Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Serious playground baller

Default How good was Mark Price

And how well would he fare in today's NBA?

I loved his game back in the late 80's.

He was one of the best shooters in history, granted, but he was an underrated passer and man leader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sua9u318wGo

On this clip, he seems a tad quicker than everyone of the floor, splitting the pick and roll, penetrating and dishing at will. Not to mention the shooting.

Make him undergo advanced strength and conditioning programs of the 2000s and put him in a team where he doesn't have to feed Daugherty, Nance and Harper and I can easily see him be a perennial 20/8 player at least.

In the right team, I don't see who could contain him today when they weren't able to guard him in the handchecking era.

He was basically a quicker, less flashy Steve Nash. His explosiveness and dribbling quickness I think was severely underrated. Watch how he gets by defenders as if they didn't existed. Perhaps could be compared to a smaller Curry without the length and the fancy dribbling.

With a shoot-first mindset, he would kill it today...

Anybody remembers this guy? Of course, you need to be +40 to have really enjoyed his game...

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Default Re: How good was Mark Price

Great shooter

Poor mans Steve Nash

Banned

Would be the 4th best Pg today after Paul Curry and Lin and 5th best if Westbrook was healthy

If you saw what the rule changes circa 2004 did for Nash's game, I believe it would have a similar effect on Price. He was deceptively quick, great shooter, high IQ and instincts....he'd be easily one of the top PGs today.

Very similar to Nash (before Nash), extremely close to him as an overall shooter and with a quicker release, not as good of a passer also but a great passer nonetheless, bit shorter but clearly more athletic, better finisher, and could actually play defense. At his best, right now, would be at least a top3 PG.

Quote Originally Posted by fandarko

Make him undergo advanced strength and conditioning programs of the 2000s
    Unsubstantial, no need for that.

Local High School Star

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    Poor mans Steve Nash

Nash blossomed after the rule change....Price would easily be just as effective as Nash in this era. Freedom without being steered by handchecking is the main reason this is a era of point guard

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    Poor mans Steve Nash
    Rich man's more like.

Nash may have been the slightly better passer, but Price was no slouch at it, while being arguably just as good (or damn near) of a shooter, much scrappier, and a better defender.

Not to take anything away from Nash, but Price was Nash before Nash.

We've had a few identical threads btw. If you do a google search for "Mark Price insidehoops" you will find them, and possibly see more opinions.

Or just watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sua9u318wGo
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 02-16-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    Rich man's more like.

Nash may have been the slightly better passer, but Price was no slouch at it, while being arguably just as good (or damn near) of a shooter, much scrappier, and a better defender.

Not to take anything away from Nash, but Price was Nash before Nash.

We've had a few identical threads btw. If you do a google search for "Mark Price insidehoops" you will find them, and possibly see more opinions.

Or just watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sua9u318wGo
    There is no way one of these guys is "rich mans" compared to the other and one guy playing his career before the other doesn't make it so.

You say "not to take anything away from Nash", but you do by saying one guy is the rich mans version of the other.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calabis

Nash blossomed after the rule change....Price would easily be just as effective as Nash in this era. Freedom without being steered by handchecking is the main reason this is a era of point guard
    Basically

Take away the hanchecking, the big men camping out in the lane, the overall physical play and this dude is top 3 PG with ease.

One thing we must remember when comparing him with Nash....

This lil f*ck was tough as hell. He'd get in your face and would't back down, he'd go back at you just as hard. Dude was a combination of Nash and CP3.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Basically

Take away the hanchecking, the big men camping out in the lane, the overall physical play and this dude is top 3 PG with ease.

One thing we must remember when comparing him with Nash....

This lil f*ck was tough as hell. He'd get in your face and would't back down, he'd go back at you just as hard. Dude was a combination of Nash and CP3.
    You think big defensive bigs "camped out in the lane" more back then than now?

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    There is no way one of these guys is "rich mans" compared to the other and one guy playing his career before the other doesn't make it so.

You say "not to take anything away from Nash", but you do by saying one guy is the rich mans version of the other.
    You are right. My bad.

I saw him calling Price a poor man's Nash and over-reacted.

The rules today really help small, quick guards. Back then small guards used to get beat up which is a big reason why they didn't have much longevity (Price, Isiah, KJ, etc).

My guess is that Price would be a top 3 pg today.

I've never liked the comparison to Steve Nash. Really the similarities start and end at the are both short, white, can shoot, and play pg.
    First off Nash is far more creative, better vision, and a much more effictive scorer. He's far superior athletically and a much more efficient penatrator.

Price was more gritty and heady. Although a great ft shooter I didn't think he was as deadly a 3 point shooter. He's good, but I didn' t find him a threat. Nash is more a threat from 3.
    I find Price more like a more efficient Jameer Nelson.