Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Get On Up: James Brown Biopic Trailer

NBA Legend

Default Re: Get On Up: James Brown Biopic Trailer

I never heard back after my audition. I was hoping they were just taking a really long time to cast. Really thought Id get this one.

National High School Star

If nothing else the guy 'sounds' convincing as James Brown. I remember years ago it was rumored Eddie Murphy was approached to play Brown , but no way in hell could anyone watch Eddie (damn fool) without inappropriate laughter.

I am glad they will show Browns early years on drums & Organ since he was competent on both(as far as pop music goes), but no one paid to see James Brown on drums. (As well as other R&B artist/instrumentalist like Aretha Franklin,Marvin Gaye,etc....).

Thanks for the heads up as I never knew this was in production.

Banned

True story- a few years back I was working in real estate, got tired of it, decided I may want to try acting as a side hobby. Went on craigslist to see if any Indie/student films were looking for talent/crew/etc. Saw someone looking for actors for his directorial debut called 'blood on a broken pawn' or something to that effect. Sent a pic of myself and a made up resume. Got a response and he wanted me for a part and sent me the script. Shit was awful and I saw his name was Chadwick Boseman. Thought to myself, da fuq kinda name is that?

Passed on it.

Of course a few years later I'm on the subway and see a poster for the Jackie Robinson bipoic and who's the star? Muhphuckin Chadwick Boseman of course

I'm sure there's a life lesson in there somewhere.

Banned

Samuel l Jackson should have played James brown

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mr.big35

Nah, Morgan Freeman son

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    If nothing else the guy 'sounds' convincing as James Brown. I remember years ago it was rumored Eddie Murphy was approached to play Brown , but no way in hell could anyone watch Eddie (damn fool) without inappropriate laughter.

I am glad they will show Browns early years on drums & Organ since he was competent on both(as far as pop music goes), but no one paid to see James Brown on drums. (As well as other R&B artist/instrumentalist like Aretha Franklin,Marvin Gaye,etc....).

Thanks for the heads up as I never knew this was in production.
    Eddie basically played JB in Dreamgirls.

Wesley Snipes was to star as JB in the Spike Lee version. But of course, Hollywood wouldn't go anywhere near Spike's version, so we this version. Hopefully it's not a watered down version. I know Spike's would have been amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Eddie basically played JB in Dreamgirls.

Wesley Snipes was to star as JB in the Spike Lee version. But of course, Hollywood wouldn't go anywhere near Spike's version, so we this version. Hopefully it's not a watered down version. I know Spike's would have been amazing.

The Dreamgirls role was a JB clone somewhat, but asked about portraying Brown after his 2006 death(been that long?) Murphy sounded like he wanted no part of it. I don't have the exact quote ,but it was along the lines of people have to realize he is 45/ 46 years old & maybe a decade or more earlier he would have considered it. Just too physical a role he assumed at his age although Sniper isn't much younger.

Just hope as the trailer seems to portray him as a young well rounded musician he is also portrayed as a well rounded human & not some caricature of James Brown. Although he was character.

Spike Lee is always brutally honest in his films & would have done a great job if he hired good writers as I find his writing painful sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Nah, Morgan Freeman son
    shoulda been Denzel

Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

Thanks for posting and putting me up on this, had no idea Hollywood was actually going thru with a James Brown pic.

One of the most important artists/ individuals of all time.

One week away. Hope this does as good as Ray.

Like Bart Scott I "Can't wait!" I am going to the local 9:40 am showing. Love the peacefulness of matinees . Seems like we are getting a personal screening.

Before the film starts I'm giving this Boseman character points just for having the balls to play an iconic /colorful personality like James Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.big35
    Oh man!! That would be interesting. But then I would start expecting a few "MF" bombs, and the whole "Say What again. I dare you. Say what again, MF"

But I am going to watch this movie today, well later. I can't wait!!

NBA Superstar

I'm looking forward to hearing feedback on this one. I cannot tell if Boseman will be legitimately convincing or not.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    True story- a few years back I was working in real estate, got tired of it, decided I may want to try acting as a side hobby. Went on craigslist to see if any Indie/student films were looking for talent/crew/etc. Saw someone looking for actors for his directorial debut called 'blood on a broken pawn' or something to that effect. Sent a pic of myself and a made up resume. Got a response and he wanted me for a part and sent me the script. Shit was awful and I saw his name was Chadwick Boseman. Thought to myself, da fuq kinda name is that?

Passed on it.

Of course a few years later I'm on the subway and see a poster for the Jackie Robinson bipoic and who's the star? Muhphuckin Chadwick Boseman of course

I'm sure there's a life lesson in there somewhere.
    That's actually pretty fascinating. Ever take any other parts?

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    Like Bart Scott I "Can't wait!" I am going to the local 9:40 am showing. Love the peacefulness of matinees . Seems like we are getting a personal screening.

Before the film starts I'm giving this Boseman character points just for having the balls to play an iconic /colorful personality like James Brown.
    Everyone says he does a good job.

I was going through the stations today and Good Morning America was on. They were interviewing Mick Jagger. And the lady asked Mick did JB get his moves from you. I thought she was joking at first but was serious.