Local High School Star MightyWhitey's Avatar

Default Investing Thread

Let's talk money. I like to make money. I like to save money. I like to build wealth. I like to save for retirement.

Investing is important for wealth building. Depending on the type of investor you want to be you can build wealth. I prefer the investment styles of Warren Buffett, Peter Lynch, and John Bogle.

Buffett's style of investing here - http://www.investopedia.com/articles/01/071801.asp

Lynch's style of investing here -
    http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/peterlynch.asp

Bogle's style of investing here -
    http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogle...ent_philosophy

I use TD Ameritrade for both my individual stocks and my Roth IRA. I also invest with this easy to invest company that deals with ETF's https://www.betterment.com/sophistication/

Banned

Default Re: Investing Thread

Some of my favorite individual stocks (of which I invest or will invest in) are the following:

Visa Inc.
    General Electric
    Intel
    MasterCard
    Gilead Pharma
    Pfizer
    3M
    Proctor & Gamble
    Schlumberger
    Johnson & Johnson
    Nike
    Under Armour
    Amex
    Starbucks
    McDonalds
    Verizon

Banned

I rather play FOREX.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    I rather play FOREX.
    It seems to difficult for me to grasp for some reason. I tried getting into it. I like the idea of investing at all hours of the day and night but what are your capital gains taxes like trading so frequently?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MightyWhitey
    It seems to difficult for me to grasp for some reason. I tried getting into it. I like the idea of investing at all hours of the day and night but what are your capital gains taxes like trading so frequently?
    It's pretty big unless you hold on to certain trades for long periods of time. I will find out since, I use to be on a message board loaded with FOREX traders.

You trade the Sydney, Tokyo, London and New York market all in that order. I like Tokyo and London markets because they usually dictate what will happen in the NY market.

It is huge risk but you get to trade with leverage. I would try to open an off shore account to get the bigger leverage because the USA, not too long ago, lowered their leverage. There are some off sea firms that will sign up American citizens but you have to look into that. There are tons of them.

I like to say it is more gambling than investing. I consider FOREX trading as investing if you hold a trade longer than a month. Otherwise, it is gambling.

I signed up and played with fake money and would make 3k a week consistently. That is play money though. When it comes to real money I don't think I can stomach seeing my money fluctuate like the way it does.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    It's pretty big unless you hold on to certain trades for long periods of time. I will find out since, I use to be on a message board loaded with FOREX traders.

You trade the Sydney, Tokyo, London and New York market all in that order. I like Tokyo and London markets because they usually dictate what will happen in the NY market.

It is huge risk but you get to trade with leverage. I would try to open an off shore account to get the bigger leverage because the USA, not too long ago, lowered their leverage. There are some off sea firms that will sign up American citizens but you have to look into that. There are tons of them.

I like to say it is more gambling than investing. I consider FOREX trading as investing if you hold a trade longer than a month. Otherwise, it is gambling.

I signed up and played with fake money and would make 3k a week consistently. That is play money though. When it comes to real money I don't think I can stomach seeing my money fluctuate like the way it does.
    Yeah I read its the biggest and most expensive market trading some sick number like $400 billion a day.
    What online investment firm will you be using?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MightyWhitey
    Yeah I read its the biggest and most expensive market trading some sick number like $400 billion a day.
    What online investment firm will you be using?
    I used FXCM and you download their platform and start trading on a play account. I recommend you do this first because if you don't know what you are doing. You will instantaneously lose your hard earned money. It is unsettling to newbies for the first time to see your trade drop in "pips" or points but it is the name of the game.

Money or exchange rates fluctuate in a range. I believe it will never fluctuate outside that range because you will be either making big bucks or losing big bucks. While rates go up and down between the range it is where you will invest your money. It goes up? Sell. Then buy some more on it going down. If it goes down? Sell and buy that it is going back up. If you are banking the US dollar to go down then sell when it drops. You just profited it on whatever currency you chose to buy in two trades. Never let your money get out of these ranges.

When it gets out of its range for a week. Then it is probably going to be that way for months. People investing in this usually hold it longer. Its hard to explain without charts and graphs because that is what you will be staring at.

The key to FOREX trading and I am no expert but just witnessing how things work in the market, it is best to keep updated on ALL current events. Little things that happen in this world, somehow affects the market either negatively or positively.

http://www.fxcm.com/?engine=adm+val&...0000000N8JzAAK

Banned

Here is graph of Yen/US Dollar....you can see the exchange. It floates....then it immediately shoots up. That is a lot of pips.

Here is a yearly graph...where you can see the years' range. You use this to hold on to longer trades. This dictates the exchange rate.
    Last edited by 9erempiree; 03-01-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Forex is tough to stomach for casual investors because margins are normally so thin.