Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Metalheads, your GOAT metal/hard rock bands lineups

Metallica with Hetfield, Mustaine, Burton and Ulrich

Iron Maiden with D'Anno, Harris, Smith, Murray and Burr (RIP)

Black Sabbath with Dio, Iommi, Butler and Appice

Megadeth with Mustaine, Friedman, Ellefson and Menza

AC/DC with Scott, Angus, Malcolm, Rudd and Williams

Guns n' Roses with Rose, Slash, McKagan, Stradlin and Adler

What say you?

Local High School Star MightyWhitey's Avatar

Default Re: Metalheads, your GOAT metal/hard rock bands lineups

Mustaine, Ellefson, Menza, and Friedman were the greatest Megadeth line-up ever.

I liked the Pantera line-up from Cowboys to Re-inventing considering it never changed (Dime rip).

Mayhem's line-up with Dead and Euronymous was the best Mayhem ever.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyWhitey
    Mustaine, Ellefson, Menza, and Friedman were the greatest Megadeth line-up ever.
    Yup...and it's not even close.

OP, why do you think that is the best Metallica lineup? KEA is the only album Mustaine had a major contribution on, and it was quite easily their weakest album on the 80's imo.

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

Black Sabbath with Dio, Iommi, Butler and Appice?????

NBA Legend

Jonas Bros: Nick (vocals), Joe (lead guitar), Paul (rhythm guitar)

Huge Metallica fan for just shy of 25 years now and I'm gonna disagree with the Mustaine years being the prime. Het, Lars, Kirk and Cliff > all others...although I personally think Rob Trujillo is a f*cking beast on the bass and he tends to get drastically underrated. Mustaine went that classic Megadeth lineup got together. Those boys were unstoppable.

Big time agreement on the GNR lineup. I just saw a trailer for some DVD release Axl is putting out this year of a long-ass show his tribute band did in Vegas and I couldn't help but be awed at how ridiculous it looked. He sounds terrible now and they've got some makeup wearing dink wearing a top hat and posing EXACTLY like Slash playing Slash's parts. Its a joke.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuebecBaller
    Black Sabbath with Dio, Iommi, Butler and Appice?????

Dio-era Sabbath > Ozzy Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent

OP, why do you think that is the best Metallica lineup? KEA is the only album Mustaine had a major contribution on, and it was quite easily their weakest album on the 80's imo.
    I actually like KEA the most. It has everything the other 80s albums have to offer, but much rawer and aggressive. The 7 minute song, the instrumental, the filler songs, the go to song. It's like those 80s Metallica albums all were based on the same formula.

RTL was the bit more polished version and from a mix of song material and production MOP was their peak, but AJFA already pointed to the direction they were heading and that wasn't a good direction imo.

As for Sabbath I think Iommi/Butler did their best job on the Ozzy albums song writing wise, but the Dio years were way better musically.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent

I guess I base it on potential, imagine how much greater Metallica would've been with a decade of TWO riff gods (Hetfield and Mustaine) working together Hammett hardly contributes in songwriting anyways and he's a bit overrated as a soloist. Add to that Cliff Burton...what could've been

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    I guess I base it on potential, imagine how much greater Metallica would've been with a decade of TWO riff gods (Hetfield and Mustaine) working together Hammett hardly contributes in songwriting anyways and he's a bit overrated as a soloist. Add to that Cliff Burton...what could've been
    No chemistry and as much as Kirk's overrated, Mustaine wouldn't provide anything on the lead, same for Hetfield.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

agreed, with mustaine they would have written some sweet music, imagine the first few megadeth albums mixed with the first few metallic albums

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    I actually like KEA the most. It has everything the other 80s albums have to offer, but much rawer and aggressive. The 7 minute song, the instrumental, the filler songs, the go to song. It's like those 80s Metallica albums all were based on the same formula.

RTL was the bit more polished version and from a mix of song material and production MOP was their peak, but AJFA already pointed to the direction they were heading and that wasn't a good direction imo.

As for Sabbath I think Iommi/Butler did their best job on the Ozzy albums song writing wise, but the Dio years were way better musically.
    Spot on, I love Ozzy as much as the next guy but two of my top 3 favorite Sabbath albums are from the Dio years, Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell.

No chemistry and as much as Kirk's overrated, Mustaine wouldn't provide anything on the lead, same for Hetfield.
    Mustaine > Hammett as lead guitarists...proof? The Four Horsemen, which Mustaine wrote but his version is called the Mechanix, Hammett basically ripped off the solo Mustaine had laid down before he got canned. Dave has also claimed that he wrote a lot of the riffs that Metallica used in later albums like Master Of Puppets, I think he's said that The Thing That Should Not Be and Leper Messiah were a few of his riffs.

Mustaine has written songs that have easily some of the greatest guitar work in metal history (Tornado of Souls, Lucretia, In My Darkest Hour, Wake Up Dead, Peace Sells, Mary Jane to name but a few)
    Last edited by TheMan; 03-06-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Spot on, I love Ozzy as much as the next guy but two of my top 3 favorite Sabbath albums are from the Dio years, Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell.
    Exactly. They're 1 & 3 for me out of their catalogue.

Exactly. They're 1 & 3 for me out of their catalogue.