Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Default Re: Any player who stays in college is a retard

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    Tim Duncan was a retard?

I'm hoping Embiid stays for 3 years at least and works on a post game. I've been dying for a legitimate big man prospect to come into the league for a long time now.

These raw ass big men get to the league and the coaches/training staff don't have the patience to develop them into post players. They work on an elbow jumper, a baseline shot, FT's, and other shit, but not shit that will help them DOMINATE the game like big men of our past
    Why shouldn't Embiid develop his post game in the NBA instead of college? You think he will develop a better post game playing 30 games a year instead of 82 games, having a limit on how much he can practice vs unlimited practice, and playing grossly inferior competition vs superior NBA competition? Not to mention he would piss away 2 years of NBA salary that he will never get back.

National High School Star beastee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Myth #1 isn't entirely false. If you go to a program with a good coach who doesn't mind putting winning on the back burner to develop future star players.

Unfortunately not many coaches are willing to do that today.
    I can't think of ONE coach who does this. And if anyone thinks it's Coach K, they are delusional. College coaches care about two things...Winning so they can get more money. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by beastee
    I can't think of ONE coach who does this. And if anyone thinks it's Coach K, they are delusional. College coaches care about two things...Winning so they can get more money. Period.
    Well if you have great talent, winning comes naturally even if it's not the primary goal. They're not mutually exclusive.

Dean Smith? Not sure about coaches today. Some guys don't let their kids play zone (Coach Cal), which is definitely a developmental move.

Calipari, he's probably the best at getting players ready for the NBA.

National High School Star beastee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    Yeah, probably accurate, since he embraces getting them ready for the pro game and encourages them to be 1 and done. And he still gets that money...

Dont know if makes them retarded but it is definitely a decision I have a hard time understanding. Maybe they just arent mentally ready for the nba lifestyle

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    he also gives them money and have students fake SAT test for the players

Yeah, probably accurate, since he embraces getting them ready for the pro game and encourages them to be 1 and done. And he still gets that money...
    I coach sort of the same philosophy. Win through developing talent, you have to take some hits from people complaining every year that the team doesn't play as good as they potentially could. It's alright, as long as the players are moving forward individually, because going to the next level they will be judged by their individual talent and potential.

There's is a bunch of stuff through different player ages that you can chose to do or not to do in terms of winning vs developing potential. You have to find a balance though, because if your players feel they're losing because of your system it can hurt their motivation.
    Cal doesn't really do zone because they hardly ever play it in the NBA, even though his team has great potential in a zone he realizes it's not what they'll be doing a year from now. It hurts in the win collumn because not doing zone yourself makes it much harder to prepare for others who do.
    Same thing with full court zone press for 14-16 year olds, it'll work most of the time because players simply don't have the combination of vision and strength needed to make the passes that take advantage of it. At that age it's much better laying the ground work for great man to man defense individually.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.big35
    he also gives them money and have students fake SAT test for the players
    They do that everywhere, players at UNC can hardly read.. That's the college game, have been for a long time.

Some players also take two up two scholarships at the colleges when they take their girlfriend with them.

Any plaer who's basically guaranteed to be picked in a draft is beyond mentally challenged,naive,delusional for staying more than a year.

What,more college develops the players as opposed to being in the NBA and strictly working on basketball with te absolute best at it and best trainers against superior competition.

College dont develop squat,some players learn,others clearly do not but in the NbA youre only focused on basketball working with the best trainers who know everything about your game and what you should work on

You think Kobe,LeBron,Garnett would have done better going to college instead of learning their game and playing against the best competition

Kobe got to go up against the Best Guards,most complex defenses,work with best trainers and adapt and evolve and better his game

In college,there is no Hakeem,Ewing,McHale,Kareem,Rodman to teach post game

There is no KD,LJ,PG,CA,RG to go up against and better your game

Its like a high schooler beating middle schoolrs,
    what exactly are you going to learn going up against inferior competition

Its like Learning to swim in a kiddle pool,going to a 4-6 ft pool and beating everybody and then you get dropped in the ocean

Delaying your career for what?
    Thats basically throwing away millions of dollars--something which 99% of the population doesnt earn in a lifetime and what exactly are you studying those extra 3 years bc its not much with how much time your athletic game is,
    What a bachelors in psychology,general studies?

