Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: If Religion had really easy rules...

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    That, and also it is far easier to follow the herd and accept the doctrine of your native religion then to discern what is 'good' and what is 'evil' yourself, and thus to hang your own will over yourself as a law - to be your own judge so to speak.

This actually takes courage, so most people simply accept conventional morality as if it is some kind of eternal truth.
    At the moment its actually the opposite. It takes courage to be religious nowadays, especially in places full of atheists who will insult and ridicule you at every turn.

Which religious rules are difficult to follow?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverHeat
    At the moment its actually the opposite. It takes courage to be religious nowadays, especially in places full of atheists who will insult and ridicule you at every turn.
    lol wut are you talking about bro?

The majority of people are still religious, and Christian slave morality still rules the roost. How many politicians in the US are atheist? In how many formerly Christian countries is polygamy legal? Is blasphemy not still illegal in many Western countries? Look how many people still crow for equality not even realising that the source of their irrational beliefs is Christian morality. Christianity is so deeply ingrained in Western culture that it will continue to dominate either directly or indirectly for a long time to come.

It takes far more courage to strike your own path than to simply accept everything that one has been brought up on, and to share in beliefs held by the community you live in/have grown up in. If you think otherwise then you are delusional. Monotheistic religion always has been and always will be a source of comfort and consolation for an absurd and nonsensical existence.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

So hard every US senator is religiously affiliated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religio..._States_Senate How do they manage? I'm surprised they can even get elected being religious and all...

Banned

Tell me more about how persecuted you are. It must be so rough being a minority in your country.

Banned

Monotheistic religion always has been and always will be a source of comfort and consolation for an absurd and nonsensical existence.
    always has been
    Agreed.

always will be
    Not sure about that. As quickly as technology is progressing, if we could travel 50 years into the future today I think we'd be shocked at how irrelevant monotheistic religions might become.

If your average Joe is uploading his consciousness into cloud servers and effectively living forever, why would he even bother?

NBA All-star

I think I would frame the question as

do you practice any religion?

We probably still end up getting a bunch of atheist answers.
    which i'm not sure if it should affect our moral values.

I suppose the follow up question to that to separate the atheists
    is what religions they know, heard of, and/or have understanding of

"Unawareness is the cause to the lack of progression"

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    every major religion has the same basic simple ass principle

"treat others like you would treat yourself"...the end
    does this mean i need to give out handjobs?

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Most religious people don't follow religious rules either you absolute imbecile.
    this is it.

Nobody's perfect and nobody is expected to follow every rule or to even know what all the rules are. You just gotta be a good person and thats enough to get by. No religion is going to excommunicate somebody for skipping a couple weeks of church or eating meat on fridays during lent.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

lol wut are you talking about bro?

The majority of people are still religious, and Christian slave morality still rules the roost. How many politicians in the US are atheist? In how many formerly Christian countries is polygamy legal? Is blasphemy not still illegal in many Western countries? Look how many people still crow for equality not even realising that the source of their irrational beliefs is Christian morality. Christianity is so deeply ingrained in Western culture that it will continue to dominate either directly or indirectly for a long time to come.

It takes far more courage to strike your own path than to simply accept everything that one has been brought up on, and to share in beliefs held by the community you live in/have grown up in. If you think otherwise then you are delusional. Monotheistic religion always has been and always will be a source of comfort and consolation for an absurd and nonsensical existence.

polygamy is more or less illegal for legal reasons not religious.

This country would be extremely f*cked up if people can start having multiple wives. There are a million reasons besides morality why polygamy is illegal.

I grew up to a catholic mother AND muslim father, kindof normal in Bosnia (see Zlatan aswell )... I dont care about rules, i just grew up and had just to much logic in my cerebral cortex to become religious... and thankfully my parents werent that religious either... many Slavic "Muslims" (Bosnians/Bosniaks) are like this actually....

I kindof hate the segregation religions can create aswell (amongst other things)...

I love the thought of God's existance & life after death... but... there is just to much need for facts & logic.... All i know is at the end of the day religion most importantly preaches spiritual & individual benovelence.... thats a treat i strive always having and im just gona enjoy life with full freedom and if i feel the fury of an angry god when its all said and done for me just because i didnt pray 5 times a day etc, then so be it.... like they say, only god can judge me
    Last edited by pauk; 04-24-2014 at 03:09 PM.

College superstar

You clearly have no idea what Atheism is. Read The God Delusion before making any more posts. Otherwise you will continue to keep making an arse of yourself.

NBA rookie of the year

Religion actually has the easiest rules.
    Especially christianity

1. you can pick and choose which parts to follow and be a "good christian". Live in society that uses slaves, well your in luck, parts of the bible say slavery is a ok.

Are you a rich person? No problem ignore any parts of the bible that condemn the rich.

Do you enjoy wearing clothes of two different fabrics? No problem, ignore that it is an abomination in the bible.

Do you enjoy shellfish? Ignore that it is an abomination in the bible.

2. All you have to do is ask for forgiveness and your sins are gone.
    Dwight howard has a bunch of bastard children, all he has to do is ask for forgiveness and he is a good christian.

People are atheists mostly, because they need evidence before they believe something.

NBA rookie of the year

The only commandments that would be difficult to not break are the ones against adultery and maybe lying.

NBA Superstar

lol thats so backwards.

It is really easy to be religious these days, much tougher for most of us to be fundamentalist tho. most people break all of the rules and later just excuse it as God forgives so sinnning and the hundreds of times they may do it a month repetitively amounts to following no real rules other than trying to be a good person which most people think is the shortcut or gist of going to Heaven.

Bible lessons of what they went through back in the day to be faithful to God was MUCH tougher. Christians were persecuted for a long time while being expected to stay faithful to God where it was a true testament of their faith, at the sacrifice of torture/death, or in Jesus's case being nailed to a cross.

its why i find most religious people these days a joke. even realizing people i grew up with call themselves Christian but never read the bible or have no real belief other than saying they believe in God makes me laugh. I said to them if you really believe in God, the God of the Bible, and believe you're going to Heaven you will be extremely devoted to it because that would be the end all be all of living. Like i know some very devout Christians and all they do is church stuff, even during the week they go to these church events, and you'd never see them out at bars or anything along those lines.

damn me and my wall of texts.....anyways If religion had easy rules it'd be like most religious people of today. live how you want, sin all of the time, and just pawn it all of as God forgives