Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
       

Default Re: Why was the Black Elvis hated on so much?

one of the worst albums i've ever heard in my life.

it was like a trainwreck meeting a catastrophe meeting my old GF angela.

neither one was a good look, sorry to say.

dear jesus, lord who art king of the dumbasses-- that was a miserable crestfallen experience. PLEASE never do that again, you miserable christian degenerate, you.

okay, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    one of the worst albums i've ever heard in my life.

it was like a trainwreck meeting a catastrophe meeting my old GF angela.

neither one was a good look, sorry to say.

dear jesus, lord who art king of the dumbasses-- that was a miserable crestfallen experience. PLEASE never do that again, you miserable christian degenerate, you.

okay, thank you.
    Expected from a pesto eatin hillbilly like you. You wouldn't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Ha! I've always thought the same thing. Both Bronx natives and equal parts crazy.
    The instrumentals are as equally sick as Kool Keith's lyrical masterpieces themselves - especially the Dr. Octagon and Dr. Dooom projects.

Apartment 223 Beat Only - shit is fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]king white hot.

I know Dan the Automator typically receives the most credit working along side Keith, but personally I'm more of a KutMasta Kurt fan. I will agree and acknowledge Dr. Octagon is musically superior to anything in KK's catalog, but Sex Style and Dr. Dooom aren't too far behind.

_____

In the mid 2000's Keith hooked up with two new school producers and dropped two modern classics in Nogatco Rd (Iz-Real ) and Project Polaroid (TOMC3). IMO (and it's commonly accepted) Project Polaroid is the better of the two, lyrically, musically, all the above etc

I can't seem to find a clip on youtube for the album's best track - Space 8000. Oh well, if you can find it, I suggest you listen to it. It's that fire, and just about anything else on Project Polaroid as well. Here's a more laid back but still good song from the album:

Midwestern Shoe Calhoun

Nogatco Rd on the other hand isn't as great a release, but still a classic in its own right (and by classic I mean by today's, more modern standards which isn't what it used to be). This album is a little darker, lyrically a little left field. In all honesty, a pretty decent follow up to the original Octagon project, which is exactly what Nogatco Rd is (it's Dr. Octagon backwards, and yes I realize most of you probably already knew this I'm just pointing this out in case someone wasn't aware).

... and like Project Polaroid I can't seem to locate the album's best track on youtube (being Big Adventure and Live Dissection <----- especially that beast it features Sage Francis) - but here's a couple other bangers off there:

Alpha Omega

Black 37

In more recent years Keith dropped the follow up to Dr. Dooom with Dr. Dooom 2. Nowhere near as good as the original but there's one track in particular that's one of his greatest songs of all time.

God of Rap - the beat in this one is unforgettable; unparalleled - it just doesn't get much better than this. If you listen to the beat closely, it closely resembles the sound of Eminem's Rap God. Em gives Keith a shout out on the commercial hit Monster - perhaps a subliminal message to fans letting them know Rap God's strongly a direct influence from Kool Keith's God of Rap.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Hey ****-tard, for the most part the album was critically acclaimed. Specifically, it got 3.5/4 stars in Rolling Stone, 4/5 on Allmusic, and at least 3 stars in NME and Spin. Furthermore, the tour was also successful; the two shows I went to were sold out and they added a second show in Michigan.

All you've done in this thread is talk about how it's hated without pvis rovidiou-ng any proof that it's hated. Just more of your drug induced bullshit. Maybe that's a hazy time for you, maybe the christian just dumped your sorry ass so you blocked it out, but the album was a success.

Rolling Stone, All Music as a legit source when it comes to rating rap records. Yeah, I'd say you know what you're talking about. If you realistically knew anything about all this you'd know its' way more than commonly accepted that this is one of KK's more "hated" and failed albums to date. Damn dude, Kool Keith himself has referenced in his own music for Christs sake! and talked about it in numerous interviews the highly unsuccessful failure that was the attempt at commercial/mainstream bombshell that was the Black Elvis endeavor.

Just please, do yourself a favor, and get the fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k out of a thread you obviously have zero business in whatsoever. LOL, quoting Rolling Stone like it's the start all / end all authority figure on rating something rap or hip hop oriented.

Bwaha...BWHAHAHAHA! ... you would ... only you, fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]ktard.

   

Quote Originally Posted by Bless Mathews
    Expected from a pesto eatin hillbilly like you. You wouldn't understand.
    would it bother you if 100% of your definition was wrong?

or do you get sloppy seconds for throwing around insults that you don't actually understand...?

i can wait.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    would it bother you if 100% of your definition was wrong?

or do you get sloppy seconds for throwing around insults that you don't actually understand...?

i can wait.