If a team drafts you and you dont perform to their level,thats their fault for not knowing your strengths,weaknesses and even then you could get sent to d league,would be working with best trainers,would develop faster,better,know more

Tony Parker came in the league a horrible shooter,now one of the best inside finishers and 2nd best guard at the rim
    LeBron had no range and used his athleticism to overpower people,
    now he has good range,solid post game
    Dwyane Wade wasnt as good without the ball and good finisher now
    one of the best off ball,post inside game players

These college players arent going to get better playing against inferior players all the while having to focus on something else as well,and not getting to play their strengths or work with best trainers

Itll be like the Heat constantly going up against the Bucks,76ers,Pistons,Knicks
    and then dominating them-its like what do I need to work on
    but if say the Heat went up against the
    Mavs,Spurs,Thunder,Bulls theyd up their game and see their weaknesses and adapt,evolve,learn

Inferior comp doesnt make anyone better,superior or equal to makes them work harder,makes them evolve,adapt

Hell,look at Beasley,Perkins,Derrick Williams
    Dominated in HS and College,then in NBA they cant handle it

3 Years of Tim Duncan in NBA wouldve helped Duncan
    Every Day hed be up against the Shaqs,Ewings,Mourning,Hakeem,Barkley,Mutombo
    and hed be trained with some of the most talented big men in History
    3 more years in NbA and Duncan is Better Now than if he was in college for 3 years

Some players learn in college,others dont but comp,quality is miles different from nba to college
    Its like the ocean vs olympic sized pools
    Last edited by Flash31; 04-03-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidz
    Myth #1: You develop your game more with that extra year.

Reality: Where do you think you're going to learn more about being an NBA player? Practicing/playing against NBA players every day or holding the ball for 35 seconds before shooting a 3-pointer from the free throw line while being defended by a 6'3 white power forward in the NCAA?

Myth #2: You mature as a man.

Reality: Being in college doesn't somehow make you more mature. Travelling the country with grown men with real experience is more beneficial. If you're a childish jackarse that's not going to change - just like if you're mature it's not going to change.

Myth #3: Winning in college means something.

Reality: No, it doesn't.

Myth #4: You might get picked higher next year.

Reality: So what? You just missed out on 5 mill so you can go top 5 instead of top 10. Big deal.

Myth #5: You can study.

Reality: Ever head of distance ed? Ever heard of part time. Shit, college is 12 hours a week at best. Let's not kid ourselves.

Reality BONUS ROUND: Just watch what happened to Kevin Ware. Now look at Andrew "No Knees" Bynum. Went straight from school and guaranteed millions. If you opt-in I hope you break your spine because you deserve it for stupidity.
    It's a case by case thing, brothar. IF someone feels they are benefiting from the college experience and wants to stay another year, then GG to them.

Personally, I didn't go to college for very long. If I had found an institution that could have offered me what I wanted, I would have probably stayed.

Ya see what I mean? I am not advocating college, per se. I'm just saying that you have to trust a person when it comes to their own life. Certain things go beyond education and to say these dudes, who have millions sitting and waiting for them, don't understand the trade off, and are incapable of making that decision... is pretty wack of you.

Might even go as far as to say U JELLY.

-Smak

Double post: Not to mention there's no way someone can absorb a coaches basketball knowledge in one year. Dudes in the NBA take a year to learn the triangle offense. And that's 82 games.

I dunno why people can't see that the brand of basketball we have in the NBA right now is related to dudes having no understanding of the game. They never got good coaching and in a way college might be their only chance at that. So, if they find the right coach, they should stay there. They def aren't gonna get good coaching on some 9 and 72 team.

It's gotta be devastating to lose like that after thinking you are a great player.

-Smak

National Championships are a big deal and I'm sure coach K has been in Jabari's ear like "You know we got 3 new 5 star recruits en route". I can see staying another year if you're going to be the favorite for a championship probably

The advantage of getting an education is that if your NBA career doesn't pan out, you can do something better than flipping burgers or delivering newspapers

Learning to shoot layups

i'm a father, and have two university degrees.
    I'd have a hard time telling my son to forego a top 10 draft position into the NBA to go back to school for a year if his goal was just to make it into the NBA. I'd teach my son the value of financial planning and how his rookie contract could last him a lifetime - then tell him take that money. All the reasons from the OP are all reasonable to me. Staying for a 'chance' to win an NCAA championship is just dumb to me.

If my son wants to finish an education - cool. But then i want him to get his degree, not declare after his sophomore year.

Only other reason i could think of staying if MAYBE improving your draft position - MAYBE. If he were projected outside of the lottery or the 2nd round, i'd definitely want him think about staying and getting his degree and maybe, just maybe, work on his game to maybe move up.

I'm not sure that i admire these potential lottery picks for staying an extra year or two in college. I definitely admire those that stay four years and get their degrees.

FORTUNATELY, i won't have this problem - my son just does not have the genes...