Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Tim Duncan has more 50 Win Seasons than most NBA Franchises

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Duncan: 0 scoring titles, 0 rebounding titles, 0 FG% titles
    Wilt: 7 scoring titles, 11 rebounding titles, 9 FG% titles

And everyone knows I'm no Wilt fan, but Duncan just was never as dominant as the others.
    Your way of judging players is so arbitrary.

You ever compare Duncan to Kobe and you get the "Boiled down." However, on your all-time list you have Hakeem and Wilt, who each won two titles, ahead of Duncan.

Then when you try to compare, say, Hondo and Kobe, using your boiled down system, you can't, because Hondo never won an MVP. Surely then Kobe's rings before he won an MVP ('08) shouldn't count, because he didn't prove he was the most valuable player in the league up until that point?

And now you're talking about leading the league in statistical categories. Your agenda is so obvious.

Kobe is firmly ahead of Duncan bud and I can prove that as I have already many times with the majority's rankings. If anything, Lebron knocked Duncan out the top 10. Lebron is easily more dominant than Duncan was. He has literally like 8 seasons better than Duncan's best if you compare the numbers and he's in year 10
    Please, Deuce, boil it down for him.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Duncan: 0 scoring titles, 0 rebounding titles, 0 FG% titles
    Wilt: 7 scoring titles, 11 rebounding titles, 9 FG% titles

And everyone knows I'm no Wilt fan, but Duncan just was never as dominant as the others.
    Im not a hater on Wilt or Russell by any means, but the game was so different you can't compare their stats to modern players.

I believe Russell and Wilt would be successful in any era, but trying to compare them to modern players is a fools errand.

Kobe is firmly ahead of Duncan bud and I can prove that as I have already many times with the majority's rankings. If anything, Lebron knocked Duncan out the top 10. Lebron is easily more dominant than Duncan was. He has literally like 8 seasons better than Duncan's best if you compare the numbers and he's in year 10
    Yeah, Duncan totally didn't carry his All-Star-less team to a title in '03. No dominance in that

Again, this is more proof of how arbitrary your way of judging players is. Your whole "Choke rating" relies on how badly a player's production dips from the Regular Season to the Post-season, then to the Finals. Now when we talk about "Dominance!" only the Regular Season applies.

Quote Originally Posted by RichieW
    Im not a hater on Wilt or Russell by any means, but the game was so different you can't compare their stats to modern players.

I believe Russell and Wilt would be successful in any era, but trying to compare them to modern players is a fools errand.
    Bill & Wilt were the most dominant players of their era, just like Magic & Bird dominated theirs, or like MJ & Hakeem dominated theirs, or like Kobe & Shaq dominated their era.

You can't compare the statistics, obviously, because the game is played differently.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Yeah, Duncan totally didn't carry his All-Star-less team to a title in '03. No dominance in that

Again, this is more proof of how arbitrary your way of judging players is. Your whole "Choke rating" relies on how badly a player's production dips from the Regular Season to the Post-season, then to the Finals. Now when we talk about "Dominance!" only the Regular Season applies.
    You're underrating the 2003 Spurs team.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    Again, I'll post the numbers and you won't reply, as you always have.

3% of the GMs predicted them to win it all, and Duncan had to work with David Robinson's carcass, sophomore Tony Parker, rookie Manu Ginobili, and Stephen Jackson.

Only Duncan and Hakeem could exhibit the dominance needed on both ends of the floor to win with that team. You'd know that if you watched that run

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Its not that the help wasnt that good, its more the competition.

Only one team in the past 40 or so years has made 4 finals in a row.. and the Lakers were coming off 3 straight already. The spurs had HCA and won 60 games to LA's 50... And then they played an injured Mavs team and a Nets team that was no more stacked than themselves.

Its like when Dallas beat LA in 2011. The team was burnt out.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    What do rings have to do with 50 win seasons? Why should duncan get full credit for winning 50+ wins in years he was averaging 13/9?

They need duncan to play great in the playoffs to win sure.. but to win 50? Spurs could do it without him altogether if they wanted right now.
    I definitely agree with you. I'm not saying Duncan deserves more credit than Pop or the staff for what they've been able to do in the Regular Season the past 7 years.

