Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    rank sentamentalist

Default Re: Selfies are an inherently feminist act

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    So your problem with that post is that you believe that women deserve unilaterally equal pay to men?
    lol no

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    lol no
    lol what then?

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    lol what then?
    i already explained why above lol. i mean i believe in equal pay in principle but in reality its much more complicated than just saying "women deserve unilaterally equal pay to men", whatever you happen to mean by unilaterally

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    i already explained why above lol. i mean i believe in equal pay in principle but in reality its much more complicated than just saying "women deserve unilaterally equal pay to men", whatever you happen to mean by unilaterally
    Well, if you explained what was so offensive about that post, I must've missed it in my numerous readings. You said that:
    in the parentheses though he's not the first person to make that sort of completely disingenuous analogy with regard to equal pay
    even though the parenthesised remark was not an analogy, just a sarcastic suggestion. That was (and another post about the same sentence) all I could find of you being specific about which part of the equal pay argument you disagreed with.

By "unilaterally", I meant some kind of a wage law prohibiting paying a male more than female. I'm not sure how else you could have taken that statement, but I hope that this is more helpful in getting you to understand my ramblings than your "lol no" post.

rank sentamentalist

yeah, not an analogy. a characterization. feminists are whiners who do nothing but pout and shout until their demands are met. that's an extremely common and in my opinion a very poor characterization of actual feminists. it's not a completely unreasonable take on shitty pop feminist websites and celebrities like jezebel and others, but thats not why i took objection.

I meant some kind of a wage law prohibiting paying a male more than female
    i dunno, unilaterally i took to mean by the individual, thats why i was confused. just a weird word to use

but those already exist in most social democracies. in canada for like 40 years or whatever. its also bound by un declarations which underline the same principle. not sure if the united states has ratified any of those but obviously from the civil rights movement and into the 70s there are laws on the books that require equal pay. but its complicated and fraught with exemptions that are plain common sense; seniority, experience, merit, all that good stuff that factor into how much people earn. and then you have systematic gender divides by trade, customer service sectors dominated by women, trades finance bunch of other ones dominated by men. and in some countries, if under the same organization, you can prove that the work you do is as important to collective success as the word some one else does but they're paid more, you have recourse to the law. and that's enormously problematic as well, mostly because thats an almost absurd burden of proof to meet.

there shouldn't be any denying that those laws have played a significant role in undermining sexist workplace discrimination, but they have also caused a host of problems that obviously in certain cases discriminate against people with privilege. which isn't good either.

so its complicated lol
    Last edited by RidonKs; 02-02-2014 at 12:00 PM.