Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default "Dirk's got a lot of moves I'm trying to steal." - Kevin Durant

ESPN - Kevin Durant's secret weapon: Dirk Nowitzki

It hasn't been discussed much, because Durant doesn't often reveal much beyond what we can all see out on the floor, but he recently confessed that he's been swiping liberally all season from the Dirk Nowitzki playbook.

Turns out that, since November, Durant has been working with Adam Harrington as his personal trainer beyond his daily duties with the Oklahoma City Thunder. Which is the same Adam Harrington who briefly played alongside Nowitzki with the Dallas Mavericks more than a decade ago and has been studying the unorthodox coaching techniques hatched by Nowitzki's longtime mentor and shot doctor from back home, Holger Geschwindner, ever since.

"It's a lot more than just trying to copy the one-legger," Durant said, explaining that he's not merely focused on trying to mimic Nowitzki's signature shot.

"Dirk's got a lot of moves I'm trying to steal."

Practice shots with both hands, off both feet and launched from a variety of stances and spins to improve footwork. Planting the heels and shifting smoothly onto the toes for better balance. Breathing techniques as the ball is released. Keeping the fingers wide, too.

Durant has been dabbling in all those Holger-endorsed areas of emphasis in his hourly sessions with Harrington, which typically take place in the evenings -- home or road -- whether it's a practice day or after the Thunder fly into a new city on the night before a game.

That's how Nowitzki and Steve Nash did it almost from the moment they became teammates in Dallas more than 15 years ago, whether or not Geschwindner was in town to run them through the unorthodox drills he exclusively conceived as a former captain of the West German Olympic team who also happened to be obsessed with physics.

In the early days of the Nowitzki/Nash partnership, then-Mavericks coach Don Nelson hired former NBA All-Star Kiki Vandeweghe to be the daily (and nightly) skills companion for Dallas' pick-and-pop duo, since Geschwindner could make only a handful of in-season trips to oversee the sessions himself. Vandeweghe had moved on to a front-office position with the Denver Nuggets by the time Harrington arrived in Dallas for the 2002-03 season, but the routine, by then, was well-established.

That 2002-03 campaign, furthermore, was the extent of Harrington's NBA career, but a summer camp and subsequent stint in the German Bundesliga four years later in Geschwindner's hometown of Bamberg gave him the chance to learn the curriculum further. And when Harrington was introduced to the three-time MVP runner-up early in the season by a mutual friend, Durant perked up once he learned about the ties to Nowitzki.

Dirk, you see, is Durant's favorite player.

"It's probably a tie between him and Kobe," Durant said after giving it some extra thought.
    Last edited by JohnMax; 04-13-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Default Re: "Dirk's got a lot of moves I'm trying to steal." - Kevin Durant

Durant is a smart man

I saw Kelly Olynyk bust out Dirk's patented one-legged , turnaround, stepback jumper against the Cavs last night and I'm like "Of course...why wouldn't you master that shot? Not defendable at his size."

Anyone who wants to develop their offensive game would be foolish not to study and/or outright steal from Dirk.

Very smart of him. As he said, it's not just the one-legger. He actually has an entire repertoire of unorthodox yet brutally effective moves + works with some of the best drills there are. There's an awful lot to steal from him if you're as long and skilled as Durant is.

Hol' up. I thought KD was tryin to learn from Bran?

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Very smart of him. As he said, it's not just the one-legger. He actually has an entire repertoire of unorthodox yet brutally effective moves + works with some of the best drills there are. There's an awful lot to steal from him if you're as long and skilled as Durant is.
    Dirk's footwork gets severely underrated. It's not just some 7ft dude shooting fadeaways over smaller guys. He has way more moves than many people realize.

13/14 highlights
    Moves like at 0:40, 0:55 or 1:45 are just ridiculous for a big man. Durant is already more skilled than Dirk ever was, so if he's able to get to the level of patience and timing Dirk has in the high post, he could be even more lethal. I can see him develop a deadly post game in the next couple years.
    Last edited by dr.hee; 04-13-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.hee
    Dirk's footwork gets severely underrated. It's not just some 7ft dude shooting fadeaways over smaller guys. He has way more moves than many people realize.

13/14 highlights
    Moves like at 0:40, 0:55 or 1:45 are just ridiculous for a big man. Durant is already more skilled than Dirk ever was, so if he's able to get to the level of patience and timing Dirk has in the high post, he could be even more lethal. I can see him develop a deadly post game in the next couple years.
    Debatable. Better player/scorer for sure, but skill-wise, I think KD still has a lot to add to his offensive arsenal, which is why he's studying Dirk.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Dirk is dat n*gga

shameless thief

Very good NBA starter

From one tall jump shooter to another (didn't realize Durant is taking a career high 6 three's a game). Hopefully for Durant's sake he manages to win in his MVP year and not receive the award while getting ousted in the first round. But yeah, ff there's any version of Dirk to learn from, it's def the one from the past few years. Back-to-the-basket game is better, tougher, more experienced, etc.

Durant is better than Dirk.

2012 I rep flatulence Cowboy Thunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Durant is better than Dirk.
    Let KD get a ring or two first

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    If he did, he would end up taking steroids and clean blood.

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    I think he already knows how to do a lay up