Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Default Re: Cp3 finals or bust

[QUOTE=All Net]You aren't making any sense

there is no excuse for him as a top 3-5 to not make the finals but he has to beat A guy who alot consider the MVP and the 1st or 2nd best player? I

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    He sure as hell better make the WCF and give OKC one hell of a series. BG is a top 5 player this year, who know's if WB will even be 100% through the entire playoffs
    No the Spurs still have the best team in the League. The Thunder have the best player(or 2nd) in the NBA. The only expectation is second round an adequate performance against these two teams.

How is his team not a "finals worthy" team compared to others?

BG is a top 5 player in the league

Cp3 according to most is a top 5 player in the league

Doc is one of the best coaches in the league

their team is one of the most talented/deep teams in the league. This team is more than finals worthy
    Spurs. Best Team in the nba.
    Durant. MVP. Nobody with a brain thinks the Clippers are favotites.
    that was 2012, what has he done since then to ward off the criticism?
    That was one series. What did he do before or after that series to warrant criticism?

the Clippers are expected to make the WCF, at least they should..

if the meet OKC in the WCF and lose in a hard fought series, then ok.

if the meet OKC in the WCF and lose in 4 or 5, then the criticism is warranted (barring an injury to Cp3 or BG)
    I mean is as it stands now...OKC and Clippers would meet in round two.

@TheMarkMadsen

Besides his injured '12 Spurs and '09 Nuggets series can you go through Paul's playoff career and tell us:

The series where he didn't play like a top 5 player?

What teams did he lose to that weren't better than his?

Decent playground baller Black Mamba's B's Avatar

but GSW don't have two top 5 players on their team

So many people claim that Cp3 impacts the game as much as a Lebron/Durant/Kobe, yet for some reason nobody holds Cp3 to the same expectations?
    Exactly. With that said I have CP3 as the best pg in the game and he should be held accountable if he doesn't perform well

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

what are you even talking about? Nobody would be saying that about Cousy and Oscar because Oscar was so great/dominating in his own right and Cousy played on the fcking Celtics with possibly the greatest basketball player of all time.

Stop trying to go on your classic pseudo history lesson and actually address some of the points i've made

Cp3 is considered a top 3-5 player in the league

his team is one of the most deep/talented teams in the league

his 2nd best player is averaging 24 & 10 and is a legit MVP candidate who held the team together when Cp3 went out

Cp3 has been the league for 9 years and hasn't made it past the 2nd round

Cp3 is considered a top 3-5 player in the league..

If he he is a top 3-5 player in the league, it's finals or bust considered all of the above.

First...people did say it about cousy. And it wasnt just in the 60s. Ive read articles from when Cousy was Nate Archibalds coach when Nate was leading the league in scoring and assists...cousy himself says Nate is better than he was. Others were saying that till Tiny wins such and such he cant compare. Its an old stale argument that has been wrong since the first time it was used.

Second....better players than Chris Paul have not made the finals with better teams than he has.

If you are so inept when it comes to judging basketball playing ability that you cant tell how good someone is over hundreds of games and need to wait for a 2 week stretch to decide between 3-5 and 6-8 or whatever it is....I dont need to consider your points.

If you cant explain why Paul is not top...whatever....by explaining what his game lacks that others dont...or make up for in other ways...I dont much care what your conclusion is.

Just people tied up in arbitrary numbers(usually 3, 5 and 10 as if they are much different from 4, 6 and 11) looking for an easy out on point making.

If it makes you feel better to hear that hes the 6th best player in the league as opposed to the fifth....fine. Im not caught up in shit like that.

Hes one of the best players to ever dribble a ball.

Thats been painfully obvious since like 2008. If he never wins a thing hes going to the hall of fame the first year its possible and he like all the other greats will be gushed about for all time as people get further from the emotion and agendas of the moment and look at the big picture.

On here arguing about something as arbitrary as a damn top ___ ranking when even you probably put him so high his spot as one of the best to ever do it is clear.

Even if you put him behind Lebron, Durant, and somehow Westbrook, Curry, and...I dont know...Melo. You would be saying hes one of the worst sure fire hall of fame legends in the game.

Hating on greatness over some random ass number ranking when 5 generations of basketball fans will look back at highlights, the record books, and listen to his peers and wish they had a chance to see the great Chris Paul in his day just absurd to me.

The more I watch people do it the less I understand the point of things like this.

I did it myself some...10 years ago I did it quite a bit. Even more back in the day. I think ive outgrown it.

Id rather give history lessons on a subject im passionate about than fight over top 3 vs top 4 like it means anything significant.

One kid googles Jack Twyman and learns something id be happier about it than about convincing someone that someone I dont like should be 2 spots lower than someone else thinks.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 03-20-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    That's not true, because why do people still criticize his lack of playoff success when he raises his averages in the playoffs? If he plays well and his team loses because of his teammates injuries or them under performing people will just say those are excuses.

