Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Made that high school varsity squad Solidape's Avatar

Default Re: Boil in bag rice!

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    yea... BPA and carcinogens from the plastic. you want your man-boobies to grow, don't you?

assuming you like well-prepared rice, it's definitely possible to go wrong... especially if you make different kinds of rice and/or different quantities and/or different seasoning additives.
    I was specifically talking about the dude talking about boiling his rice in a plastic bag lol.

Potato > Rice

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Potato > Rice
    Was about to say that earlier, chose not to post. But 100% agreed.

Rice cookers are a waste of space and money. Just use a pot.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Rice cookers are a waste of space and money. Just use a pot.
    nah.. you got to use rice cooker if you're going to use the various rices...

There really is a big difference....

Quote Originally Posted by gts

Not really. The basic ratio of 1 cup rice, 2 cups water works across the board. Boil, stir, reduce heat, cover, check in 20 min. If it's still soupy give it more time. If you can't make rice you really don't need to be in the kitchen.

   

no no, different kinds of rice (like brown) need more water and thus, more time.

it

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    You can do a lot of different types of rice. We do brown rice a lot because the white rice is pretty much the brown rice with the healthy part chopped off.

You can also but Quinoa in it which tastes good and makes it healthier. But im an old man and you're not so its less important.
    Outside of higher magnesium and fiber levels, brown rice really gets overrated. White rice is cheaper, and essentially identical in nutritional value. I seriously can't find a reason to go back to it, especially considering the far better taste of other rice.

Quote Originally Posted by gts

No, no you don't, and no there isn't. There's nothing you can do in a rice cooker I can't on a stove with a pot. Plus you're cooking rice in a 0.2 mm steel bowl while I'm using a 2.5 mm clad copper pot for superior performance.

I used to have a rice cooker, but it's just one more useless appliance taking up space in my kitchen.

[QUOTE=gigantes]no no, different kinds of rice (like brown) need more water and thus, more time.

it

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    There are few if any differences. You can do roughly 2:1 with pretty much anything and it will work fine.
    Rice cooker is great for cooking large amounts. I don't have one, but my girlfriend is half Filo, so I've become accustomed to eating rice with just about every meal.

I guess its just a convenience thing, and depends on how often you want to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    no no, different kinds of rice (like brown) need more water and thus, more time.

it’s not hard to burn it, make it mushy, or have it be a PITA you need to keep checking. how nice is it to be able to max out your burners, concentrate on other stuff, and let the rice cooker take care of its job?

ah, the great ISH rice wars... this is going to end with a pile of dead bodies, that’s for sure.

Yeah, I don't have anything against rice cookers. If it were a big staple of my diet I might consider buying one. Otherwise if rice is part of the meal I'm making it's the ingredient I usually worry the least about how to prepare.

As to the OP, that boil-in-bag shit is God awful.

rice cookers are really for people that eat white rice with everything. its easy cooking rice with a pot. try basmati rice its delicious and cooks fast and easy, 10-15 minutes.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Rice cooker is great for cooking large amounts. I don't have one, but my girlfriend is half Filo, so I've become accustomed to eating rice with just about every meal.

I guess its just a convenience thing, and depends on how often you want to make it.
    It's not just a convenience thing but that's a biggie if you eat a ton of rice.

My wife being Chinese we eat a lot of rice at home. She probably has 5 different rices depending on the meal. You don't cook japanese saki rice (the kind she serves with fish) the same way you cook thai jasmine short grain (goes good with braised pork), some take very small amounts of water and you want to steam them not boil them, others take more water.

I like it because you don't do sh*t..lol put the rice in add water close lid and come back when you want to eat it.. no stirring no nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Basmati = GOAT

Never had basmati with goat. I'll have to try it. [COLOR="White"]I know, that was Bagelred bad[/COLOR]