Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Default Re: Football/soccer all-time draft tournament(organized matchups)

I take Sajo, can't decide between the other two. I think they're 1a and 1b teams in the draft.

alenleomesi and Overdrive

Banned

Bosnian Sajo vs waseem780 4-5 budadii vote does not count as he is a troll and has somekind of a feud with waseem as posted in the first page.

dunksby vs Overdrive 3-5

Jasi vs alenleomessi 4-1

iamgine already in the semis.

after i wake up all the teams with a better record will go through. ( in 12 h or so when i go online )

Quote Originally Posted by cos88
    Bosnian Sajo vs waseem780 4-5 budadii vote does not count as he is a troll and has somekind of a feud with waseem as posted in the first page.

dunksby vs Overdrive 3-5

Jasi vs alenleomessi 4-1

iamgine already in the semis.

after i wake up all the teams with a better record will go through. ( in 12 h or so when i go online )
    **** that, I was the first to say he wasn't allowed to be in the drafts, not like we are best friends. 5-5 for me and waseem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasi
    It's nice that people got back to voting in this thread, but it would be nicer if they gave a bit of explanation too I guess the point of these threads is to talk football, more than to win a made up tournament. At least for me it is.

This, excluding LJJ, all of the votes for Waseem had no explanation whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    I'm going with Overdrive also. I think his 5 main players on offense are extremely well balanced, I'm really digging that lineup. Overmars and Batistuta would be golden getting serviced by Seedorf and especially Laudrup.

Also, the amount of damage a CB like Koeman can do while getting covered by Muller or Cantona scares me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbvnAUweepw

Of course, his fullback selection is weak. Especially with these wings, having proper fullbacks would give him a trump over the extremely narrow teams in this draft.

That said I still don't get dunksby's team. Not a huge fan of Cantona and Tigana and Chumpitaz. The rest of the players are great, but they largely are a poor fit together.
    It's nice that people got back to voting in this thread, but it would be nicer if they gave a bit of explanation too I guess the point of these threads is to talk football, more than to win a made up tournament. At least for me it is.

dunskby vs Overdrive.
    I have the feeling the overall talent level in both team could have been higher.
    Considering this, I vote Overdrive: I really like his concept and I think he picked players that fit. Ok, S.Ramos... he could have selected a better RB. On the other hand I have to stand up for Donadoni who is being underrated here. He was an outstanding RW. Great skills, great workrate, excellent dribbler, both feet, could either reah the goal line and cross, or drift in and shoot or pass, would consistently track back. Hell, he was a pillar in Sacchi's Milan i.e. one of the most spectacular and dominant teams ever.
    Dunksby's team will play better in this matchup rather than the previous one I believe, but all in all I think there's lower quality and consistency their his game.
    I don't get your opinions, you don't even have an opinion on my team, a skim over my players and saying basically 'Meh' is copping out. Whether it is due to reasons such as being ignorant of my players' abilities and or personal bias (a Dutch and an Italian hating on a German oriented team) or just being too lazy and wanting to drop a vote.
    I'm sorry if I'm blunt about this but I can't take such analyses seriously.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Overdrive's team is incredibly weak defensively, and Drunksby's is ridiculously solid through core. and there's a strong German element. Lacks width somewhat, and will get stuck in attack, but the probabilities favor him.

All you need is manager like say, Hidalgo.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    I don't get your opinions, you don't even have an opinion on my team, a skim over my players and saying basically 'Meh' is copping out. Whether it is due to reasons such as being ignorant of my players' abilities and or personal bias (a Dutch and an Italian hating on a German oriented team) or just being too lazy and wanting to drop a vote.
    I thought I had elaborated on your squad previously, but I guess it's not enough for you. Just ask for some further elaboration, you don't need to cop out and just dismiss someone else's opinion as ignorance or nationalism.

I just see some pretty major offensive problems for your team. Defensively it’s one of the best teams in the draft. The best defensive right back in the draft, good stoppers centrally and a very defensively oriented, workhorse midfield. It’s a good, compact team defensively other than the three strikers who do nothing for you.