Moreover, Black Elvis hit the Billboard top 100 and was his biggest commercial success. Just another reason why you're a ****ing idiot.
    Black Elvis was such a failure, Thornton was dropped by Columbia/SONY almost immediately after its release. Keith explains how he endlessly attempted to contact executives over the project to get better promotion to no avail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Elvis/Lost_in_Space

Kool Keith was displeased with the lack of promotion for the Black Elvis project, and vented his frustrations about his label on the songs "Release Date" and "Test Press." He also published the e-mail addresses of several Ruffhouse executives, asking his fans to demand better promotion
    Kool Keith on the Matthew album goes into detail about how fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]ked up the Black Elvis shit was altogether; how he says he was forced to release an album that he himself didn't want to release. It didn't have the sound he wanted. The beats he wanted, etc. All this, but according to you it's all smelly roses and sunshine.

The fact of the matter is you personally like the album (I do too) and because you like it there's no debate, it's a great album and any and all other opinions are jack shit - not to mention your calling card here is being a PMS'n jerk who gets off arguing endlessly day and night.

In this particular thread discussing this particular subject matter you're the fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]ktard, and not me. But I suppose since one single Rolling Stones hippy kid reviewer says Black Elvis was a good album and got your back that makes you right.

I mean, we're talking you and Rolling Stone magazine here, in a hip hop culture / rap music discussion, and how your opinions and insight should be taken seriously. Really? I wish someone would roll them stones on your head while you're fast asleep. Get on my nerves with your bullshit and the truly sad shit is you honestly think you're right about all this. Truly pathetic.

LOL

no, has to be more like-

Moreover - debating this with you is pointless. You're just too stubborn to see things in any other light besides your own because you're always right everyone else is always wrong, no? Don't you get tired of all this mess? Always being so pissed, PMS'n out your asshole squirting that shit in all directions on everyone? You probably think you're a good debater on various subjects, but the reality is people just get tired of going back and forth with you b/c you're in all likelihood the most stubborn poster here and it's always fruitless getting into it; whatever "it" may be. Have you ever been wrong? Even once? LOL.

Last edited by Josh; 02-02-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Great album.

Kool Keith is goat since Ultramagnetic.

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    Great album.

Kool Keith is goat since Ultramagnetic.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc5cOohfHhA

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Black Elvis was such a failure, Thornton was dropped by Columbia/SONY almost immediately after its release. Keith explains how he endlessly attempted to contact executives over the project to get better promotion to no avail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Elvis/Lost_in_Space

Kool Keith on the Matthew album goes into detail about how fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]ked up the Black Elvis shit was altogether; how he says he was forced to release an album that he himself didn't want to release. It didn't have the sound he wanted. The beats he wanted, etc. All this, but according to you it's all smelly roses and sunshine.

The fact of the matter is you personally like the album (I do too) and because you like it there's no debate, it's a great album and any and all other opinions are jack shit - not to mention your calling card here is being a PMS'n jerk who gets off arguing endlessly day and night.

In this particular thread discussing this particular subject matter you're the fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]ktard, and not me. But I suppose since one single Rolling Stones hippy kid reviewer says Black Elvis was a good album and got your back that makes you right.

I mean, we're talking you and Rolling Stone magazine here, in a hip hop culture / rap music discussion, and how your opinions and insight should be taken seriously. Really? I wish someone would roll them stones on your head while you're fast asleep. Get on my nerves with your bullshit and the truly sad shit is you honestly think you're right about all this. Truly pathetic.

LOL

no, has to be more like-

Moreover - debating this with you is pointless. You're just too stubborn to see things in any other light besides your own because you're always right everyone else is always wrong, no? Don't you get tired of all this mess? Always being so pissed, PMS'n out your asshole squirting that shit in all directions on everyone? You probably think you're a good debater on various subjects, but the reality is people just get tired of going back and forth with you b/c you're in all likelihood the most stubborn poster here and it's always fruitless getting into it; whatever "it" may be. Have you ever been wrong? Even once? LOL.

Slayed.

Rolling Stone, All Music as a legit source when it comes to rating rap records. Yeah, I'd say you know what you're talking about. If you realistically knew anything about all this you'd know its' way more than commonly accepted that this is one of KK's more "hated" and failed albums to date. Damn dude, Kool Keith himself has referenced in his own music for Christs sake! and talked about it in numerous interviews the highly unsuccessful failure that was the attempt at commercial/mainstream bombshell that was the Black Elvis endeavor.

Just please, do yourself a favor, and get the fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k out of a thread you obviously have zero business in whatsoever. LOL, quoting Rolling Stone like it's the start all / end all authority figure on rating something rap or hip hop oriented.

Bwaha...BWHAHAHAHA! ... you would ... only you, fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]ktard.