How he plays doesn't matter at all, it all depends on his teammates level of play - if his teammates play well, they'll win and he'll get respect, if they don't, they'll lose and he'll get criticism. How he plays has 0% to do with anything, no one looks at that, they just look at if he win or not.
    No one who knows how to use their brain criticizes him up to now. He has played pretty well in the playoffs and if he plays well again and loses to the better team then once again its all good. But lets be real the guy is not exactly young anymore basketball-wise and if he retires without any meaningful post season success then it will be hard to compare him to someone like zeke who went all the way

This whole thing is why Dwight is underrated IMO

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH

It's usually the supporting cast letting him down.
    Exclude 2012 then I'd agree.

All Net and Kblaze have owned OP enough... he's one of those stans that lack knowledge of the game and proper analysis, therefore ALWAYS go back to basing everything off of team success/rings...
    Last edited by ArbitraryWater; 03-20-2014 at 05:33 PM.

He's too busy selling insurance...

Basketball Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    First...people did say it about cousy. And it wasnt just in the 60s. Ive read articles from when Cousy was Nate Archibalds coach when Nate was leading the league in scoring and assists...cousy himself says Nate is better than he was. Others were saying that till Tiny wins such and such he cant compare. Its an old stale argument that has been wrong since the first time it was used.

Second....better players than Chris Paul have not made the finals with better teams than he has.

If you are so inept when it comes to judging basketball playing ability that you cant tell how good someone is over hundreds of games and need to wait for a 2 week stretch to decide between 3-5 and 6-8 or whatever it is....I dont need to consider your points.

If you cant explain why Paul is not top...whatever....by explaining what his game lacks that others dont...or make up for in other ways...I dont much care what your conclusion is.

Just people tied up in arbitrary numbers(usually 3, 5 and 10 as if they are much different from 4, 6 and 11) looking for an easy out on point making.

If it makes you feel better to hear that hes the 6th best player in the league as opposed to the fifth....fine. Im not caught up in shit like that.

Hes one of the best players to ever dribble a ball.

Thats been painfully obvious since like 2008. If he never wins a thing hes going to the hall of fame the first year its possible and he like all the other greats will be gushed about for all time as people get further from the emotion and agendas of the moment and look at the big picture.

On here arguing about something as arbitrary as a damn top ___ ranking when even you probably put him so high his spot as one of the best to ever do it is clear.

Even if you put him behind Lebron, Durant, and somehow Westbrook, Curry, and...I dont know...Melo. You would be saying hes one of the worst sure fire hall of fame legends in the game.

Hating on greatness over some random ass number ranking when 5 generations of basketball fans will look back at highlights, the record books, and listen to his peers and wish they had a chance to see the great Chris Paul in his day just absurd to me.

The more I watch people do it the less I understand the point of things like this.

I did it myself some...10 years ago I did it quite a bit. Even more back in the day. I think ive outgrown it.

Id rather give history lessons on a subject im passionate about than fight over top 3 vs top 4 like it means anything significant.

One kid googles Jack Twyman and learns something id be happier about it than about convincing someone that someone I dont like should be 2 spots lower than someone else thinks.
    are you seriously implying that cp3 would be a first ballot hall of famer when dennis rodman wasn't? if a few off the court escapades could stop a, what? 5 time nba champion, 1 time dpoy, and a record holder of 7 consecutive rebounding titles from being first ballot, then what about cp3? a player who has never made it past the second round beyond being swept and was backdoor swept in the first round last year?

do you even plan on holding him accountable? you can hide behind the "he's a first ballot hof" nonsense all you want, but you seem to forget that playoffs > regular season by a mile. that's when the lights are brightest and when the world is watching. you can average 50 points during the regular season for all i care, but if you "wilt" in the playoffs time after time, over and over again, then the common denominator is you.

hold him accountable. can truly be considered a great player with such marginal post season success (when it matters the most)?

can anyone seriously continue to overrate a player who cannot even deliver a deep playoff run to any team he has ever been on?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Hold him accountable for what exactly? Hes had a better career winning wise than plenty of people already in the HOF. And can he be considered a great player having only made the second round?

Please.

There is a list of undisputed great players a mile long who never won more than Paul already has(as a teams best player). With years to go.

The appreciation for greatness has never been lower it seems. The idea that you could even discuss if Chris Paul was a great player or not is cringe worthy and will be remembered as such.

CP3 will perform fine in the playoffs if he isn't injured.

I'm not even concerned about that... he is as mentally tough as they come.

That said, there is only 2 guys in the league that can get the a conference finals by themselves... CP3 may be number 3 behind them but it's a pretty big gap.

If he doesn't make it, it doesn't diminish him as a player... who goes ahead of him?

I think next year will be the year for the Clippers. Blake Griffin has gotten to a top 5-10 player level but if he can hit his jumper at a 45% clip instead of 40% (as he shoots now) I don't see how he will be guardable.

He will be the top 3 player (or 4 if Anthony Davis matures faster than I expect).

The question with CP3 is can he lead a great team? He has an incredible ability to lead a very good team but is he too ball dominant to allow a great team to develop? The jury is still out IMO.

His 3rd straight year with an extremely talented team

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco
    so the clippers havent been a talented team the past 3 years?