Offensively you have very little coverage on the flanks and the center is overcrowded and has chemistry issues. The right side is practically deserted. Vogts, Klinsmann, Cantona and non of your midfielders really want to go there. Opposing teams can almost disregard that entire side. As your strikers you have two players who purely play centrally inside the box and need service, and one player who doesn’t need service but doesn’t really do anything for anyone else either. They are all center forwards.
    On midfield you have Tigana and Pirri, both of whom could do pretty good offensively if you had players ahead of them who held the ball and waited for them to join the offense. In the same way Klinsmann and Muller need service from midfield and wingers, Tigana and Pirri need service from the strikers and wingers to function offensively. They aren’t players who set up the offense, they are players who join the offense. And your strikers aren't the type of strikers who facilitate that.

You have Breitner who can provide some playmaking and you have Brehme who can run up and cross the ball, but it’s not enough to make up for the lack of synergy between the rest of the players.

Sorry man, I admit I was just being lazy here, because I had already written a lot about your team in the previous round.
    This doesn't mean that my vote has no ground or comes from national bias.
    Like I said, there is a basic, quite relevant flaw in your team, which is the lack of top-level playmaking.
    The strikers are good finishers but cannot create. Cantona only creates for himself. None of your midfielders is a born playmaker, despite all of them being good with the ball.
    The FBs cannot create, only run and receive passes and cross.
    It is a solid team but because of what I just said it just lacks the "all-time greatness".

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Overdrive's team is incredibly weak defensively, and Drunksby's is ridiculously solid through core. and there's a strong German element. Lacks width somewhat, and will get stuck in attack, but the probabilities favor him.

All you need is manager like say, Hidalgo.
    I have to object here. My defensive line isn't Carlos Alberto, Baresi, Beckenbauer, Maldini, but Sammer, Koeman and Nadal are no slouches either. I picked players fitting my plan and a plan fitting my players, that's why I think many teams here fail on chemistry. I picked solid workers as FBs not one of those Brazilians who only played FB, because there can't be 10 midfielders. I already explained I don't need them to create. On the other hand, how can dunksby create? His midfield and trio of 9s is way to seperated. He fields a kick and rush outfit that has 3 strikers who want the ball flat on their feet.

Don't get me wrong I like his team, but Cantona is a negative here, especially facing Sammer who could mark him if he liked.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    I thought I had elaborated on your squad previously, but I guess it's not enough for you. Just ask for some further elaboration, you don't need to cop out and just dismiss someone else's opinion as ignorance or nationalism.

I just see some pretty major offensive problems for your team. Defensively it’s one of the best teams in the draft. The best defensive right back in the draft, good stoppers centrally and a very defensively oriented, workhorse midfield. It’s a good, compact team defensively other than the three strikers who do nothing for you.

Offensively you have very little coverage on the flanks and the center is overcrowded and has chemistry issues. The right side is practically deserted. Vogts, Klinsmann, Cantona and non of your midfielders really want to go there. Opposing teams can almost disregard that entire side. As your strikers you have two players who purely play centrally inside the box and need service, and one player who doesn’t need service but doesn’t really do anything for anyone else either. They are all center forwards.
    On midfield you have Tigana and Pirri, both of whom could do pretty good offensively if you had players ahead of them who held the ball and waited for them to join the offense. In the same way Klinsmann and Muller need service from midfield and wingers, Tigana and Pirri need service from the strikers and wingers to function offensively. They aren’t players who set up the offense, they are players who join the offense. And your strikers aren't the type of strikers who facilitate that.

You have Breitner who can provide some playmaking and you have Brehme who can run up and cross the ball, but it’s not enough to make up for the lack of synergy between the rest of the players.
    Sorry man, I admit I was just being lazy here, because I had already written a lot about your team in the previous round.
    This doesn't mean that my vote has no ground or comes from national bias.
    Like I said, there is a basic, quite relevant flaw in your team, which is the lack of top-level playmaking.
    The strikers are good finishers but cannot create. Cantona only creates for himself. None of your midfielders is a born playmaker, despite all of them being good with the ball.
    The FBs cannot create, only run and receive passes and cross.
    It is a solid team but because of what I just said it just lacks the "all-time greatness".

