Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Besides a house, a car and sufficient food and clothing...do we need more money?

Logically speaking, a roof over our heads, sufficient food and clothing and for a bonus, a car ( I would say it is a necessity in modern times, but it can be a luxury if you don't mind public transport and the inconveniences) is all we need.

I am not talking about huge mansions, penthouses and nice condos or branded cars but just a basic nice house and car is all we need. Most families have all these, anything else is just extravagance.

Realistically speaking, is there any difference from living in a normal house compared to a mansion? (Of course, it will look nice and all in the start like a new toy but you will grow weary of it) Aesthetically, a new house or car looks much nicer, but they are just looks the basic function is the same.

The chase of wealth is a chase of snobbism, most of us have everything we need. We just want something that looks nicer than others...

raep tiem

Default Re: Besides a house, a car and sufficient food and clothing...do we need more money?

lol

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Default Re: Besides a house, a car and sufficient food and clothing...do we need more money?

You can be poor and I will be rich

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    You can be poor and I will be rich
    more you post...richer you get

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3
    Logically speaking, a roof over our heads, sufficient food and clothing and for a bonus, a car ( I would say it is a necessity in modern times, but it can be a luxury if you don't mind public transport and the inconveniences) is all we need.

I am not talking about huge mansions, penthouses and nice condos or branded cars but just a basic nice house and car is all we need. Most families have all these, anything else is just extravagance.

Realistically speaking, is there any difference from living in a normal house compared to a mansion? (Of course, it will look nice and all in the start like a new toy but you will grow weary of it) Aesthetically, a new house or car looks much nicer, but they are just looks the basic function is the same.

The chase of wealth is a chase of snobbism, most of us have everything we need. We just want something that looks nicer than others...
    I guess you never heard about Maslow?

No its not, competition breeds progression. Lots of people that chase wealth contribute to progress in an industry or human society as a whole. Elon Musk for example, all he wants money for is to create his tech companies like paypal, tesla, and space x. if he didnt have the funds to create those companies, then how could we have continued toward an electric car revolution, or sending man to mars? he could have retired already and did nothing with his paypal money, but he spent most of his earnings from paypal to create those companies.

If competition and the need to get the most money as we can didnt exist in humans, wed probably still be living in huts and using bow and arrows for hunting, because their would be no desire to make things better, only to be content.
    Last edited by nathanjizzle; 02-26-2014 at 09:45 AM.

you have the choice not to chase those things sir.

Kind of agree.

However they dont just "look nicer", can do more things&more efficiently... whatever it is you are buying. Makes everything easier. And living in a mansion over a simple house/home, is a lot better too.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by East_Stone_Ya
    more you post...richer you get
    I make really good money

Local High School Star Bush4Ever's Avatar

Realistically speaking, is there any difference from living in a normal house compared to a mansion?
    Yes.

You can tell that by people who live in mansions staying in mansions instead of moving back to regular homes, and using the difference in money to satisfy their other wants and preferences.

It is ridiculously arrogant to presume to know other people's preferences, what they should be doing with their money, and these sort of things.

The statement "the chase of wealth is a chase of snobbism, most of us have everything we need. We just want something that looks nicer than others" is not even worth a comment.

5-time NBA All-Star

I don't need a house or a car.

But I need a laptop and some pocket change for a Snickers.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

lol you dont like traveling, partying and etc?

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

if you got a house and a car you are doing better than 95% of the world.

NBA Legend

The main reason you have to keep up economically with the society around you is that if you dont, you will not get wimmenz.

Otherwise nobody would do it.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Being brainwashed by society and culture into thinking 'lavish = good' isn't a good thing.

You don't need to pay 1000 dollars for some fancy meal when you can make an equivalent dish yourself for 100.

You don't need a mansion, you just need enough space to live.

You don't need a Lambo, you can be fine with a Toyota.

Your life isn't better with those crazy things, outside of the fact you can brag about them and 'feel accomplished'.

Like the other poster said, "If you have a house and a car you're doing better than 95% of the world." We don't need everything we have. Greed and excess are bad things. I could get rid of 95% of my possessions and not be any worse off.

i know some people that have so much f*cking money and live in very modest homes and drive very modest cars. Conversely i know people who do decently but live in the nicer homes in the more expensive neighborhoods and drive the flashy cars.. Guess which people are happier?

It's all an image thing. Some people like to show off.

i got a client that owns around 20 million worth of properties and he drives around in a early 2000's camry and lives in a 400k house. I respect that.