Local High School Star

Default Do you feel there are "star treatment" in your local streetball game?

How do you deal with it? There are "stars" on the court who have the license to do anything, they can dribble the whole possession and they miss the layup and then nobody says anything...Of course they do get their shots though if not they wont be the "stars", but they have the license to ballhog and the license to shoot out of their slump.

I'm a good player, but i'm not in the "star" category and I get frustrated because the team always has to have to pass the ball to the open man to a fault (Though im the best shooter usually). I don't get credit for making 3 shots in a row and If I miss the 4th on a layup or open shot or something it becomes a "bad play"...Anyone experience something like that?

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Do you feel there are "star treatment" in your local streetball game?

Not where I play or how I play, I expect everyone to pass no matter what, not saying if someones got a hot hand that don't feed it to them, but I don't care if you are easily the best player there, make a pass, don't be selfish let someone else take a shot its a team game not me game.

Default Re: Do you feel there are "star treatment" in your local streetball game?

If I make 3 3's in a row, I'm allowed to pull up from where ever I want next play. Same with my teammates. Me and my crew get hot quick so if you pull up from two steps in front of half court and miss I wont care

Learning to shoot layups

Honestly I can say i'm pretty much a star at a couple of parks. Are there people better than me? I'm sure there plenty, but i more than hold my own with pretty much everyone.

I know I can take pretty much whatever shot i want without anyone saying anything based off my past resume'. But I know for a fact i get picked up so much because im a good team-mate first. Truthfully scoring is natural for me, so more often than not i make it a goal/challenge to move the ball better and encourage my teammates.

Love having a subpar team on paper and getting some tough gritty wins off of defense and team play.

But to answer the question directly there is definitely star treatment, but more often than not there no fun to play with, and there degrading to teammates.

100% here and it pisses me off. These dudes think they can just jack up threes when me or my teammates are wide open. Boards and actually playing defense are definitely undervalued and even looked down on. Hell the "stars" think they are DAGAWD defensive players cause they can hack the shit outa your arms and hands to "steal" the ball. I don't pretend to understand it so I just choose to avoid playing with these losers.

Yes, and it pisses me off.

NBA Superstar

We get some folks who jack with little repercussion, but it's not star treatment. It's usually because they're someone who we don't know well or sort of feel bad or awkward about calling out.

BEAST

yep, definitely star treatments in the league i've played in

this guy would get all the ticky tacky fouls that is just complete BS.

i have gotten a couple of those calls myself too which i definitely would have let it go if it were not a reffed game.

Decent playground baller

Of course There are. In My regional league i average 35 ppg , i can Even shot from beyond the bback board and No one is going to Say a word. Star Power.

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3
    How do you deal with it? There are "stars" on the court who have the license to do anything, they can dribble the whole possession and they miss the layup and then nobody says anything...Of course they do get their shots though if not they wont be the "stars", but they have the license to ballhog and the license to shoot out of their slump.

I'm a good player, but i'm not in the "star" category and I get frustrated because the team always has to have to pass the ball to the open man to a fault (Though im the best shooter usually). I don't get credit for making 3 shots in a row and If I miss the 4th on a layup or open shot or something it becomes a "bad play"...Anyone experience something like that?
    Body them. lol. That's always the answer. Always body skill players.

I was thinking about this... I don't ball 'like that' anymore, but I mean if you would really travel and play a lot, you would see that people sometimes pick you last or won't pass to you for the most of the game. it takes game after game to earn respect. I think less than being a star, it's more that they understand those people. They have a defined role on that court. Where as, you may not. So both you missing and making shots are just like "o word" to them.

Just like I posted in another thread, I was never really great at anything in basketball, I just got results, and I always wanted to take the last shot. That was the one possession I'd go all out on. And people get used to that... so they are looking for me when a big shot is needed. It's all in just how the game develops and what people are comfortable with. Those guys who you say are stars probably aren't better than many others, they just have a role carved out, as I said.

Furthermore, I guess you can earn respect by stepping up and making big plays. So, when yaboy the star is off, always go hard to make a play, and they might start looking for you more.

But I've spent much time thinking about the dynamics of bball because I feel I've experienced a bunch of different places and I wanted to kind of figure out what it's about. And it's like any other social situation (for the third time) dudes have their roles and they play them. And a lot of people aren't too happy about a new guy coming in. If you're not a new guy and have that role, you might need to go somewhere else cuz it may be something you never break out of.

-Smak