It was his biggest commercial success in sales, billboard charts, and tour money.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Kool Keith - Black Elvis - full album

It's not as good as the Dr. Octagon project. Not as good as the (original) Dr. Dooom album. This is still a damn good album though. It's true, you do have to be a fan of eerie, abstract and flat out strange rap music to even begin to appreciate what this album has to offer.

I hadn't listened to Kool Keith's Black Elvis Lost In Space in a good decade or so years up until tonight, and I have to admit, it was refreshing as hell to hear it again. Like most of Keith's albums, the shit never sounds dated. Dope in 1999, dope in 2014. This is a constant trend in most of his works.

According to Keith, this album was supposed to be his "break out" album, being with a major label and all, but it didn't win over fans the same way Dr. Dooom and Dr. Octagon did previously. Dr. Dooom and Black Elvis were released months of one another, but there's no question Dr. Dooom was much more welcomed with open arms than Black Elvis.

I'm not going to say I don't understand why because I do (and it's simply because Dr. Dooom is a MUCH better release), but it's not an undeniable piece of trash either - like many Kool Keith fans and just casual fans in general would lead you to believe.

_____

On a side note: I recall way back in the day; going back to the EARLY EZboard days, 2001-2002 or so, kblaze personally asked me which rap album he should buy next, and I suggested Kool Keith's Black Elvis - Lost In Space, and trusting my uncanny judgment, he went out to BestBuy, ordered off Amazon.com or whatever. Method or purchase doesn't matter.

What does matter, is kblaze just about went ape shit on me after he received and listened to his personal hard copy. Dude was not happy to say the least. I should have explained it might not be for everybody. At that time, it wasn't a "safe" recommendation... like say a DMX, newly hitting the scene 50 Cent or Kanye West, but I wanted blaze to experience some real shit for a change, LOL.

Honestly though mang, I didn't know he'd react that upset. I didn't know he was going out to spend hard earned cash; I thought maybe he'd be illegally downloading off Napster or something. Damn though, dude came back at me hard doe - basically doing and saying everything barely short of tangibly asking me for my address and threatening to beat me within inches of my life to justify the $14.87 he just spent on an actual CD.

Anywayz... just listen to track 5 on this album - Supergalactic Lover. The price for admission of that song along pays for the album 10 fold much less all the other gems found on there.

Looking back blaze, I really should have suggested Dr. Dooom (and no, not Dr. Octagon it's like Black Elvis in a sense it's too far "out there") instead of Black Elvis. I'll still never alter my stance on how I feel about Black Elvis - Lost In Space, and that is this album is dope. It was better than most shit dropped in '99, better than most shit dropped in '09, and when I revisit again in '19, I'm confident it'll still be standing the test of time.

On a side note. Did you also know that he's insane? I wouldn't trust any bullshit he says, in an interview or a song he wrote. He keeps seltzer water and oakridge cake in his fridge so his friends won't eat his stuff. Have you seen the video they did with him at his house. My friend has recorded with him a couple times and had him over to his house; he's bat-shit crazy.

It's not a bad album. It has a bunch of listenable songs on it, but it's no Dr. Octagonecologyst.

On a side note. Did you also know that he's insane? I wouldn't trust any bullshit he says, in an interview or a song he wrote. He keeps seltzer water and oakridge cake in his fridge so his friends won't eat his stuff. Have you seen the video they did with him at his house. My friend has recorded with him a couple times and had him over to his house; he's bat-shit crazy.
    I think I'd trust more of what the man says himself to be true and more on-point that what fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]king Rolling Stones has to say about anything rap music related. Yes, I know the dude's bat-shit crazy. I have the video where he talked about the seltzer water in his 90 year old frig. I know everything about the man. I'm his biggest fan here, and while I personally like the album, many of his fans do not, and it's considered by most to be his most disappointing. That equates to being "hated" on.

If ask or poll most Kool Keith fans, and ask them out of Dr. Octagon, Dr. Dooom, Black Elvis, Matthew and Spankmaster which album was the most disappointing, disliked, "hated" etc. - the majority of them are going to spit out Black Elvis without hesitation. Me, personally, I like Black Elvis more than Spankmaster and Matthew, but the typical KK fan isn't going to agree. I think people fell in love with the Black Elvis persona, could get a feel for all the potential it had, could have been, etc - but felt the final product was a let down.

Keith tries to explain all this one the Matthew album. How SONY/Columbia heard the original material he brought to them and how they told him it wasn't anything like what they wanted, so he had to scrap it, do the whole damn thing over. He said the finished album, the one you hear today, is not what he originally intended it to be. That what you hear on the Blaci Elvis album is what SONY/Columbia wanted, and not what Kool Keith wanted. He said it could have been as great as Octagon and Dooom, even better, but the big wigs at SONY/Columbia wanted to go in a different direction, but I suppose all this isn't the slightest bit relevant because Rolling Stones magazine says so.