Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Mental Strength is genetics. Agreed?

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacAttack
    You cant just put it down to one thing imo.
    this

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Hey Joyner how'd you like that True Detective finale?
    I'm not joyner but I thought it was solid. The Yellow King was creepy as ****, and the acting was great. It wasn't perfect, but great finale

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    I'm not joyner but I thought it was solid. The Yellow King was creepy as ****, and the acting was great. It wasn't perfect, but great finale
    I loved it too, but Joyner claimed that he "solved" the mystery and posted this huge fvcking novel about Marty's wife being in the cult with his daughter and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by keep-itreal
    You're either born mentally tough or mentally weak. Agreed?
    no, it's a mix of nutrition and sociological conditions

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    it was shit until the final scene.

Mostly genetic. It's a fact that different people have different chemical reactions to different stimulus such as pressure or fear.

A very simplified way to put it would be the fight or flight instinct in all animals. Given identical circumstances, 2 of the same species presented with a tense situation, 1 might retreat (flight) and 1 might dive into it (fight).

You can gain confidence and be somewhat shaped by certain circumstances, but if it is your nature to have the flight instinct, it will always be your nature forever.

NBA rookie of the year

Eh ... it's kind of hard to say.

I think mental toughness is basically like a muscle ... if you don't work it out, it will be weak. If you work it out a lot, it will be strong.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Not entirely no. Yes, what you're born with can predetermine somewhat what you become. But remember, your genetics and genome are constantly evolving and changing due to the environment that surrounds you. Say someone like MJ, who grew up in an environment were he had a father figure that gave him toughness, and brothers that gave him competitiveness. As for LeBron he didn't grow up in a similar environment, so perhaps that is why it took him longer for him to have those traits(i.e. choking and learning from the 2011 finals failure.)

It s not really genes that make an individual, it s gene expressions that make him. Some of the genes are deactivated in some situations and they get activated in other situations. Gene expressions are highly affected by the environment in which the individual lives.

Gene expressions make an individual s personality. So, mostly, an individual s personality is due to his surroundings. His childhood, friends, experiences, etc. all contribute to his personality. It s the same thing for mental strength. Your life experience determine your mental strength. It can be modified.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by livinglegend
    It s not really genes that make an individual, it s gene expressions that make him. Some of the genes are deactivated in some situations and they get activated in other situations. Gene expressions are highly affected by the environment in which the individual lives.

So, mostly, an individual s personality is due to his surroundings. His childhood, friends, experiences, etc. all contribute to his personality. It s the same thing for mental strength. Your life experience determine your mental strength. It can be modified.
    exactly

When you go through tough experiences and ****ed up sh1t in your life, there are two ways you can respond.

You can be weak, dwell on self-pity, give up and do nothing to better yourself.

Or you can increase your mental strength and willpower, do something about it, and become a better person overall who's more tough and mentally strong.

Local High School Star

Nature vs Nurture debate

50% of both

However individuals are different. Some Children grow up amongst war and seeing their parents r4ped and killed infront of them and become productive caring members of societies. Others do not..

If it is, it's also more than that so it doesn't really matter.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Mostly genetic. It's a fact that different people have different chemical reactions to different stimulus such as pressure or fear.

A very simplified way to put it would be the fight or flight instinct in all animals. Given identical circumstances, 2 of the same species presented with a tense situation, 1 might retreat (flight) and 1 might dive into it (fight).

You can gain confidence and be somewhat shaped by certain circumstances, but if it is your nature to have the flight instinct, it will always be your nature forever.
    That doesn't prove it either way, because those two animals could be both different in genes and different in experiences.

Either way, it's near impossible to test this without taking identical twins from birth

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I'd say that it is mostly learned. A great deal of that comes from your upbringing and childhood, however, it is something that is fluid and shifts throughout your life and situation to situation.