Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: This kid hit me and damaged my bumper and is trying to dodge the bill; advice wanted

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    So wait you didn't call the cops? How dumb is that. ALWAYS call the cops. This way he can't REFUTE anything you say in court. Also, never handle sh*t out of good faith; should of called a lawyer or your insurance company. Who the f*ck do you think you are now .. Tom Cruise in a few good men? Leave it to the pros homeboy; you got f*cked over and now you're gonna learn your lesson.

Hell, even if you can't afford a lawyer, have car insurance, you can still make a small claim report in court and have a judge decide. There should be absolutely no excuse for you to handle this on your own. What a dumb move.
    I don't know anyone whos called the cops for an accident, maybe it's different here but all we do is take each others insurance details.

Default Re: This kid hit me and damaged my bumper and is trying to dodge the bill; advice wanted

Quote Originally Posted by RightToCensor
    Trace his phone then rob his house and rape his sister
    Reported. Rape is no joke

sometimes you just gotta take justice into your own hands

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    There wasn't much damage, so I told him I'd do him a favor and not report the accident and that he could just pay for the price of my auto-shop bill to fix the car.
    Why would you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    So this kid rear-ended me a few days ago at a red light, and it was 100% his fault and he knew it and admitted it.

There wasn't much damage, so I told him I'd do him a favor and not report the accident and that he could just pay for the price of my auto-shop bill to fix the car.

So I went to the auto-shop for a quote and it was $200. I then texted this kid with the price and told him to meet me at a McDonald's or something to give me the money.

Now he is dodging my texts and calls.

What should I do at this point?

(Evidence that I have: I have pictures of the slight damage, and I have texts sent from this guy where he told me he would pay for the damage and he also implicitly admits that the accident was all his fault in these texts)

Info that I have: I have his license plate number and pictures of his car.

TLDR: This kid hit my car and told me he'd pay to fix it. Now he is dodging my calls.

Edit: The auto-shop now told me it will cost $400 to repair.
    If he doesn't answer report him to the police and be done with it. You try to be a good guy but if they can't be honorable they can just suck it.

It is a good thing you tried to be a good guy, you don't see that nowadays. It is a good thing you took a pic of his licence plate.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Why would you do that?
    Some people are just good guys bro.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    I don't know anyone whos called the cops for an accident, maybe it's different here but all we do is take each others insurance details.
    That's just stupid. Word of mouth don't mean anything in court. If you call the cops, he's going to do the proper investigation (which is needed to have a strong case based on his expertise) and bringing the law into the picture, you now have a backing that can make the guy pay or face the judge.

Without the cops, all he has to do is ignore your calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    If he doesn't answer report him to the police and be done with it. You try to be a good guy but if they can't be honorable they can just suck it.

It is a good thing you tried to be a good guy, you don't see that nowadays. It is a good thing you took a pic of his licence plate.
    I don't see anyone reason why you should take a strangers word at face value: you don't know the person, so how can you know how shady he can be? You don't, so you have to take extra precautions in situations like these.

Let's call it for what it was: he was just being naive.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I'm thinking that you can just threaten to report based on the info you have, including the text that indicates he was going to pay. He may pay still to avoid it being reported.

I don't see anyone reason why you should take a strangers word at face value: you don't know the person, so how can you know how shady he can be? You don't, so you have to take extra precautions in situations like these.

Let's call it for what it was: he was just being naive.
    He took a pic of the car license so he wasn't naive. If he didn't then yes I would say he was pretty stupid.

I am just the kind of person that tends to see the best in people, sue me.

He took a pic of the car license so he wasn't naive. If he didn't then yes I would say he was pretty stupid.

Ok so what? He took a photo of the license plate, whoopti f*ckin doo; it is still his word against the guy; a proper police investigation would of been clear cut in court.

Now if he wants to take the guy to court, he's got a ton of headache to deal with; calling the cops to get an official documentation would of made things so much easier only because if the guy does not pay up, the judge will force him to.

So naive.

You can't just give anybody the benefit of the doubt; serial killers are generally nice in person. It is best to expect people to prove they are nice rather than to go by first impressions. It is just a shallow, naive way of thinking.

Earned not given

Should have still exchanged information to avoid this BS. As soon as you let dude walk away without that you forgave his liability.

Ok so what? He took a photo of the license plate, whoopti f*ckin doo; it is still his word against the guy; a proper police investigation would of been clear cut in court.

Now if he wants to take the guy to court, he's got a ton of headache to deal with; calling the cops to get an official documentation would of made things so much easier only because if the guy does not pay up, the judge will force him to.
    Well he has the text messages as proof. They can know who hit who depending on the damage done on the car and the place where the car hit each other (like the point of impact, it is not that hard to tell by just looking). Also the guy doing the first move has an advantage of being the first person to tattle on the other person so by default the judge knows who's probably at fault (like first impressions).

He can get his money, it is just going to last a little longer because of said douche that decided to get smart.

[/b]

So naive.

You can't just give anybody the benefit of the doubt; serial killers are generally nice in person. It is best to expect people to prove they are nice rather than to go by first impressions. It is just a shallow, naive way of thinking.
    Well sorry but that's just the way I am. I tend to see the best in people because I can't just pretend the world is full of douches.