Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Something to prove games.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    I believe this affects performance more than people think. Especially those who only speak in terms of "averages" and so on.

Just this season, you can see Kevin Durant is trying to prove a point, trying to make a case for himself as the best all-around player in the league. He wants to win, sure. But he also wants to make a statement while doing so.

Meanwhile, I don't think it's a coincidence that LeBron made a point to outscore Durant, Melo and Paul George when they went up against each other. Or to stay in the game so he could hit 60. While Durant wants to show that he's an all-around player, LeBron wants to make sure everyone understands that he can score with the best of them too.

That's why you never say to a great competitor that "he's done", "he's overrated" or "I can guard him". Chances are, that'll bring the best in him. You don't brag when you're up 15 with 4 minutes to go, mock your opponent because he has a cold, or bring out the ropes when there's 30 seconds left. It's just not a very smart thing to do.
    I wonder if the Lakers win game 7 in 69 if they didn't let it slip that they had the balloons ready to drop and the UCLA band on standby to play when the Lakers won. I cant even imagine the look on Bill Russells face when they smuggled him those plans.

Sure...they had to get ready in case...but they were taking it for granted. Cant give a team like that any extra billboard material.

Russell smiles so wide talking about telling the team "Its gonna be fun watching them take those balloons down one by one...."

You know he was ready to kill or die for that last win.

Scottie and MJ vs. Kukoc in the '92 Olympics is always an entertaining example.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Scottie and MJ vs. Kukoc in the '92 Olympics is always an entertaining example.
    Pip and Jordan have so many "something to prove" games, it's ridiculous. One of my favorites was the "It ain't over" game that the 97 Bulls had against the Lakers, where Nick da Quick was talking mad smack, while doing "Rocky on the punch bag" impressions, just knowing that the game was won. Needless to say, it wasn't.

That game's on you tube, if I'm not mistaken.

For MJ it would have to be the "Stackhouse Game" in 96. Rocking the then new Black Jerseys, AJ11s while making an utter fool of Stackhouse on jump shots, had EVERYBODY, including the bench, pumped up.

Damn that was a sick ass team, even on the latest NBA2ks.