Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Did anyone else here used to be a fan of Frasier?

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Rare as in most people under 30 couldn't care less about it.
    Most people under 30 couldn't care less about any show from 2000 and before.

NBA Legend

OP is the Gil Chesterton of this board.

   

nice show. the high brow / blue-blood characters seemed plausible going by crowds i was sometimes around at operas / theatre / symphonies. but whatever... either way, frasier and niles were damn amusing... as were the simpsons crossover episodes.

so yea, witty and classy... i wouldn't mind seeing more shows that could pull that off outside the BBC. today's shows (outside maybe HBO or whatnot) seem more about extreme idiocy or extreme risk.

I watched every episode. It's quite entertaining with a different kind of humor. Liked it more than Cheers.

Absolutely loved it. Seinfeld, Frasier, and Friends were my favorite adult shows as a kid and Frasier and Friends continued on into my teen years. Frasier to me was the most lol funny of all of them... I always loved the dynamic between the Frasier, Niles, and Martin. I still watch reruns sometimes when they are on.

   

what with all this talk, i decided to watch the 'niles - daphne hooking up' 4-episode arc (S07E23 - S08E02).

so i'm just noticing that another pretty cool about the show was the underlying humanism and therapeutic aspect. i mean, there's not just a 'feel good' aspect about the show, like with many other shows, but subtle emotional and psychological problem-solving. sort of like oprah without all the spectacle and pomp.

and it's not just because those two were shrinks... because that could have been a completely throwaway aspect only used for cheap yucks. no... this show obviously had superb TV writing talent.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    what with all this talk, i decided to watch the 'niles - daphne hooking up' 4-episode arc (S07E23 - S08E02).

so i'm just noticing that another pretty cool about the show was the underlying humanism and therapeutic aspect. i mean, there's not just a 'feel good' aspect about the show, like with many other shows, but subtle emotional and psychological problem-solving. sort of like oprah without all the spectacle and pomp.

and it's not just because those two were shrinks... because that could have been a completely throwaway aspect only used for cheap yucks. no... this show obviously had superb TV writing talent.

It is the most layered and well executed show in the history of shows. It is the kaballah of television, it is not for newbs. The average philistine does not deserve to partake in the enjoyment of Frasier.

   

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    It is the most layered and well executed show in the history of shows. It is the kaballah of television, it is not for newbs. The average philistine does not deserve to partake in the enjoyment of Frasier.
    i would have to rate M*A*S*H as the absolute best series i've ever seen to this point... probably fawlty towers right behind.

no need to make it a competition, but M*A*S*H had wit, soul and pathos that not even frasier was permitted to reach. certainly not because of a lack of material or lack of acting / writing talent. moreso because you can only challenge an audience as much as they're able to take, and the era of the vietnam war and the post-60's was so far the peak of that opportunity in TV history.

anyway, i'm gladly willing to put frasier in the top ten, maybe even top five.

remember that some of the BBC stuff, HBO stuff and american miniseries were absolutely superb, so the competition in the top ten is ridiculously intense.
    Last edited by gigantes; 03-29-2014 at 01:00 AM.

NBA rookie of the year

OP is the Gil Chesterton of this board.
    man I am really in your head

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Absolutely loved it. Seinfeld, Frasier, and Friends were my favorite adult shows as a kid and Frasier and Friends continued on into my teen years. Frasier to me was the most lol funny of all of them... I always loved the dynamic between the Frasier, Niles, and Martin. I still watch reruns sometimes when they are on.
    I liked friends as a kid, but anytime i catch a rerun I realize how bad it is nowadays.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces

Rare as in it's top 10 Nielson ratings and 15-20 million viewers or rare as in its 30+ Emmy wins?
    Maybe its the people I associate with. A co-worker of mine likes the king of queens

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Maybe its the people I associate with. A co-worker of mine likes the king of queens
    They're probably 25 and an idiot.

NBA Legend

i would have to rate M*A*S*H as the absolute best series i've ever seen to this point... probably fawlty towers right behind.

no need to make it a competition, but M*A*S*H had wit, soul and pathos that not even frasier was permitted to reach. certainly not because of a lack of material or lack of acting / writing talent. moreso because you can only challenge an audience as much as they're able to take, and the era of the vietnam war and the post-60's was so far the peak of that opportunity in TV history.

anyway, i'm gladly willing to put frasier in the top ten, maybe even top five.

remember that some of the BBC stuff, HBO stuff and american miniseries were absolutely superb, so the competition in the top ten is ridiculously intense.

I should have specified sitcom since thats really what I meant, and even more specifically relative to its own era. Ive heard a lot of great things about MASH but unfortunately it predates me so I cant really compare them. MASH is Bill Russell and Frasier is MJ, two legends that are difficult to compare across eras. Altho Fraiser would actually be most like Russell in terms of "rings" (awards).

But anyway, I just have a particular sort of bond with the show, it's been more important in my life than you would think a show would be to a person. So I am quick to champion it.

   

I should have specified sitcom since thats really what I meant, and even more specifically relative to its own era. Ive heard a lot of great things about MASH but unfortunately it predates me so I cant really compare them. MASH is Bill Russell and Frasier is MJ, two legends that are difficult to compare across eras. Altho Fraiser would actually be most like Russell in terms of "rings" (awards).

But anyway, I just have a particular sort of bond with the show, it's been more important in my life than you would think a show would be to a person. So I am quick to champion it.
    yeap, understood.

M*A*S*H (and fawlty towers) was actually a bit before my time and initially sort of hard to get in to. btw, it was indeed a sitcom, although of the dramedy variety. they ran a laugh track at the time but in modern releases did remove it, thankfully. it simply doesn't need it.

NBA rookie of the year

Its a great show, I loved how the series could seamlessly transition between silly comedic bits, to heart warming family moments, to realistic/sad moments.

the evolution in relationships was great. Eg. niles and roz, Niles and Martin.

I actually have a huge crush on Jane Leeves (Daphne Moon). I like the humor of this show.