Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default This kid hit me and damaged my bumper and is trying to dodge the bill; advice wanted

So this kid rear-ended me a few days ago at a red light, and it was 100% his fault and he knew it and admitted it.

There wasn't much damage, so I told him I'd do him a favor and not report the accident and that he could just pay for the price of my auto-shop bill to fix the car.

So I went to the auto-shop for a quote and it was $200. I then texted this kid with the price and told him to meet me at a McDonald's or something to give me the money.

Now he is dodging my texts and calls.

What should I do at this point?

(Evidence that I have: I have pictures of the slight damage, and I have texts sent from this guy where he told me he would pay for the damage and he also implicitly admits that the accident was all his fault in these texts)

Info that I have: I have his license plate number and pictures of his car.

TLDR: This kid hit my car and told me he'd pay to fix it. Now he is dodging my calls.

Edit: The auto-shop now told me it will cost $400 to repair.
    Last edited by tmacattack33; 02-05-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Default Re: This kid hit me and damaged my bumper and is trying to dodge the bill; advice wanted

You ALWAYS get the information. If you honestly feel like being a Good Samaritan and doing him a favor, a prudent route is "I won't report it and you can just pay face value for the damage and keep it off your insurance record, but if you f*ck around on me I've got your information and you'll be double screwed."

Pictures of the damage just sitting on your phone prove nothing outside of damage being done to your car. And soliciting the texts from your cell provider is now YOUR expense.

Default Re: This kid hit me and damaged my bumper and is trying to dodge the bill; advice wanted

Hire an assassin, get that kid assassinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    You ALWAYS get the information.

"I won't report it and you can just pay face value for the damage and keep it off your insurance record, but if you f*ck around on me I've got your information and you'll be double screwed."
    Oh snap, I forgot to mention that I have his license plate number and pictures of his car.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Oh snap, I forgot to mention that I have his license plate number and pictures of his car.
    Then report it, he doesn't want to pay after you've done him a favor? **** him

shhhhhhh

Turn it over to your insurance company.. give them the kids name, phone and plate number

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

thats why you always call the cops so they can document the accident.

Just because the cops submit an accident report doesn't mean that they will cite anybody for a traffic violation.

The report lists the drivers insurance companies. If the kid doesn't pay you can
    make on claim on his insurance and submit the accident report to them.

but since you did not report the accident your options are limited. You can always text the kid you are calling the cops if you don't pay up, but he may know that's a completely empty threat. Cops can't do sh*t in this situation.

Report it. Lie, say you weren't aware you didn't have to but you found out and called. Don't say you were trying to cut a deal. The text kid that you reported it.

Note; make sure first the damage is above your deductible.

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    Turn it over to your insurance company.. give them the kids name, phone and plate number

DO NOT get your own insurance company involved.

If you have his license plate number you should be able to look up the address of the owner who registered the plate.

Get in contact with the kids parents; mail a letter certified or non, it doesn't matter.

Just by reporting the accident to your insurance company, whether its your fault or not, could absolutely factor in to a premium increase on your next insurance cycle. It doesn't matter who is a fault, it doesn't matter that your insurance paid out or not, the less contact you have with your car insurance company the better.

So I've searched the internetz and found out that a license plate number is indeed sufficient info to have in my case (in that the police or an insurance company can trace it and get all the info i want on the driver).

But yeah, as said above, I don't want to get my insurance company involved into this. Apparently, even if it's 0% my fault, my insurance rates can go up.

Can I just call the police to find out HIS insurance info and then call them? Or if I do this, will they contact my insurance company?

So I've searched the internetz and found out that a license plate number is indeed sufficient info to have in my case (in that the police or an insurance company can trace it and get all the info i want on the driver).

But yeah, as said above, I don't want to get my insurance company involved into this. Apparently, even if it's 0% my fault, my insurance rates can go up.

Can I just call the police to find out HIS insurance info and then call them? Or if I do this, will they contact my insurance company?

Bolded is absolutely true. Not only because of the accident "claim" but also because anytime you contact your insurance regarding an issue there is a good probability they will peek at your driving history which they don't typically do in the middle of your policy unless they have reason to.

Here's the issue. The damages in this case are so negligible that this kid or his parents aren't going to make a claim anyways. I'm virtually positive the police probably won't have his insurance information.

You can get his address see if you can find a land line number attached to it. Call it up. Start talking to whichever parent picks up the phone. Tell them your kid hit you and you have estimates for the damage, etc. Be reasonable and don't sound like a crazy person. You will have to balance a delicate social tightrope if you wanna successfully get that 200 back.

200 bucks is a sh*tty figure. It's in the realm of not being worth it to pursue in court but its enough where you could really use that cash. Like i said before, this is a prime example of why people always should document accidents. If this kid and his family put up a fight, you will never see that money again. That's why you got to be careful and try not to come of as a maniac when you are trying to collect.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    DO NOT get your own insurance company involved.

If you have his license plate number you should be able to look up the address of the owner who registered the plate.

Get in contact with the kids parents; mail a letter certified or non, it doesn't matter.
    Good idea. Would the police give me that info though? They probably would just think i want it so i could go jump the kid

Good idea. Would the police give me that info though? They probably would just think i want it so i could go jump the kid
    i don't know if they will or not. Contact your state's DMV headquarters or check out their webpage online their might even be an online lookup.

Dude, it's 200 dollars, and you'll be lucky to save 100 of that after your deductible.