Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Why do people use the fact that WWE is fake to denigrate it?

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    sounds like you're unaware how many of these guys die young.
    If I slit my throat, I'll die young, but that doesn't make throat slitting a sport. I wasn't putting the wrestlers down. I've always loved pro wrestling and I have great respect for the risks and pain/ injuries these guys endure (most of them die from being drug addicts though to be fair). Pro wrestling is simply not a sport though. It's theatre.

If there was an arm wrestling contest, and the result was determined beforehand, plus the people watching knew it was not a legit match, would we call that a sport?

If you go check out a forum dedicated to pro wrestling, you won't find any fans calling it a sport. Wrestling fans don't have a problem accepting it is a male soap opera.
    Last edited by 16X; 04-19-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverHeat
    Was just about to say this. In what world is Spiderman more realistic than wrestling?
    Uhm bc its NOT FAAAAKE

Its Real you see.Movies and tv shows are more real than wrestling yep

Bc being scripted and fake like a movie is the same thing.

For ex--if you went to say a game of thrones,walking dead,breaking bad convo
    and instead of discussing what happens in the show you go up to people and go
    Walter Whites not real,Its FAAKE

Its all mostly a media created hate.
    At one point the media believed wrestling was real and the promotions,wrestlers themselves put on the act of This is ALL REALLY Real and happening.
    People kept their alignments and charcaters out in public until the WWe decided to tell the world we are a show and scripted and the media then turned its back on it and its been straight ridicule and insult and hate toward it ever since.

Professional Wrestling made tvs popular in the early days
    you had star athletes in other professions ripping off peoples charcters and traits and using them like
    Ali/Gorgeous George,You had Ali vs Inoki fill up a 100,000 seats
    Pop Culture was all over WWE with Lauper,Trump,Mr T,Tyson,Ali,The freakin President Reagan.
    It was covered in newspapers.
    You had the WWEs techniques being used in Boxing,NFL,Media.

A lot of people became angry when they found out it was a show.A lot grew more resentment towards wrestling through that and media coverage nowadays.
    A lot hate it bc its not an actual sport.A lot hate it bc it was a huge part of their childhood and changed or isnt the big thing in pop culture nowadays.

Oh I used to watch it when I was 12.I used to watch it until I found out it was FAKE.I used to watch it when Bruno,Backlund,Hogan,Andre were big.I loed Austin,Rock and on an on.

   

it's not exactly rocket science, is it?

kayfabe and predetermined results surely arose as a means to please crowds and make more revenue. then at a certain point, the industry must have realised that the public had an insatiable appetite for wrestling spectacle and farce.

that formula's been the same for, what... the 60's or something?

Banned

i wasn't making a blanket statement about every possible movie, brokowski. obviously some TV shows and movies can be gonzo like pro wrestling... for better or worse.

at the same time, even in superhero movies, there's still a 'what if' chain of logic involved. if you can't see that for yourself, well...
    wow sounds just like pro wrestling

it's not exactly rocket science, is it?

kayfabe and predetermined results surely arose as a means to please crowds and make more revenue. then at a certain point, the industry must have realised that the public had an insatiable appetite for wrestling spectacle and farce.

that formula's been the same for, what... the 60's or something?

Well contrary to belief

Wrestling wasnt always scripted

It was legit before the 60s.

People like Gotche were revered athletes in the 20s to 40s

Only thing is in order to make it entertaining or please the crowd they started to change thing up,add characters,story

Contests used to last hours upon hours
    Then they started to shorten it up move away from
    olympic wrestling and be pro

They add characters and story to people
    They imposed time limits
    They had predetermined winners bc they found out what makes the most money

A legit contest where the winner is not who the people wanted and you may not get a good show filled with dull personalities or
    a winner you like,with a good contest,and filled with people you either want to win,root for,support or people you despise,want to see beat,jeer

Ali took Gorgeous Georges traits and ised them in Boxing and a lot of people paid to see him lose.Floyd copied tht into a huge success nowadays.

People dont want to watch two dull competitors have a match thats boring anc either long or too short like UFC fights and Boxing dnd up at times

People love a STORY
    People love a hero-villain matchup,Its worked for hundreds,thousands of years.

