Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default What are the most influential shows in history?

I know people are infatuated with all these great shows on cable but which shows are the most influential in history?

I think shows like Star Trek is huge but I don't see why it was influential?

How about Seinfeld?

shhhhhhh

Default Re: What are the most influential shows in history?

Mash

Perry Mason was like the show that wouldn't quit... that show has so many reincarnations

The Tonight Show obviously

SNL

Roseanne

The Three Stooges when their shorts went to television in the 60s.
    Mash
    The Simpsons
    Married...With Children
    The Cosby Show
    The Wire

The Sopranos pretty much started the whole anti-hero trend on TV. Gotta go with it at #1

The Sopranos.

"To get a sense of how The Sopranos changed TV, get a pen and make a list of the 20 best TV dramas before 1999. That list will very likely include Magnum, P.I. This mafia saga showed just how complex and involving TV storytelling could be, inspiring an explosion of ambitious dramas on cable and off. In Tony Soprano’s world, it wasn’t the Mob that kept pulling you back in to old, destructive patterns, it was your family: your controlling mother, your maddening wife, your feckless kids. Meanwhile, the big-F Family drama of the declining Mafia business offered popcorn entertainment alongside the deeper insights. Some fans may have hated the series’ abrupt ending, but the fact that the show’s last moments obsessed us demonstrates that America never stopped believin’ in the power of this story."

Love Live Life

Roots
    Good Times
    What's Happening
    The Jeffersons
    The Cosbys
    Brady Bunch
    Giligan's Island
    MASH
    I Dream of Jeannie

I Love Lucy. First show to be shot on film instead of broadcast live, and I believe the first one to show that an assload of cash can be made on syndication. It's only because of I Love Lucy that people in the business started caring about their shows and making any kind of effort to preserve them.

I don't find the show funny at all, but it's probably the most influential show in TV history just because of how deeply it changed the medium at a core level.

Also, Cops proved that you can spend little on production but still get huge ratings. All modern reality TV probably extends from the model introduced by Cops.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    I know people are infatuated with all these great shows on cable but which shows are the most influential in history?

I think shows like Star Trek is huge but I don't see why it was influential?

How about Seinfeld?
    It was influential to the sci-fi genre, it is just that the genre itself is not so broad or well received.

Seinfeld was definitely influential. So was the UK Office and Curb. Both were hugely popular and changed the style of a lot of comedy shows that came after them. They dropped the laughter track and took to using more subtle and cringe worthy/dark humor, this gave them an element of realism that shows before them lacked. They had influences themselves like the Larry Sanders Show and Spinal Tap but they both kicked off the 21st century style.

Oz may not have been hugely influential in terms of style but it definitely tested the waters for the more gritty and morally questionable shows that came after it. Without it would we still have the Sopranos?
    Last edited by miller-time; 03-03-2014 at 10:07 PM.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Seinfeld
    Simpsons

There's no way The Sopranos can be outside the top 10 to be honest.

I know it's probably easier to see how the earlier shows influenced the medium, but Breathless (1960) was more influential to cinema than City Lights was.

In terms of shifting TV, The Sopranos had one of the biggest influences of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Yup.

Top 13 is probably:

Honeymooners
    I Love Lucy
    Guiding Light
    MASH
    All In The Family
    Seinfeld
    Simpsons
    Law and Order
    Cops
    UK Office
    The Ed Sullivan Show
    SNL
    + some one hour drama, probably Sopranos.
    Great list. You can also argue that Ren & Stimpy ushered in a return to creator-driven animation on TV, after an absolute dark age of shit in the 80s where you had crap like He-Man and The Care Bears stinking up the tube.

Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy have to be somewhere on the list as well. I think I heard that these two shows are probably the biggest money makers in TV history because they consistently bring in high ratings and have been on the air for decades.

As for dramas, pretty much every TV anti-hero in recent memory can be traced directly back to the Sopranos.

Walker, Texas Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    It was influential to the sci-fi genre, it is just that the genre itself is not so broad or well received.

Seinfeld was definitely influential. So was the UK Office and Curb. Both were hugely popular and changed the style of a lot of comedy shows that came after them. They dropped the laughter track and took to using more subtle and cringe worthy/dark humor, this gave them an element of realism that shows before them lacked. They had influences themselves like the Larry Sanders Show and Spinal Tap but they both kicked off the 21st century style.

Oz may not have been hugely influential in terms of style but it definitely tested the waters for the more gritty and morally questionable shows that came after it. Without it would we still have the Sopranos?
    Damn, forgot about Oz. Oz definitely paved the way for the Sopranos, but gets forgotten because the Sopranos is one of the greatest dramas in TV history.

Decent playground baller Wang Zhi Zhi's Avatar

miami vice