Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Wilt Chamberlain Offensive Scouting Report Project Thread:

I know they're difficult to master and not the best shots in every situation, but the finger roll and fadeaway are definitely among the most aesthetically pleasing to watch.
    Last edited by fpliii; 02-10-2014 at 04:23 PM.

For reasonable time constraints I feel I may need to do a seperate video for scoring and passing. Still not sure on that though, part of me doesn't like the idea of breaking up his offense when people will be trying to assess his level of skill or decision making say, on the low block. Wilt's positioning and skill for scoring and passing are very intertwined, he's constantly feigning handoffs and passes or feigning shots to keep the defense honest. In the low block for instance he's a constant threat to hit shooters or hit someone backdoor so he often pauses for a long time before making a move. In a video strictly of his scoring, people may not understand why he takes so much time without the context of seeing how he passes. Still though, there's so much footage I've got I don't know if it will all fit into a reasonable sized compilation.

Here's a preliminary glance, the intro on his physical traits, moving into left block scoring - these two sections are still missing clips from my Wilt vs Kareem matchup footage so even they are not finished sections:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvLad8avkmU

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    For reasonable time constraints I feel I may need to do a seperate video for scoring and passing. Still not sure on that though, part of me doesn't like the idea of breaking up his offense when people will be trying to assess his level of skill or decision making say, on the low block. Wilt's positioning and skill for scoring and passing are very intertwined, he's constantly feigning handoffs and passes or feigning shots to keep the defense honest. In the low block for instance he's a constant threat to hit shooters or hit someone backdoor so he often pauses for a long time before making a move. In a video strictly of his scoring, people may not understand why he takes so much time without the context of seeing how he passes. Still though, there's so much footage I've got I don't know if it will all fit into a reasonable sized compilation.

Here's a preliminary glance, the intro on his physical traits, moving into left block scoring - these two sections are still missing clips from my Wilt vs Kareem matchup footage so even they are not finished sections:
    Great, great stuff.

I think, as you said, the passing is important. Maybe you can split it in two parts: first part being low post from both blocks (including passing), and the second can be the rest of his offense?

I don't personally mind if the video is long, but I can understand where you're coming from. Maybe listing the times when different segments start in the description will help?

OT - BTW I just noticed that he used a move similar to the Tomahawk fake on Pettit from the ASG at 7:40 (though his back was to the basket). Pretty impressive fake, did he do it any other time in your footage?

National High School Star

Meh footwork.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Great, great stuff.

I think, as you said, the passing is important. Maybe you can split it in two parts: first part being low post from both blocks (including passing), and the second can be the rest of his offense?

I don't personally mind if the video is long, but I can understand where you're coming from. Maybe listing the times when different segments start in the description will help?

OT - BTW I just noticed that he used a move similar to the Tomahawk fake on Pettit from the ASG at 7:40 (though his back was to the basket). Pretty impressive fake, did he do it any other time in your footage?
    That overhead wind-up is something he does a few times in various sequences, I've got him doing that a few more times, though since they aren't in this left block scoring footage I'm assuming they are either in the from a passing highlight or maybe from some of his 2-man game baskets like on a give and go. I don't think he does that on the right block. His right block clips are an interesting contrast to the left block, he changes his scoring habits quite a bit depending on which side he's on.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-10-2014 at 06:32 PM.

That overhead wind-up is something he does a few times in various sequences, I've got him doing that a few more times, though since they aren't in this left block scoring footage I'm assuming they are either in the from a passing highlight or maybe from some of his 2-man game baskets like on a give and go. I don't think he does that on the right block. His right block clips are an interesting contrast to the left block, he changes his scoring habits quite a bit depending on which side he's on.
    Not to spoil it, but what are the key differences between the left and right blocks?

Not to spoil it, but what are the key differences between the left and right blocks?
    Just the frequency of moves, and how it alters their appearance. He takes more fade aways than finger rolls on the left, but the opposite is true on the right. He also does the quick baseline spin repeatedly on the right block, where as I only have that one attempt captured on film on the left block. Late in his career he quite literally never shoots a fall away from the right side, though early in his career it seems he may have taken just as many or nearly so as he did on the left side.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-10-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Just the frequency of moves, and how it alters their appearance. He takes more fade aways than finger rolls on the left, but the opposite is true on the right. He also does the quick baseline spin repeatedly on the right block, where as I only have that one attempt captured on film on the left block. Late in his career he quite literally never shoots a fall away from the right side, though early in his career it seems he may have taken just as many or nearly so as he did on the left side.
    Ah okay, good stuff.

BTW does either of my proposals (either splitting into two videos, the first low block on both sides including passing, or instead one long video with start times of segments in the description) sound reasonable? Or were you thinking of splitting a different way?

Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

Awesome idea. Really looking forward to the full vid

5-time NBA All-Star

Cavs, on the passing part there are a couple of clips, I don't know if they are your clips or not, of Wilt hitting the second cutter and sometimes the second cutter is coming from the opposite side of the court going for the rebound. It takes a lot of court awareness to do that as it is an impromptu pass that reflects an understanding of court dynamics.

Ah okay, good stuff.

BTW does either of my proposals (either splitting into two videos, the first low block on both sides including passing, or instead one long video with start times of segments in the description) sound reasonable? Or were you thinking of splitting a different way?
    If I have the video split I really just might do scoring, then a passing video. But we'll see, I'd rather do one long one than split it but if the video for example is longer than 25 minutes JUST on scoring I may split it. I know you might, but most people won't sit through 3 minutes of footage let alone 25, my longest videos are my least viewed.

I added the Kareem footage and now I'm rendering what I THINK will be a complete version of Wilt's left block scoring section (audio and clip organization subject to change, but the footage is there). I'll have it up on YT tomorrow for you to check out. Wilt did 2 baseline spins against Kareem so that means Wilt does a baseline spin 3 times on film from the left block which closes the gap a bit in comparison to how many times I've got him doing it from the right block... this is the one problem with having such a small sample size of footage, he clearly had moves in his repertoire that we only have a few clips of, there's so little footage of his alternative moves that just finding one or two clips can alter my perception of how often he used a move. Or in the case of the recent efootage uploads, show us moves we never even had footage of Wilt doing previously so to someone like me who never saw him play, it shows him doing something I never saw him do before.

It is not unreasonable to assume we might be missing quite a few alternative moves of his. I've got 'lot's' of Wilt footage, as in I could probably make an hour long mix which would be ridiculous, but it's becoming clear how 'relatively' little I have, as not all of my footage is the 'highlight' material other players are lucky to have being that nearly all of their careers exist on film. The footage I have to work with is just a window to a more or less random 2% of his career, bias towards the latter half of his career and bias towards Finals/Playoffs/ASG's. Having just a random 2% of any players career in this fashion is not a lot when you start trying to analyze specifics on his versatility/variety for playing /scoring.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-11-2014 at 02:35 AM.

If I have the video split I really just might do scoring, then a passing video. But we'll see, I'd rather do one long one than split it but if the video for example is longer than 25 minutes JUST on scoring I may split it. I know you might, but most people won't sit through 3 minutes of footage let alone 25, my longest videos are my least viewed.

I added the Kareem footage and now I'm rendering what I THINK will be a complete version of Wilt's left block scoring section (audio and clip organization subject to change, but the footage is there). I'll have it up on YT tomorrow for you to check out. Wilt did 2 baseline spins against Kareem so that means Wilt does a baseline spin 3 times on film from the left block which closes the gap a bit in comparison to how many times I've got him doing it from the right block... this is the one problem with having such a small sample size of footage, he clearly had moves in his repertoire that we only have a few clips of, there's so little footage of his alternative moves that just finding one or two clips can alter my perception of how often he used a move. Or in the case of the recent efootage uploads, show us moves we never even had footage of Wilt doing previously so to someone like me who never saw him play, it shows him doing something I never saw him do before.

It is not unreasonable to assume we might be missing quite a few alternative moves of his. I've got 'lot's' of Wilt footage, as in I could probably make an hour long mix which would be ridiculous, but it's becoming clear how 'relatively' little I have, as not all of my footage is the 'highlight' material other players are lucky to have being that nearly all of their careers exist on film. The footage I have to work with is just a window to a more or less random 2% of his career, bias towards the latter half of his career and bias towards Finals/Playoffs/ASG's. Having just a random 2% of any players career in this fashion is not a lot when you start trying to analyze specifics on his versatility/variety for playing /scoring.
    Sounds great, looking forward to it. Nice to hear that about the baseline spin and the other extra footage.

BTW in the long term after you're done with your current projects, do you think you'd be interested in doing something similar for Bucks Kareem? Or do you think it's unnecessary?

Sounds great, looking forward to it. Nice to hear that about the baseline spin and the other extra footage.

BTW in the long term after you're done with your current projects, do you think you'd be interested in doing something similar for Bucks Kareem? Or do you think it's unnecessary?
    I've been contemplating restructuring the Russell mix like this it's a lot of work but it might be worth it. I could do a Bucks Kareem mix like this too down the road that's possible.

I've been contemplating restructuring the Russell mix like this it's a lot of work but it might be worth it. I could do a Bucks Kareem mix like this too down the road that's possible.
    Nice.

My question about the Russ mix is, is there enough footage to put together an offensive mix based on his post moves? Though I guess you could get into the playing five positions thing with him.

Maybe it's just me, but I think Russ would be best served with a mix focussing on athleticism/versatility on offense and defense/passing/shotblocking/crazy rebounds. I feel like the main "knocks" on Russ by casual fans are:

BTW I just saw that your Nate mix is unlisted. Was this the final version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pwS6dxlR6g

?

Or do I have an old link?