Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Default Re: Do you think a letter to my CEO is appropriate?

a real baller would ask for more. the extra $1000 was just to keep you feeling loyal to a company you saw firing people all around you. you're no better than a scab walking through a picket line

Saying you are excited to be on board and looking forward to contributing in any way you can shows a keeness he will appreciate.

Jesus christ this is the last place I'd ask for business advice..

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

I wouldn't send the letter. First, it was probably a difficult decision for him to terminate his employees and give you a raise in addition to that. It's sort of an insult to write him a letter thanking him for raising your wages while others got fired.
    Also, it was likely your performance that allowed you to remain an employee of that organization. You deserved to stay so any thank you letter may seem like an ass-kissing letter.

What I would recommend you do is have a brief conversation with him and tell him that you will work 2x harder as a token of appreciation for not terminating you and giving you an increase in wages. My second job at 18 was working at a small kiosk and two employees got fired for stealing and the remaining three employees saw their hours increase. My hours went from 25 to 40, by far the largest increase in comparison to the other two co-workers. When I had a chance to talk to my boss I just thanked him for increasing my hours and that I will work harder as a token of appreciation.
    If you don't want to work two times harder than this is not an approach that I would recommend.

If I may ask and it's not personal; what do you do for that company?

Dunking on everybody in the park

Send him a letter asking for a bigger raise

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    *In before "who cares what ISH thinks?"

I recently got a raise of an additional $1000 a month. The company has restructured for 2014. Some key employees have been terminated and I have been fortunate enough to be kept on board. To me I feel valued and at the same time humbled that my CEO feels I'm key to the long term success. Dymatize just got bought out by Post so there is huge expectations to provide.
    My question is should I write a thank you letter or will it come across as ass kissing?
    Nope no letter or e-mail or text or call

But if you run into him in the hallway then be confident, show (or pretend) you're glad to see him/her. You may say thanks at that time if you want. Remember though it's the same prick that fired your peers so don't get too cozy with bosshead.

1. If you a*skiss, make sure you are being honest about it. There is nothing wrong with this, in fact, it shows him you're on board and agree with the direction the company is heading. Say something like you appreciate him making the hard and right decisions, and that you are thankful for the opportunity to stay with the company and move it forward. As a past manager, it's always great to hear good feedback about the job I was doing. You can call it a*s kissing all you want, but expressing gratitude towards your job goes a long way, of course, you're gonna have to show the work to back it up.

2. If you are sending a letter, it is also a great opportunity to let your voice be heard. Tell him about what you are going to do to help the company move forward. Make sure it is practical and not something vague like "I'll do the best I can." Give him an outline on your strategies and if you haven't already, throw in the idea you would like to move up. The guy most likely to move up is usually the guy who wants it the most and expresses it to upper management, so throwing it out there is always a good move whether you get it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one6
    Actions > words

Show thanks by doing great work and validating the raise.
    Words are just as important as action. Sometimes actions will go unnoticed; there are large companies with a lot of employees that don't pay attention to every employee, and the employees that move up are usually the ones closest to the supervisors and are vocal about wanting to move up.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Ass kissing.
    Call it what you want, but it works if it is done honestly with no ulterior motive. It is ok to tell a boss he's doing a good job and you appreciate how he handles the company because it directly affects you.

1. You are indirectly communicating to him you know and respect the system.

2. You won't be a problem.

3. You have the best opportunity for advancement because you know and respect the system.

I had an opportunity this morning so I decided to take advantage and comment to my CEO about the status of my employment.
    It is his birthday today and I e-mailed him a birthday greeting

at the end I wrote one simple comment:

"I would also like to take this opportunity to say I am very pleased with the direction of the company and I feel privileged to be a part of it."

Well gave me a call and gave me high praise. He expressed how pleased he is with my performance and how happy he has me on the team. We discussed tools I need for me to be successful and looked at opportunities for the future.

I got to tell you, I am charged up. I realize now I set a new bar for myself to exceed, but it's always reassuring to know you are valued.
    Last edited by hateraid; 02-04-2014 at 01:44 PM.

I had an opportunity this morning so I decided to take advantage and comment to my CEO about the status of my employment.
    It is his birthday today and I e-mailed him a birthday greeting

at the end I wrote one simple comment:

"I would also like to take this opportunity to say I am very pleased with the direction of the company and I feel privileged to be a part of it."

Well gave me a call and gave me high praise. He expressed how pleased he is with my performance and how happy he has me on the team. We discussed tools I need for me to be successful and looked at opportunities for the future.

I got to tell you, I am charged up. I realize not I set a new bar for myself to exceed, but it's always reassuring to know you are valued.

That's pretty awesome. Congratulations. If I were you I'd take that extra 12 grand and go on an elaborate Caribbean vacation. Each day you're there text a pic to your boss with a "You Mad" caption.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul

That's pretty awesome. Congratulations. If I were you I'd take that extra 12 grand and go on an elaborate Caribbean vacation. Each day you're there text a pic to your boss with a "You Mad" caption.

Thanks bud.
    I'm using it to upgrade my son's space. Get him a bigger bed since he's 9. I might enlist him in football.
    It's puts in into perspective when you calculate the income end of year. sadly taxes are gonna eat that up

*In before "who cares what ISH thinks?"

I recently got a raise of an additional $1000 a month. The company has restructured for 2014. Some key employees have been terminated and I have been fortunate enough to be kept on board. To me I feel valued and at the same time humbled that my CEO feels I'm key to the long term success. Dymatize just got bought out by Post so there is huge expectations to provide.
    My question is should I write a thank you letter or will it come across as ass kissing?
    ass kissing, like others have said show your appreciation by performance.

p.s. congrats on the raise and confidence your company has shown in you

Would that be excessive on top of the Valentine's card?
    maybe just a nice reach around? keep it casual with no expectations imo