing the distinction? They look very similar.

4) Also, when you say inside do you mean towards the paint? Or towards the baseline?

Based on my understanding of your categories:

• baseline spins
    • up and unders (the fake is understood, I don't think you need to say it)
    • drop steps to the middle
    • (I'd eliminated inside finger rolls and group them into middle drop steps, though maybe those can be combined)
    • (I don't quite understand this category "Clear Path Drop Steps due to fronted post", can you elaborate or show a sample?)
    • spins/steps to the baseline (I have trouble with this distinction as I said above)
    • (I'd group this in with spins to the baseline)
    • (I'd separate fadeaways into two categories depending on whether he turns over his left shoulder or right)

Just brainstorming, apologies if this makes little sense.
    to the baseline or middle is how i was referring to 'inside' or 'outside' - thanks for pointing out the better terminology

a finger roll is just a finishing move not a post move, the post move would be what got Wilt into position to release the finger roll
    (so I guess that would be a drop step to the middle... identical move used to get him into position for his 1 jump hook as well). Question though, is it different if he turns to the middle to release a finger roll than it is if he turns toward the middle around his defender but gets himself so close to the basket so as to be able to dunk? Is there a critical difference?

starting at 6:21 i lumped a series of 14 clips together of Wilt being defended by players fronting the post, I take it all of those would count as baseline drop steps?

Maybe watch the left block sequence again and let me know what your suggestions are for a better categorization and organization of the clips? Now's the time for me to make changes, I dont' want to make the video go public until it is ready and easy to understand. I will be able to duplicate the format for the right block.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-25-2014 at 08:34 PM.

to the baseline or middle is how i was referring to 'inside' or 'outside' - thanks for pointing out the better terminology

a finger roll is just a finishing move not a post move, the post move would be what got Wilt into position to release the finger roll
    (so I guess that would be a drop step to the middle... identical move used to get him into position for his 1 jump hook as well). Question though, is it different if he turns to the middle to release a finger roll than it is if he turns toward the middle around his defender but gets himself so close to the basket so as to be able to dunk? Is there a critical difference?

starting at 6:21 i lumped a series of 14 clips together of Wilt being defended by players fronting the post, I take it all of those would count as baseline drop steps?

Maybe watch the left block sequence again and let me know what your suggestions are for a better categorization and organization of the clips? Now's the time for me to make changes, I dont' want to make the video go public until it is ready and easy to understand. I will be able to duplicate the format for the right block.
    I'm not sure about that. I think one might be considered the spin move, the other might be a drop step.

6:19 Okay, first play I'd say wasn't a post up. Wilt already got perfect position, so he won the battle beforehand.

6:24 I'm not sure about this. This is actually a very impressive play. Wilt seems to gather and roll baseline right into the defender and finished. It looks like he started with the drop step (when he gathers), though he launched off of two feet. Tough call.

6:26 Much like the first one, Wilt had already beaten his defender at this point I think (not 100% sure). If not, it would be a baseline drop step.

6:30 He already had won position here, but he used a baseline drop step.

6:34 Another drop step.

6:37 I don't think this was a post up, already had position.

6:42 Already had position, probably not a post up.

6:48 Definitely a drop step.

6:57 Already beat the defender, but the move was a drop step.

6:59 Drop step.

7:03 This is another tough play. We can't see his feet, but I think it's a drop step (impressively through, over the defender instead of around).

7:06 Nice baseline drop step.

7:08 Now this one I'm not sure about. There was no step taken as far as I can tell, but maybe I'm wrong. Spin move?

7:12 Can't tell, might also be a spin move.

For the last two, I'm not sure. The way I figure:

1) Drop step means you take a long step, lower center of gravity (rotation near the hip), maybe dribble to gather, and go right up.

2) With the spin move, the rotation is with the upper body instead. It's more of a quick, sweeping motion instead of a deliberate lunge toward the basket.

Again, I'm by no means an authority on this, hope it helps somewhat. I picked up a copy of Pete Newell's playing big, maybe I'll be able to better comment when I've had a chance to read it (though it might be too late then).

BTW I'm home now, do you still need counts on the other sections (it seems you've already figured counted the left block plays)?

I'm not sure about that. I think one might be considered the spin move, the other might be a drop step.

6:19 Okay, first play I'd say wasn't a post up. Wilt already got perfect position, so he won the battle beforehand.

6:24 I'm not sure about this. This is actually a very impressive play. Wilt seems to gather and roll baseline right into the defender and finished. It looks like he started with the drop step (when he gathers), though he launched off of two feet. Tough call.

6:26 Much like the first one, Wilt had already beaten his defender at this point I think (not 100% sure). If not, it would be a baseline drop step.

6:30 He already had won position here, but he used a baseline drop step.

6:34 Another drop step.

6:37 I don't think this was a post up, already had position.

6:42 Already had position, probably not a post up.

6:48 Definitely a drop step.

6:57 Already beat the defender, but the move was a drop step.

6:59 Drop step.

7:03 This is another tough play. We can't see his feet, but I think it's a drop step (impressively through, over the defender instead of around).

7:06 Nice baseline drop step.

7:08 Now this one I'm not sure about. There was no step taken as far as I can tell, but maybe I'm wrong. Spin move?

7:12 Can't tell, might also be a spin move.

For the last two, I'm not sure. The way I figure:

1) Drop step means you take a long step, lower center of gravity (rotation near the hip), maybe dribble to gather, and go right up.

2) With the spin move, the rotation is with the upper body instead. It's more of a quick, sweeping motion instead of a deliberate lunge toward the basket.

Again, I'm by no means an authority on this, hope it helps somewhat. I picked up a copy of Pete Newell's playing big, maybe I'll be able to better comment when I've had a chance to read it (though it might be too late then).

BTW I'm home now, do you still need counts on the other sections (it seems you've already figured counted the left block plays)?
    thanks for your input, it is appreciated, yes I counted the left block plays if you'd like and have time you can count any of the other sections, watch out for duplicate plays from different camera angles there are a few