Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's the biggest accomplishment ever by an athlete in a single event?

(Idea from a twitter question in the Magic's game).

For you what was the best or most outstanding feat that was ever done in the sports history? Remember, single event.

It's not something like all the medals collected by Phelps in the Olympics or some season record by a player.

Lad

Default Re: What's the biggest accomplishment ever by an athlete in a single event?

Geoff Hurst, 1966 World Cup Final.

Default Re: What's the biggest accomplishment ever by an athlete in a single event?

Whoever holds the WR for fastest iron man.

NBA lottery pick

Kobe 81

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    Kobe 81
    Was going to post this literally word for word. Ha

Hicham El Guerrouj 3:43.13 for 1 mile (or 3:26.00 for 1500m, which is actually better) is the most impressive athletic accomplishment. Usain Bolt's 19.19 200m dash is very close... but El Guerrouj's mile/1500 is just absolutely disgusting.

****ing nasty.

Banned

Wilt Chamberlain tossing a mountain lion (regardless of era) whilst being a basketball player on a marathon across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Hicham El Guerrouj 3:43.13 for 1 mile (or 3:26.00 for 1500m, which is actually better) is the most impressive athletic accomplishment. Usain Bolt's 19.19 200m dash is very close... but El Guerrouj's mile/1500 is just absolutely disgusting.

****ing nasty.
    That's funny, i guess one of my most vivid memories in track and field is El Guerrouj, he always beat one of the few portuguese trying to win a medal in the 1500m. Nice one man

Quote Originally Posted by RagaZ
    Geoff Hurst, 1966 World Cup Final.
    Enlight me sir, i know football but not the real history. My english data only knows people like Bobby Charlton, talking about history

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    Kobe 81
    Against a team that had the 2nd worst defensive rating and didn't even make the playoffs. Playing for a team that had absolutely no other decent scorer - only two other players barely made it into double figures. It was essentially a perfect storm for a player like that to just shoot to their hearts content.

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    That's funny, i guess one of my most vivid memories in track and field is El Guerrouj, he always beat one of the few portuguese trying to win a medal in the 1500m. Nice one man

I used to be really big into Track & Field and the guy is just amazing. I've always loved this pic after he won gold in the 1500m and 5000m (according to Wiki, only happened once before in 1924 until he did it, and never since)

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus

I used to be really big into Track & Field and the guy is just amazing. I've always loved this pic after he won gold in the 1500m and 5000m (according to Wiki, only happened once before in 1924 until he did it, and never since)

I'm in the same position as you, it's a sport that i try to follow but it's kinda hard because of the disparity of events.
    He was always a class act and a terrific athlete, his finishing sprints were a must.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    If it's so easy, how come no else has come close? Robinson is the closest and he's a C. Name all the guards touching this.
    It's an amazing accomplishment, but i still not think it's worthy to be mentioned at one of the most remarkable accomplishments. If you say in the history of basketball? Now that's different, but in the history of all sports? Not that much.

NBA Legend

Kobes 6-24 in a finals game 7 is actually even more impressive tbh, because thats really hard to do assuming youre actually trying to play well.

Probably when Al Bundy scored 4 TDs in a single game for Polk High