Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Go Spurs Go

Default Re: Intelligence: Nature or Nurture

51% NURTURE
    49% NATURE

nurture> all . you can come from any background, but if you get raised and cared for the right way, you can succeed. FACT.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by dr.hee
    It's a combination of both nature and nurture obviously.

Are we done?
    This,

If you think this message board has dumbed you down go and read a book instead of spending most your time on this site.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
    nurture> all . you can come from any background, but if you get raised and cared for the right way, you can succeed. FACT.
    But it is our nature to be predisposed to both teach and learn

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by step_back
    This,

If you think this message board has dumbed you down go and read a book instead of spending most your time on this site.
    I'm too dumb for read book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
    51% NURTURE
    49% NATURE

Success does not equal intelligence. Most people who 'succeed' are utter morons. FACT.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Success does not equal intelligence. Most people who 'succeed' are utter morons. FACT.
    THis post makes me think you are bitter that you have failed

But intelligence isnt the major factor related to success imo. I think social skills are more important than anything. Second is persistence.

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    The argument is that it is both. It isn't one or the other.
    I would argue that it's more nurture and environmental input than biology. Other than cases of severe cognitive deficiencies due to mutations in dendrite/synapse formation and the myriad of proteins associated with them, the biological mechanisms of learning/memorization are the same in all people. The instilling of personality traits and interest of learning at a young age where synaptic plasticity is highest is most likely the potentiator of high intelligence.
    Last edited by shlver; 03-05-2014 at 02:02 PM.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

success =/= intelligence, that is true

but I do not think it is a "fact" that the majority of successful people are "utter morons"

Where did you come up with this "fact" exactly? Did you determine this factoid watching an episode of Kim Kardashian's reality show or something?..."ah look at this dumb celeb, that's it most people that figured out a way to win at life are MORONS!!!"

lol how are you going to arguing with people constantly about the definition of words on here and then misuse fact vs. opinion?

Damn yung...Dresta is a bitter, cynical, nihilist muh fcka. Whose more negative and condescending than this dude on ISH? Mayb DeuceWallaces, that's about it

This man walks by flowers and they shrivel and turn to ash...dogs yelp and whine with anxiety... infants feel their first twinge of hopelessness.

I hope dude is straight

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    Damn yung...Dresta is a bitter, cynical, nihilist muh fcka. Whose more negative and condescending than this dude on ISH? Mayb DeuceWallaces, that's about it

This man walks by flowers and they shrivel and turn to ash...dogs yelp and whine with anxiety... infants feel their first twinge of hopelessness.

I hope dude is straight
    Dude is comedy. I enjoy watching him get into it with other posters.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    THis post makes me think you are bitter that you have failed

But intelligence isnt the major factor related to success imo. I think social skills are more important than anything. Second is persistence.
    Ex. Snooki

She succedded but no way shes smart. Shes a vet tech btw.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Dude is comedy. I enjoy watching him get into it with other posters.
    Same. He's a bright guy for sure, dude is full of thoughts and convictions on pretty much any subject. Somewhat of an abstract thinker, I respect that. His and pt exchanges were gold.

jus sayin, that dude is not only a hardcore intellectual elitist but also extremely full of pessimism. Dare I say he's almost fatalistic in many of his philosophies

Still, he's def no ordinary pawn. I like ppl that don't buy all society's sales techniques hook, line and sinker but sometimes it's like

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Spot on. Persistence is very important because no matter how brilliant you are, you are still likely to be met with repeated failures throughout your life.

Social skills, schmoozing and 'playing the game' are really the most important things if you want to get ahead, to gain social esteem, and excel in your chosen field.

It is why so many great intellects are overlooked during their lives, and only gain recognition towards the end, or even after their lives. They tend to hurt the vanities of the mediocrities that inevitably dominate in all fields.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    lol how are you going to arguing with people constantly about the definition of words on here and then misuse fact vs. opinion?
    How are you not going to understand that i was mimicking the idiom of the guy i quoted? What i said is no less of a 'fact' than what i quoted. Bunch of literalists on here smh.

Nevertheless, a highly intelligent person is always more likely to view themselves as a failure, no matter their social position, because they create higher standards for themselves; while most intelligent people are plagued with self-doubt, morons tend to be afflicted with a self-certainty that defies belief. Therefore, considering 'success' is a largely subjective concept, it seems likely to me that far more morons are likely to regard themselves as being successful than intelligent people.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady

I hope dude is straight
    Dresta admiring the glory of nature