1- I got Brehme on the left flank who is more than capable of servicing my strikers, deadly crosses aside, he is a perfect set-piece taker. My team is deadly on corners and free-kicks with him taking them. On the right I got Vogts making runs to support Brietner who is also a world class wing in his own right.
    2- Cantona is not a pure center forward, I dunno why you keep to this idea dude played his best behind forwards. Dude is a genius who would feast on Overdrive's defense.
    3- Muller is more than capable of creating for himself with his bursts of runs and quickness, a master at finding space to free himself.
    4- Brietner and Tigana are formidable passers and distributors, both smart and savvy on finding open teammates.
    5- Contrary to your belief my team has good chemistry as the characteristics of my players compliment them. I got team players as well as individually brilliant ones.
    6- Like I said, for whatever reason my players are hugely underrated in your views which I cannot help but argue, as futile as it seems.

ETA: Disrupting opponent's build up play and attack from there is another specialty of my team that's gonna play an additional major factor.
    Last edited by dunksby; 03-20-2014 at 06:16 AM.

1- I got Brehme on the left flank who is more than capable of servicing my strikers, deadly crosses aside, he is a perfect set-piece taker. My team is deadly on corners and free-kicks with him taking them. On the right I got Vogts making runs to support Brietner who is also a world class wing in his own right.
    2- Cantona is not a pure center forward, I dunno why you keep to this idea dude played his best behind forwards. Dude is a genius who would feast on Overdrive's defense.
    3- Muller is more than capable of creating for himself with his bursts of runs and quickness, a master at finding space to free himself.
    4- Brietner and Tigana are formidable passers and distributors, both smart and savvy on finding open teammates.
    5- Contrary to your belief my team has good chemistry as the characteristics of my players compliment them. I got team players as well as individually brilliant ones.
    6- Like I said, for whatever reason my players are hugely underrated in your views which I cannot help but argue, as futile as it seems.
    I don't think you can call me ignorant when you call Breitner a great winger (??? he never played there) on the right side (??? he never played there), V

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cos88
    Bosnian Sajo vs waseem780 3-3 at the moment, first to 5 goes through

waseem was the first to 5 even if we count budadiii's vote which OP said at the start it doesn't count. waseem in the semis sorry it's been 1 month we have to finish this. i'll make the matchups soon.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    I have to object here. My defensive line isn't Carlos Alberto, Baresi, Beckenbauer, Maldini, but Sammer, Koeman and Nadal are no slouches either. I picked players fitting my plan and a plan fitting my players, that's why I think many teams here fail on chemistry. I picked solid workers as FBs not one of those Brazilians who only played FB, because there can't be 10 midfielders. I already explained I don't need them to create. On the other hand, how can dunksby create? His midfield and trio of 9s is way to seperated. He fields a kick and rush outfit that has 3 strikers who want the ball flat on their feet.

Don't get me wrong I like his team, but Cantona is a negative here, especially facing Sammer who could mark him if he liked.
    I don't particularly disagree with much there, except Sammer on Cantona. Cantona is as ovverated as they come, and I agree, someone like Laudrup or Zidane would be much better in that role.

But my thing is midfield and defense, his is just remarkably strong and you see that they'll play well together. Everyone behind the forwards is tactically and physically astute, and they'll just control the game more.

I think the gap between Sammer and the other two mids is too big, too much space for Cantona to operate in. He's less talented than your mids, but your mids will have it harder.

My main issue is your team is built to control games, to dominate, but I just don't think they will. I think the other team has more balance and chemistry.

Matthias Sammer suffers from the Undeserved Ballon d'Or syndrome, but let's not underrate him, he was a great player.
    If anything, we can argue his selection as a CDM, considering that he preferred a box-to-box role when he played as a MF and then became a sweeper. So we can "infer" he'd be (very) good at CDM, but he never really played as such.