Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: What is happening with Harrison Barnes?

Also, this wasn't really a bump to laugh at the OP or anything...it's just to show what the coaching change has done for him. He was in the wrong role last year.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Also, this wasn't really a bump to laugh at the OP or anything...it's just to show what the coaching change has done for him. He was in the wrong role last year.
    I remember watching the Warriors offense last year and facepalming at times.

Jackson was trying to get Barnes to become a post up player off the bench...

I'm basically using this as the official Harrison Barnes thread now.

20/26 for 47 points in his last two games.

8th best 3 pt shooter in the league this season in terms of % (although he doesn't take a ton of 3's). Good defender too, and can play both the 3 and 4 effectively. Great turnaround for him.

did he get fat again ?

looks like kobe

Decent playground baller John Tesh's Avatar

With the exception of this thread, Barnes seems to be the least talked about Warrior.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

He has a small role on the team. He is a good shooter but isn't needed to shoot much. He is athletic and a solid defender and rebounder. He has shown flashes of greatness at times when it comes to creating for himself but it is not consistent. He has had numerous progressions and regressions. He is liable to disappear for stretches on offense. It's hard to tell if his smaller role offensively is maximizing his talents or holding back his development. I feel it's the former.

Barnes will blow up on the next team he goes to

College star

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    Waiting for Dion Waiters to be mentioned here

I'm almost certain it has to do with the insertion of Iggy. He's a better defender and facilitator, which means he takes a whole lot of Barnes minutes in the clutch.

I think we can all agree that consistent minutes are critical to a young player's development.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I'll admit that I've never been bullish when it came to Harrison Barnes and what I felt was unwarranted hype. He was pretty much what I thought he'd be in his rookie regular season -- a solid, albeit somewhat average, starting SF. Then, he had that tremendous run in the playoffs which pleasantly surprised me. I never thought he'd be able to reproduce that over a full season, but he did show some nice skills in that 7-8 game run.

Then came this season... he started out OK in his new backup role, pretty much producing at the same rate he did in his rookie year for the first couple months of the season. That's what I always thought he'd be in the NBA. A solid starter on a pretty good team or a backup on a really good team. That's why I didn't want him with a Top 5 pick, but that doesn't mean I think a guy has no game.

I'm under the impression Barnes has some game, however...

Over the last four months or so, he has been just awful. How bad?

In the 51 games since Dec. 15, he's putting up a meager 7.3 points per game on 33.3% shooting and 32.5% from three, to go along with 3.7 rebounds. That's not exactly a small sample size... it's 2/3 of the season.

It gets worse... As this season has progressed, his play and production have gone further down the drain. In the last 14 games, he's averaging 5.3 points on 26.6% shooting and an almost unfathomable 13% from three. He scored in double-figures for the first time in three weeks last night, but it was just 11 points on 3-12 shooting in 35+ minutes.

Is this an issue with the team or Barnes? I'm assuming it has to be some kind of nasty combination. Does he still have a future there? How do GSW fans feel about his future on the team?

I'm genuinely curious, because these numbers don't make a ton of sense to me.
    It's pretty obvious Mark Jackson hurt his development by benching him in favor of Iggy, Barnes was not comfortable coming off the bench. Once Steve Kerr stepped in, he went with Barnes as the starting SF with Iggy as the 6th man and Barnes has looked solid ever since.

This season Barnes looks better than ever thanks to his improved mid-range shot, his jump shot this year has looked terrific, shoots around 50% from mid-range.

I could easily see him being a 16 ppg scorer on nice efficiency on another team.
    Last edited by 1987_Lakers; 01-21-2016 at 01:52 AM.

Very good NBA starter

He and MArvin Williams are the same type of player.

Athletic and long
    shotty shot
    decent 3 point shooters
    no handles
    can play defense on multiple positions but great defensively.

Quintessential 3 and D player on a lower level.

Decent playground baller Coach Eddie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    He and MArvin Williams are the same type of player.

Athletic and long
    shotty shot
    decent 3 point shooters
    no handles
    can play defense on multiple positions but great defensively.

Quintessential 3 and D player on a lower level.
    That is a pretty decent comparison.