However, like DMAVS once said, the "System" doesn't translate so well into the post-season, which you alluded to in your post.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Bill & Wilt were the most dominant players of their era, just like Magic & Bird dominated theirs, or like MJ & Hakeem dominated theirs, or like Kobe & Shaq dominated their era.

You can't compare the statistics, obviously, because the game is played differently.
    You're gonna think I'm trolling you but I'm not when I tell you Kobe never had his own 'era'.

There as Wilt/Russell, then Magic/Bird, then MJ, then Shaq/Duncan, and now possibly Lebron but we'll see.

I fel Kobe had an 'inbetween' era like the Bad Boy Pistons and Hakeems Rockets. I mean you can include Kobe in with Shaq/Duncan but it's quite clear that peak Shaq was the driving force for those titles, a lot of guards could have 3-peated with Shaq

Please, Deuce, boil it down for him.
    Kobe: 5
    Duncan: 4

Again, I'll post the numbers and you won't reply, as you always have.

3% of the GMs predicted them to win it all, and Duncan had to work with David Robinson's carcass, sophomore Tony Parker, rookie Manu Ginobili, and Stephen Jackson.

Only Duncan and Hakeem could exhibit the dominance needed on both ends of the floor to win with that team. You'd know that if you watched that run
    Who cares about GMs? Is that your only argument? Spurs were the #1 seed & faced a tired Lakers squad in midst of turmoil, an injured Mavs team & a shitty Nets team that Shaq & Kobe had career games against in the 2002 Finals. The competition was hardly that great for SA when you consider they had HCA throughout the Playoffs & faced teams that weren't that great to begin with.

Spurs were no underdogs that year, they were tied for the best record in the league while the Lakers were a 5th seed & could barely crack 50 wins that season. The overall talent on that team might have not been THAT great, but they had the legs & the chemistry for it while other teams didn't. Duncan had his best season no doubt, but let's not act like he went up against some of the greatest teams ever.

I definitely agree with you. I'm not saying Duncan deserves more credit than Pop or the staff for what they've been able to do in the Regular Season the past 7 years.

However, like DMAVS once said, the "System" doesn't translate so well into the post-season, which you alluded to in your post.
    A lot of guards could have 3peated with Shaq, that's why Shaq won a multitude of rings his first 7 years before Kobe was 21.

Btw, mind posting Shaq and Kobe's stats vs the spurs in the playoffs, mainly 2001 and 2002 since they won titles those years.

Quote Originally Posted by RichieW
    You're gonna think I'm trolling you but I'm not when I tell you Kobe never had his own 'era'.

There as Wilt/Russell, then Magic/Bird, then MJ, then Shaq/Duncan, and now possibly Lebron but we'll see.

I fel Kobe had an 'inbetween' era like the Bad Boy Pistons and Hakeems Rockets. I mean you can include Kobe in with Shaq/Duncan but it's quite clear that peak Shaq was the driving force for those titles, a lot of guards could have 3-peated with Shaq
    Lakers would be outed in the WCF without Kobe in 2000, they would lose Game 4 of the Finals in OT with Shaq fouled out if it weren't for Kobe, they'd lose to the Kings in 2002 without Kobe.

Are you kidding me? How many guards could actually do what Kobe did during the three-peat? 2000 WCF Game 7, Kobe leads Lakers in 4 catergories (Scoring, rebounds, assists, blocks) to bring the team back from a double digit deficit in the 4th quarter with his key plays (the most notable play of the Playoffs that year was Kobe crossing Scottie & lobbing it to Shaq to seal the series.)

2001 Playoff run, Kobe was the best player on the team for 3 out of the 4 series, had b2b 45+ point 10+ reb 3+ast games, had the same WS/48 as Shaq, was a better road performer than Shaq in the Playoffs, locked down the opposing perimeter players. 2002 Finals one of the most dominant series by any wing player (27 6 5 on 51/55/81 shooting). You are kidding me if "most" wing players would 3-peat with Shaq.
    Last edited by ImKobe; 04-03-2014 at 03:01 AM.

Great college starter

Duncan was never a stat whore. He did what it took to win. His level of play usually elevated in gut check games. Shaq/Duncan are the GOAT.