Banned

Default Running a Website

I am currently in the process of setting up a website. Its not gonna be a site where you just get it online and thats it, its more like a updating news source on certain topics. I can run it myself but that wont be efficient since one man can only bring so much to the table. It would be akin to one person trying to update BleacherReport every day, its just not possible.

So I want to get together a team, and my question is where exactly do I find people willing to do this kind of stuff? I need people you can create designs and logos, and people who can write their own articles on a daily to weekly basis. I plan to monetize the site so to get good traffic we would have to be ahead of the curve every single day so it would take a bit of determination from all involved to pull off.

I dont have any money to pay people salaries or commision, so how would I tempt people to write for me? I know people write for sites like Bleacherreport for free. How do they get contributors? And where can I find artists? Thanks in advance for any constructive thoughts.

NBA Legend

Default Re: Running a Website

There are a lot of fantastic writers willing to contribute voluntarily at the bottom of the SF Bay. The only way to reach them though is to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge and meet with them directly. This is what I suggest you do, OP.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    There are a lot of fantastic writers willing to contribute voluntarily at the bottom of the SF Bay. The only way to reach them though is to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge and meet with then directly. This is what I suggest you do, OP.
    Damn bro you got bad jokes for days...

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverHeat
    I am currently in the process of setting up a website. Its not gonna be a site where you just get it online and thats it, its more like a updating news source on certain topics. I can run it myself but that wont be efficient since one man can only bring so much to the table. It would be akin to one person trying to update BleacherReport every day, its just not possible.

So I want to get together a team, and my question is where exactly do I find people willing to do this kind of stuff? I need people you can create designs and logos, and people who can write their own articles on a daily to weekly basis. I plan to monetize the site so to get good traffic we would have to be ahead of the curve every single day so it would take a bit of determination from all involved to pull off.

I dont have any money to pay people salaries or commision, so how would I tempt people to write for me? I know people write for sites like Bleacherreport for free. How do they get contributors? And where can I find artists? Thanks in advance for any constructive thoughts.
    Exactly what are your plans to monetize the site?

You can only find people to work for free if they get something else tangible out of the deal, experience, a platform to showcase their work etc. So why would they do anything for you? If I'm a writer who is passionate about a subject, I can easily start my own blog and do all the non-paid writing I think.

Is this some great underserved market you can exploit and actually make a profit, that is a real business that goes beyond not paying employees? Or are you doing an alternative to Bleacher Report. If it's the latter, why would anyone believe it's going to succeed? If it's the former, you need to look for investors, not employees.

The fact that you are asking these questions begs another question, why would I invest in you?

So folks are either going to invest their time or their money with you. Why? Why you and not somebody else?

This is never going to happen. What a pipe dream.

To make money from advertising, you need page views. To get page views, you need a high Google rank in highly searched terms. To be highly ranked by Google you need excellent SEO, external links and site visits.

You don't know what you're doing and in over your head. What exactly would you contribute if you don;t know about any of the above, need a designer and content writers?

F[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]cking f[COLOR="Black"]a[/COLOR]ggot!

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Post ads at colleges and hopefully you can bank on the youth of todays naivety.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Exactly what are your plans to monetize the site?

You can only find people to work for free if they get something else tangible out of the deal, experience, a platform to showcase their work etc. So why would they do anything for you? If I'm a writer who is passionate about a subject, I can easily start my own blog and do all the non-paid writing I think.

Is this some great underserved market you can exploit and actually make a profit, that is a real business that goes beyond not paying employees? Or are you doing an alternative to Bleacher Report. If it's the latter, why would anyone believe it's going to succeed? If it's the former, you need to look for investors, not employees.

The fact that you are asking these questions begs another question, why would I invest in you?

So folks are either going to invest their time or their money with you. Why? Why you and not somebody else?
    Its not like Bleacher Report at all, I was just using that as a example of a site that needs to update with multiple new articles daily. I am happy to pay people, but I cant actually do that without making money off the site first. Do you think people will be willing to work in return for a percentage of the business?

In terms of investors, I dont think anyone legit would invest money because I am just a student, its not like I have a portfolio of previous projects I have worked on. I also dont want to take out a loan, that can lead to some serious problems down the line if I'm not successful.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS
    This is never going to happen. What a pipe dream.

To make money from advertising, you need page views. To get page views, you need a high Google rank in highly searched terms. To be highly ranked by Google you need excellent SEO, external links and site visits.

You don't know what you're doing and in over your head. What exactly would you contribute if you don;t know about any of the above, need a designer and content writers?

F[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]cking f[COLOR="Black"]a[/COLOR]ggot!
    Firstly you just sound stupid because there are loads of blogs and sites started by students and people with no money or experience that end up being successful and making them real money. Also, everybody starts somewhere. With enough effort and positive thinking anything is possible. With your attitude I can see why you have settled for being a online troll as your calling in life.

Banned

I own two online companies, and 3 other "brick & mortar" businesses. I had to learn what I was doing as well - it sounds like you're looking for free help in every direction. Here's a tip, do some research and learn how to build a website yourself. It'll take you about a week to get the know-how. If you can't understand HTML after a week, you should go back to your job at Taco Bell and stick your face in the deep fryer.
    My friend, are you ****ing retarded? Where did I say I wasnt going to build it myself? If I had 100 hours in a day, I could do all this stuff myself. But I wont have enough time if I want to generate traffic by being a very up to date news/opinion site. I used Bleacher Report as an example earlier. Do you think one guy puts all that information on BR?

No matter how much you know, its very difficult to write 10+ articles a day for a website as well as doing all the other stuff that comes with maintaining a site, while also juggling coursework and life in general. Thats why people generally work in groups on projects like this.

My friend, are you ****ing retarded? Where did I say I wasnt going to build it myself? If I had 100 hours in a day, I could do all this stuff myself. But I wont have enough time if I want to generate traffic by being a very up to date news/opinion site. I used Bleacher Report as an example earlier. Do you think one guy puts all that information on BR?

No matter how much you know, its very difficult to write 10+ articles a day for a website as well as doing all the other stuff that comes with maintaining a site, while also juggling coursework and life in general. Thats why people generally work in groups on projects like this.
    I'll give you one last bit of advice. Only focus your energy on one thing at once, otherwise you'll fail. You'll never have a successful site by focusing on it in your spare time. Why would people visit it? Would they get something unique at your site? Would you have interviews with players? What kind of articles are being produced?

You're angry because I'm telling you that you have a bad idea. What you should do is start writing for another site, heck, maybe even ISH. Refine your skills, and then that should shape what you do with your ow site. Right now, jbased on your attitude, poor grammar, and your general troll-like behaviour, I can confidently tell you that your site would fail miserably.

http://www.theworldsworstwebsiteever.com/

Banned

I'll give you one last bit of advice. Only focus your energy on one thing at once, otherwise you'll fail. You'll never have a successful site by focusing on it in your spare time. Why would people visit it? Would they get something unique at your site? Would you have interviews with players? What kind of articles are being produced?

You're angry because I'm telling you that you have a bad idea. What you should do is start writing for another site, heck, maybe even ISH. Refine your skills, and then that should shape what you do with your ow site. Right now, jbased on your attitude, poor grammar, and your general troll-like behaviour, I can confidently tell you that your site would fail miserably.

http://www.theworldsworstwebsiteever.com/
    lol...

Anyway I appreciate your advice but you should let me worry about whether I succeed or fail. That wasnt the point of this thread.

Banned

this is a great place to start, many apps in the android/apple appstore were created here by these smart guys/ladies.

https://www.elance.com/