National High School Star

Default Ancient Aliens...sneaky good??

I know this post is like 4 years too late...but that show teaches me more about religion/history/science than 99% of television I watch.

Their format:
    1. State some sort of often believed/strongly believed fact or theory
    2. Explain the historical, religious, or scientific background.
    3. Say, some nonsense that they back up with sometimes surprisingly good anecdotal and physical evidence.
    4. Say, "As ancient astronauts theorists believe"

It's a surprisingly good show. I started watching it cuz it was the only thing on when I do dishes. I've learned that dinosaurs may in fact have lived in a different time period (and actually saw this on some Sherlock episode recently too)/longer than we thought. Puts into perspective how long dinosaurs ruled the Earth, and how pathetically not long we have.

We da bess though (our generation). More info has been accumulated in the past 10 years than in the prior 500 (in theory).

Banned

Default Re: Ancient Aliens...sneaky good??

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    I know this post is like 4 years too late...but that show teaches me more about religion/history/science than 99% of television I watch.

Their format:
    3. Say, some nonsense that they back up with sometimes surprisingly good anecdotal and physical evidence.

It's a surprisingly good show. I started watching it cuz it was the only thing on when I do dishes. I've learned that dinosaurs may in fact have lived in a different time period (and actually saw this on some Sherlock episode recently too)/longer than we thought. Puts into perspective how long dinosaurs ruled the Earth, and how pathetically not long we have.

We da bess though (our generation). More info has been accumulated in the past 10 years than in the prior 500 (in theory).
    We still don't know how to make Greek Fire doe.

Their format:

The problem is a lot of the physical and anedoctal evidence is pulled from sources who believe, who want to believe, and who want you to believe. Clearly a lot of it is exaggerated if not made up.

Their format:

so true1

I like the show. As you described it does teach you a lot about history of the relatively unknown.

National High School Star

Wow lol just noticed the already existing thread...CavsFTW also posted on this topic with the reverse opinion.

He who loves Wilt can't stomach the tall tales of Ancient Aliens...ironic.

As ancient astronaut theorists believe, Wilt = Ancient Alien? CavsFTW trying to cover it up?

NBA Superstar

Come down south boy, don't be shy now...

Last edited by russwest0; 02-04-2014 at 05:13 AM.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

as an archaeologist, shows like this are very annoying. They take well-studied phenomena and cast a bunch of doubt on it with very little evidence. Pretty lame, all in all.

Not as bad as shows like diggers, but still, lots of purposeful misinformation/ignorance for the sake of entertainment.

history channel teaching you some history on the down low