Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Default Re: Why Do People Treat Reggie Miller Like He's a Legend?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Ive probably made 300 posts over the years on why I don't use shooting percentage to evaluate players. Yet here I am with you asking me questions like that as if I said I judge a player by shooting percentage.

I don't just players on FG%...TS%...efg...none of it. Never have. Outside extreme cases I don't even need to know.

But it is what it is. You take 10 shots and make 5 you shot 50%. Other guy takes 10 and makes 4....he shot worse.

You not liking the fact that 48 is a bigger number than 46 is irrelevant. Calling it a lie is just not true.

LMAO you don't even realize that you contradicted yourself.

'i never use shooting percentages but if one guy shoots 50%...'

Yet you spent the last several days downplaying Reggie's shooting using FG% and now you are trying to say you dont use shooting percentages? Isn't it a little early to be drunk?

Reminds me of that scene from Caddyshack:

Chevy "You're not being the ball Danny".

Danny "It's kind of hard with you talking"

Chevy "I've stopped talking.....not talking now...."
    Last edited by tontoz; 03-31-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    We've spent 13 pages talking his "impact"...Whether you agree or not is your opinion but it wouldn't hurt to read the thread...
    I've read the thread. You guys have spent 13 pages overrating the shit out of miller. Fact is, his impact just isn't nearly as great as most players in the top 100 of all time. It's his longevity that gives him a case to be up there.

I don't necessarily think he's a legendary player, he's a HOF player no doubt, but could be argued outside a top ten SG of all time or anything like that.

All you guys keep talking about how clutch he is as if that's something that's not mostly subjective and when I gave a list of players with a larger resume of game winning shots /carrying their team down the stretch you guys ridicule and laugh instead of debate.

The man was tenacious, shot 3's and had some great moments, but don't let that get to your head.

You guys are hopeless.

I think you are confusing "Legend" with "GOAT/Top 10" or something.... A legend is a story describing plausible but extraordinary past events.... which Reggie had, plentiful....

Now you can debate all you want but i have seen as much as possible from him live and i can honestly say i have not seen somebody hit more gamewinning jumpers during the 90s and after his retirement.. there is no data on that, thankfully (for guys who think MJ had the most), but i wouldnt and you shouldnt be surprised if he did hit the most gamewinners in NBA history.... He was the Pacers go-to-guy for 18 straight years in the 4th quarter/clutch & he was terribly consistant in that facet, rarely missing games aswell.... and for those 18 straight years he was known as the best shooter in the NBA and for many enough also clutch player...

He is to me the greatest shooter, clutch shooter ever with 18 years of memorable moments.... on top of that he was a very unique character with his trashtalking, drama and vicious competitiveness which allowed him to get under the skin of anybody (including MJ) to the point where they would mentally crumble & choke/underperform during a game.... if you were not a fan of Reggie it was sometimes like watching a horror movie but where the villain wins at the end..... he was one of those guys who would hit a gamewinner on MJ and then walk by him saying like: "Nice 40 points though...... at least you are better than me huh?" lol, I am serious...
    that player would then go home and do nothing but think about that damn **** Reggie the entire night....
    There is just some intangibles you cant measure in stats which actually impacts the game dramatically....

...and yes he averaged 18 ppg, but the thing is most (if not all) of those would he unleash in the 4th and 1-3 ppg of those could be clutch/gamewinners per game... :)

He was beloved due to his loyalness aswell and hence all in all retired the way literally every player in the league dream of.... did you see the ending of his last game against Pistons? Thats not a way you treat somebody who wasnt a legend....

A bit OT maybe but Reggie was kindof a rolemodel/teacher in my basketball "career" aswell due to his work ethic and mostly because i could just learn by just watching his games.... you see Reggie was the greatest off the ball player/screen abuser ever, he had the most ridicilous bag of tricks he would use to get open & his cardio was like that of a marathon runner, he then just needed a millisecond to release his shot at 6'7" and swish!.... it was therefore essentially extremly gruesome to try and guard him (ask Kobe, who said Reggie was the toughest guy he ever had to guard and he did guard MJ, mind you, Kobe knows very well...) and im sure you heard Rip Hamilton & Ray Allen reveal that their screen/off the ball plays came by "stealing" Reggies moves aswell...
    Last edited by pauk; 03-31-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Just2McFly
    I've read the thread. You guys have spent 13 pages overrating the shit out of miller. Fact is, his impact just isn't nearly as great as most players in the top 100 of all time. It's his longevity that gives him a case to be up there.

I don't necessarily think he's a legendary player, he's a HOF player no doubt, but could be argued outside a top ten SG of all time or anything like that.

All you guys keep talking about how clutch he is as if that's something that's not mostly subjective and when I gave a list of players with a larger resume of game winning shots /carrying their team down the stretch you guys ridicule and laugh instead of debate.

