Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Zelda 1 for the NES

I never really got into this game until recently when I bought it on the Wii U. The combat is really fun and I was enjoying the exploration, but damn does this game have some obscure puzzles. It's not worse than a lot of other NES games, but I have no idea how people completed this without the internet. I walked all around the world doing everything I possibly could to find castle 7. Finally gave in and looked at the internet. No idea how I was supposed to figure out to use the flute to drain that pond. lol. Sick game though

Default Re: Zelda 1 for the NES

i wasn't really into zelda, but Nintendo had their own magazine back in the day. Pretty sure they had maps, etc in them.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

That's when I was in my prime video game playing days. I can remember having to call friends up to get info... I didn't know you could push squares to the side until a buddy told me.

There was also Nintendo Power...a magazine that have you secrets.

I feel bad for kids today that can just look at everything on YouTube... That can't be nearly as fulfilling.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    That's when I was in my prime video game playing days. I can remember having to call friends up to get info
    I remember those days. The problem was some people would make up lies so you'd waste time trying their bullshit.

You had to have or know somebody who had Nintendo Power to get through games like Zelda, Wizards and Warriors, Dragon Warrior, etc.

Magazines and word of mouth. Made talking about games at school with friends a lot more fun though.

I still know the code to get 99 men in Contra

I probably spent a full year of my life trying to beat Mike Tyson....never did it

Getting to Tyson became easy, beating him was another story.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

extremely innovative game, extremely difficult IMO. I could only get by two or three dungeons as a kid. Never beat the game myself.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

One of my 3 or 4 favorite games of all time. I'd call it my favorite on a lot of days.

The original NES is the only Nintendo I owned. I went Genesis to Playstation after that. And like a lot of people my age, my fondness of the original NES is greater than the others, which coincidentally seems to coincide with my hitting puberty, only to have my gaming interest pick back up in college mostly for group games, and then I kept playing as an adult.

So my favorites list is a weird chunk of super old Nintendo games, then doesn't really pick back up until somewhere around Resident Evil. And then ramps back up again around PS3. But it skips all the Nintendo stuff past the first gen, but includes this and Metroid.

I remember playing this as a kid. I had a friend who's parents had set up their basement as a playroom with this crappy old TV. When you opened the back door to get in the glare would like wipe out the TV for a stretch. And there'd be this panic to pause it. We had a glitch or two with saves that at one point had us pausing the game for a night at a time so we wouldn't lose our spot.

I don't remember really cheating to beat it. It didn't take long to figure out the bombing and burning, and once we did it felt like we bombed and burnt every reasonable possibility we could find. The forest puzzles were trickier. One you had to go right five times. The other was up left down left. There was always one direction where you'd get spit back out, so it always felt like there were only so many ways one could try. But I say that not knowing if one of us got that info from some other source or not.

My only real memory of cheating at a game prior to the advent of the internet (which I do now more often than I care to admit, but still not a ton), was the original Resident Evil. I believe I was in HS, and a friend and I had rented it repeatedly from blockbuster. He'd come to my house and we'd play every night. I remember we got to a point where we had no ammo left, and had wiped the mansion clean, but couldn't figure out where to go. There was one crazy jumping green guy we couldn't kill, and we figured our answer had to be behind him, and we'd take turns trying to manuever past him to unlock a door. Finally we got by it and it just took us to the other side of a place we'd already been.

We sifted through our inventory repeatedly. We had a few miscellaneous items. The two we had were books, one red and one blue, with a symbol on each. We found matching symbols on the fountain outside, but couldnt' figure it out. We wound up calling a 1-900 number hint line, that ... very slowly ... told us to view the books from the page sides, and hit the action button. They opened up to reveal round symbols, which went into the fountain, and opened it up to reveal the lab. It blew our minds.

The internet really wiped out the entire 1-900 industry.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I also would recall the original Metroid as being harder to figure out than that first Zelda. I don't remember it as well, but I know some of the false walls, and especially the false cieling thing, seeming like they were all but impossible to have figured out on my own.

Never played this game but I played the Snes game and remember it was hard. I beat the game without any guides too, but Indidnt completed it 100% though as I never got all the heart containers. But I did save zelda though. i remember that b1tch was all over my c0ck.

Yep Metroid and Kid Icarus were both awesome and both very difficult.

And I forgot about the Nintendo Hot Line I used that several times

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    Yep Metroid and Kid Icarus were both awesome and both very difficult.

And I forgot about the Nintendo Hot Line I used that several times

please elaborate and tell us what that was like. I never knew anybody that called the hotline.

Do they just straight up tell you the secrets?

I called the hotline a few times. They would tell you what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    please elaborate and tell us what that was like. I never knew anybody that called the hotline.

Do they just straight up tell you the secrets?
    You would call the Nintendo Hot Line and tell them what game you are playing and what part you are stuck at, and they would talk you through it

I can't remember if there was a fee or not, but there probably was, I am thinking each call was $1.99 or something.