Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Re: Tim Duncan has more 50 Win Seasons than most NBA Franchises

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    In what way can Duncan's career be argued as better than Shaq's? Even Wilt's? Especially Bird's?

He was never as good as those guys were at their best.
    In terms of longevity, Duncan is only second to Kareem. All-NBA first team and All-Defensive 16 years apart with a whole lot in between.

If you're talking career, consistent excellence is just as important as peak IMO, and Timmys peak was pretty damn good too.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by Keno
    wanna know the most interesting thing about this stat? the only non-fifty win season was in a lockout season with only fifty games that year(1998-1999). they were on pace to pass fifty wins that season too. the best and most consistent player of the 2000 decade.
    I think the most interesting part is that the Spurs got 50 wins in the 66 game '12 lockout season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    In what way can Duncan's career be argued as better than Shaq's? Even Wilt's? Especially Bird's?

He was never as good as those guys were at their best.
    You're underrating Duncan's body of work.

Keep it tight for me The-Legend-24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck

Lets remember the dude was a role player for a number of years, and they were still winning 50+.

Quote Originally Posted by Keno
    wanna know the most interesting thing about this stat? the only non-fifty win season was in a lockout season with only fifty games that year(1998-1999). they were on pace to pass fifty wins that season too. the best and most consistent player of the 2000 decade.
    If anything, we should give more credit to the coaching staff & the FO for building Playoff teams year in and year out & winning 50+ games every season since the 99 lockout (including the 66-game season in 2011-2012). Even though Duncan is nowhere near his prime self, the teams still keep winning at the same rate, and currently they're having their best regular season since ever. It's just the brilliance of coaching & team chemistry. There are no superstars on this roster, Parker was the only all-star this year. You have a bunch of role players playing their roles to perfection every single game. It's a joy to watch.

I'm never sold on the Spurs winning it all though because they have a great regular season like every year but they haven't won a title in 7 years. For all the great regular season success Duncan's had, the Spurs have never even made it to the Finals in 2 consecutive seasons. I think they have a great chance finally doing that this season though.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Legend-24

Lets remember the dude was a role player for a number of years, and they were still winning 50+.
    Oh, and how many rings since that time?

You Lakers fans must be so bored

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    You're underrating Duncan's body of work.
    Which is? Having the worst TS% for any FMVP in league history? Missing the easiest layup of his life when it mattered the most & missing the tip-in attempt right there at the rim with no contest? Never making it to the Finals in consecutive years? Never winning back-to-back?

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P

You won the title last season & they made you give it back in 28 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    You won the title last season & they made you give it back in 28 seconds
    Dude, why are you even in this thread? Do you hate Duncan so much for helping LeBron knock Kobe out of the top 10?

Which is? Having the worst TS% for any FMVP in league history? Missing the easiest layup of his life when it mattered the most & missing the tip-in attempt right there at the rim with no contest? Never making it to the Finals in consecutive years? Never winning back-to-back?
    -Winning with teams that only a few others in NBA history could

-Winning titles without other All-Stars (iir only Hakeem, Duncan and Dirk have done that in the past thirty-something years)

-Being the consummate teammate and leader.

If you're seriously asking what Duncan has done to be considered a great, you should be asking that question for almost every player in NBA history.

Jordan
    Magic
    Russell
    Kareem
    Duncan
    Duncan: 0 scoring titles, 0 rebounding titles, 0 FG% titles
    Wilt: 7 scoring titles, 11 rebounding titles, 9 FG% titles

And everyone knows I'm no Wilt fan, but Duncan just was never as dominant as the others.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

What do rings have to do with 50 win seasons? Why should duncan get full credit for winning 50+ wins in years he was averaging 13/9?

They need duncan to play great in the playoffs to win sure.. but to win 50? Spurs could do it without him altogether if they wanted right now.

Banned

By all means, can we get Kobe's Finals stats if we're going down this path? Best to lay it all out there, right?

Dude, why are you even in this thread? Do you hate Duncan so much for helping LeBron knock Kobe out of the top 10?

Kobe is firmly ahead of Duncan bud and I can prove that as I have already many times with the majority's rankings. If anything, Lebron knocked Duncan out the top 10. Lebron is easily more dominant than Duncan was. He has literally like 8 seasons better than Duncan's best if you compare the numbers and he's in year 10

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    By all means, can we get Kobe's Finals stats if we're going down this path? Best to lay it all out there, right?
    Only player since MJ to average 30+ ppg 5+ rpg 7+ apg in a Finals series, you mad?