The man was tenacious, shot 3's and had some great moments, but don't let that get to your head.

You guys are hopeless.
    Your "list" of players that you claimed have a larger resume in gamewinning shots/carrying their team down the stretch guys included two roleplayers in Fisher and Horry, Ray Allen and Allen Iverson who both lost twice to Miller in the playoffs while being outplayed in the series and outperformed in the clutch, Carmelo Anthony who went to the playoffs 10 times, 8 of them losing in the first round, Paul Pierce who lost a playoff series versus a Pacers team ravaged by injuries and suspensions post brawl and featuring a 39 year old Miller scoring 28 and 33pts respectively in two pacers wins that eventually led to them beating boston in 2005. Other players you listed included Wade, Lebron, Kobe and Dirk which I wont bother to list their share of playoff failures because everyone knows them.

You claimed to have read this thread yet you failed to see the numerous gamewinners and huge clutch games by Miller posted by other people? Even Kblaze noted that Miller hit 14 gamewinners in a single season which is something I posted 4 years ago as a newbie poster and was told to get off the thread probably because it was too unbelievable to have happened, too "legendary". He may not have won a championship but if it comes to clutch resume few people comes close

Serious playground baller

These young folks think that to be great Miller should have teamed up with Malone and Stockton to form the Miami Heat so they could finally beat the Bulls.

Miller pulled off his stats by being THE MAN on the Pacers. Let that sink in a little bit... the PACERS. Who else was with Reggie in the 90s worth noting? Mark Jackson? Detlef Schrempf was only there a couple years.

LeBron couldn't cope in Cleveland being "THE MAN" and there is "no doubt" he's legendary, right?

Miller was NY Knicks kryptonite in a time when NY Knicks were one of the NBAs best teams. He's legendary for that alone ... Spike Lee probably wanted to strangle him at center court in MSG.
    Last edited by davehos; 03-31-2014 at 12:54 PM.

miller is a legend in his own regard... he was also a thrill to watch. not to mention that game winner in mj's face was some sh!t to see.

Quote Originally Posted by davehos
    These young folks think that to be great Miller should have teamed up with Malone and Stockton to form the Miami Heat so they could finally beat the Bulls.

Miller pulled off his stats by being THE MAN on the Pacers. Let that sink in a little bit... the PACERS. Who else was with Reggie in the 90s worth noting? Mark Jackson? Detlef Schrempf was only there a couple years.

LeBron couldn't cope in Cleveland being "THE MAN" and there is "no doubt" he's legendary, right?

Miller was NY Knicks kryptonite in a time when NY Knicks were one of the NBAs best teams. He's legendary for that alone ... Spike Lee probably wanted to strangle him at center court in MSG.
    No, people just have higher standards of who is great and who isn't. Like I said before, Miller regarded because of shooting and as other have brought up, longevity in which I agree too.

Fact is, Miller isn't great when it discussed as who was the best in the NBA, which I'm pretty sure he never was brought up. He would be barely be regarded as a Top 20 player in the 90's, let alone every other era of basketball. It's hard to call him a legend in anything else outside of what he's best known for.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    He [Miller]would be barely be regarded as a Top 20 player in the 90's, let alone every other era of basketball.
    Barely a top 20 player in the 90s? You a Knicks fan?

Quote Originally Posted by davehos
    Barely a top 20 player in the 90s? You a Knicks fan?

I'm a Raptors fan.

Who would have been clearly ranked over him in the 90's if were talking about 20 players ?

That era had some great players. i don't even know how i would rank Miller in the 90s. Looking strictly at guys who are better than Miller without question.

Jordan/Drexler at the 2
    Magic/Stockton at pg (some other strong candidates at pg)
    Pippen/Bird at the 3
    Malone/Barkley at the 4
    Drob/Hakeem/Zo/Ewing/Shaq at center, extremely stacked at that position

That is 13. Then there are a lot of guys who would generate a lot of debate that i wont even get into. But i wouldn't say it is a given that Miller was top 20 in that era.
    Last edited by tontoz; 03-31-2014 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    No, people just have higher standards of who is great and who isn't. Like I said before, Miller regarded because of shooting and as other have brought up, longevity in which I agree too.

Fact is, Miller isn't great when it discussed as who was the best in the NBA, which I'm pretty sure he never was brought up. He would be barely be regarded as a Top 20 player in the 90's, let alone every other era of basketball. It's hard to call him a legend in anything else outside of what he's best known for.
    As a few people have said you are confusing being "legendary" with also being a great overall player which are two different things.

I agree that he would be barely a top 20 players in the 90s in terms of overall talent/skill but given the same situation few players who played the bulk of their careers in the 90s would have accomplished as much as he has.