And with the advent of tv.Wrestling took a major plunge in characters and what they are now.
    They found out what worked for tv and what drew people in.
    style,substance,story,characters and ran with it and became the global sports entertainment empire they are today

   

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    wow sounds just like pro wrestling
    you're right. they must have a fantastic R&D dept to make it all so logically plausible. what a job fooling all those 13-yr olds, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash31
    Well contrary to belief

Wrestling wasnt always scripted

It was legit before the 60s.

People like Gotche were revered athletes in the 20s to 40s

Only thing is in order to make it entertaining or please the crowd they started to change thing up,add characters,story

Contests used to last hours upon hours
    Then they started to shorten it up move away from
    olympic wrestling and be pro

They add characters and story to people
    They imposed time limits
    They had predetermined winners bc they found out what makes the most money

A legit contest where the winner is not who the people wanted and you may not get a good show filled with dull personalities or
    a winner you like,with a good contest,and filled with people you either want to win,root for,support or people you despise,want to see beat,jeer

Ali took Gorgeous Georges traits and ised them in Boxing and a lot of people paid to see him lose.Floyd copied tht into a huge success nowadays.

People dont want to watch two dull competitors have a match thats boring anc either long or too short like UFC fights and Boxing dnd up at times

People love a STORY
    People love a hero-villain matchup,Its worked for hundreds,thousands of years.

And with the advent of tv.Wrestling took a major plunge in characters and what they are now.
    They found out what worked for tv and what drew people in.
    style,substance,story,characters and ran with it and became the global sports entertainment empire they are today
    yes... that's why i said "arose."

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverHeat
    If someone comes to me and says Breaking Bad is awesome, and I say it sucks, and when I'm asked why I respond with "cause its fake", people would look at me like Im retarded.
    I've actually heard quite a few people make that argument when it comes to TV and movies.

I work with a guy right now who refuses to watch or read anything but documentaries and biographies b/c "fake stuff is a waste of time."

i'll give you this-- i hadn't realised until a few years back how hard the sport is on the wrestlers. it's almost as devastating as american football, which is really saying something.

I'd say it's worse since they are all technically contract workers and get dick for health care from WWE compared to what NFL players get (and even they don't get enough IMO).

   

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    I'd say it's worse since they are all technically contract workers and get dick for health care from WWE compared to what NFL players get (and even they don't get enough IMO).
    yea, an article about the guy who just died mentioned some stuff i'd read before-- that the tour is a rough grind, and many get hooked on painkillers as a part of needing to perform when injured.

it said that a full third of the 30+ wrestlers from wrestlemania VI in 1990 (ultimate warrior vs hulk hogan) have now died young... most probably with very little to pass on, financially.

Comparing wrestling to television shows.

If viewers of Breaking Bad sat in front of their screens cheering on Walt and holding up signs they made and acting like what they're seeing is real and actually unfolding in front of them, I would laugh at them too. Film and television is art. Wrestling isn't. Wrestling is stuck in limbo between sports and entertainment and ultimately fails to have the good qualities of either, except to the most mentally diminished and white trash.

I can tolerate WWE in small doses. They have some talented/entertaining dudes.

I like the Triple H's and Brock Lesnars and not the CM Punks or Daniel Bryans....

Orton and Batista are nice, but I remember Orton being a lot more entertaining in his Legend Killer days.

Triple H and Bray Wyatt are the strong points right now for me. Too much John Cena or Daniel Bryan and I'm done for the night.

lol @ The Shield. That shit is lame.

I can understand why they still milk this John Cena thing though. There would be a huge drop off without him.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill

Those are legos.... still think wrestling is fake?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raymone
    If viewers of Breaking Bad sat in front of their screens cheering on Walt and holding up signs
    Why you a basketball fan for doe? Basketball fans so embarassing and gay doe.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Pro wrestling when done right is the most entertaining thing on television IMO

And it's not fake, winners and losers are pre determined, scripted doesn't equal fake.

The punishment these guys take shouldn't be belittled by calling it "fake"

Basketball is real though 16x.

He said it's silly for people to be that engaged into scripted events.

Fans in basketball actually have potential to effect the outcome, WWE fans don't.

They're going crazy over something predetermined.