Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why Do People Treat Reggie Miller Like He's a Legend?

Because he's one of the clutchest players to ever live? Reggie would look you in the eye while jamming an icepick through your lung.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Game isnt played in the box score
    The box score doesn't even favor Joe. Dude averaged like 3 more mpg and 5 more shots in a season where he only played 57 games to get the same stats as Reggie. Btw, Reggie did it in 82 games in his 3rd season.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

He mighta been the best shooter ever.

But yes, he got more notoriety than what was deserved. "Everyone and their momma" knew who Reggie was by the late 90's. Probably due to the matchups vs the bulls and Knicks . It would not be a stretch to say that without mj and spike lee, Reggie might not have been so popular and so he might have never became a household name and gotten his TNT job so easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cq8OS7lexQ

Not many players that get this type of farewell at the end of their careers. Very respected player plus being born clutch and obv an amazing 3 point shooter.

1. Because he had some really high profile moments against the Knicks

2. Because he's still very much in the public eye.

When Tim Duncan retires in a couple years nobody will talk about him, but Charles Barkley will still be one of the most popular (ex)basketball players in the world despite being an inferior player.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    1. Because he had some really high profile moments against the Knicks

2. Because he's still very much in the public eye.

When Tim Duncan retires in a couple years nobody will talk about him, but Charles Barkley will still be one of the most popular (ex)basketball players in the world despite being an inferior player.

You never saw Charles play, I see.

NBA sixth man of the year

OP really hates the Pacers....All he does is talk negatively about the Pacers in every thread. Aren't you a Hawks fan? I could understand a Heat or Knick fan doing this stuff...Anyway..do a forum search..Reggie has been discussed a million times and I know you've been here long enough to have read those threads so I don't see how this one will change your mind..

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Even if you are just looking at statistics and not taking into account actually watching the guy and all of his big moments, he was a pretty rare kind of player.

A 6-foot-7 shooting guard who averaged 20+ points on 50+% shooting from the field. Putting up that kind of FG% as primarily a jumpshooter is insane. If you just look at his 3PT%, you're not going to be totally blown away. But, his jumper was silky smooth from anywhere on the floor.

His TS% was above 60% in 13 of his 18 seasons.

That's insane consistency. Steve Nash is the only guy in the league who can come close to matching that, and even he hasn't done it 13 times.

Additionally, as you probably could have guessed, no guards in today's NBA are even close to Reggie's efficiency in that respect. Scoring 23 points per game on .650 TS%? No one even close to that. The closest is James Harden at .617.

Never dipping below 50% on his eFG% is also obviously a sign of the kind of consistent, efficient shooter he was.

He was a special player. Anyone who watched him in his prime knows that. The numbers aren't necessary to validate what we saw with our own two eyes, but they're there if you look hard enough.

Whether he's a "legend"? Now we're just getting into semantics. He had numerous legendary performances, I can tell you that.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 03-26-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    He mighta been the best shooter ever.

But yes, he got more notoriety than what was deserved. "Everyone and their momma" knew who Reggie was by the late 90's. Probably due to the matchups vs the bulls and Knicks . It would not be a stretch to say that without mj and spike lee, Reggie might not have been so popular and so he might have never became a household name and gotten his TNT job so easily.
    Well, if there is a player who is mediocre but somehow drops 40 every single time his team plays a nationally televised game, then it makes sense that he would be remembered more than a player who only had good games when nobody was watching.

Same with Reggie (altho he was obviously not mediocre), you go in on two of the biggest teams (doesn't matter if it's Bulls or Knicks... imagine he did it against any teams, just on the biggest stages vs great comp), and people are gonna remember you.

It almost sounds like you're trying to give the Bulls and Knicks credit for being shit on by Reggie on numerous occasions.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    You never saw Charles play, I see.
    Well I know Chuck was a great player and a hall of famer, but so are a lot of guys, even guys from the same era and position like Malone or Ewing, and we don't talk about them much on here. Barkley gets brought up so much because he's the most popular cast member of the most popular NBA show. Hell, he has more ad deals than anybody in the league outside of LeBron.

Reggie is on the A team announcing crew for TNT, so obviously he's more in the spotlight than say, Clyde Drexler, who was a vastly superior player at the same position at the same time.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

One of the most overrated players of all time. James Harden & steph curry are better right now than he was at any point in his career.

Border line all star most years and only made like 4 or 5

I laugh at the thought of him being a legend. Amazing what a few highlights can do for you.

Made that high school varsity squad pmj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Even if you are just looking at statistics and not taking into account actually watching the guy and all of his big moments, he was a pretty rare kind of player.

A 6-foot-7 shooting guard who averaged 20+ points on 50+% shooting from the field. Putting up that kind of FG% as primarily a jumpshooter is insane. If you just look at his 3PT%, you're not going to be totally blown away. But, his jumper was silky smooth from anywhere on the floor.

His TS% was above 60% in 13 of his 18 seasons.

That's insane consistency. Steve Nash is the only guy in the league who can come close to matching that, and even he hasn't done it 13 times.

Additionally, as you probably could have guessed, no guards in today's NBA are even close to Reggie's efficiency in that respect. Scoring 23 points per game on .650 TS%? No one even close to that. The closest is James Harden at .617.

Never dipping below 50% on his eFG% is also obviously a sign of the kind of consistent, efficient shooter he was.

He was a special player. Anyone who watched him in his prime knows that. The numbers aren't necessary to validate what we saw with our own two eyes, but they're there if you look hard enough.

Whether he's a "legend"? Now we're just getting into semantics. He had numerous legendary performances, I can tell you that.
    He still doesn't have many all-nba picks or all stars comparatively either, so it's hard to say people who saw his prime think he's a legend either. I caught the tail end and I never did anyway.

I am your soldier!

He had some incredible moments, incredible playoff moments, he was loyal, and was one of the best shooters ever... He's not an MJ level superstar, but he's deserving of the love he gets.

Reggie is arguably the clutchest player not named Jordan or Bird. He had ice in his veins. He gave Spike Lee 90% of the gray hairs he currently has.

NBA rookie of the year

Because he had some incredibly epic playoff performances, is one of the greatest 3 point shooters ever, etc.