Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Default the lack of empathy for Sterling is somewhat insensitive

guy is 80 years old, we are all product of our environment and Sterling's formative year is certainly shaped by the pre civil rights era he grew up in. Certainly he's not progressive minded and his outdated views are jarring and anachronistic in the age we live in but they are reflection of the generation he's from and the institutionalized racism and oppression that existed then. Sterling is nothing but a product of the skeletons in America's closet, the vestige of the bigotry and racism that's the very core of american history, nation with its beginnings in the eradication of native americans and institution of slavery.

Sterling being racist is about as surprising as 80 year old not being able to use a smartphone, I would be surprised if he was the only owner to even harbor such views. He's just the only one dumb enough to have it taped and broadcast.

Sure fans have every right to boycot and sponsors can pull endorsement. And given that silver is the arbitrator with unilateral power, a lifetime ban can also be justified or difficult to contest. But he should not be forced to sell the team, and I don't believe there are grounds to do that against he sancity of property rights.

They can contract the team. the fallout from that would be fascinating.

EDIT:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...ix-our-culture

giving props where it's due, Jason Whitlock says it better than me

these impurities of our culture is ubiquitous, burning Sterling in effigy will not cleanse our collective soul

there is a highly profitable business in synthetic indignation these days, everyone rushes to appear self righteous as if they dont have any moral warts
    Last edited by STATUTORY; 04-29-2014 at 06:57 PM.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: the lack of empathy for Sterling is somewhat insensitive

It's just hilarious you can get banned for the league for expressing thoughts such as those in private. He never even said a racial slur or anything either, just didn't want his side chick posting pics with black people on instagram and now he's banned from the league for it?

The overreaction here is strong as fvck.
    Last edited by russwest0; 04-29-2014 at 05:54 PM.

He and he wife shouldn't play these games with his mistresses. Don't feel sorry for him at all.

2012 I rep flatulence Cowboy Thunder's Avatar

I wonder what went through your head when you chose an avatar of LeBron baring his nipple

every black man's opinion of this thread, mine included

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    It's just hilarious you can get banned for the league for expressing thoughts such as those in private. He never even said a racial slur or anything either, just didn't want his side chick posting pics with black people on instagram and now he's banned from the league for it?

Absolutely agreed.

But NBA and many others has greatly affected by it and they still have to do something about it.

Banned

who cares? It's just funny watching the Clipper organization crash and burn. I hope he does remain an owner and everyone leaves the clipps

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0

The reaction is relative to how much negative publicity it generated for the NBA.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer
    Absolutely agreed.

But NBA and many others has greatly affected by it and they still have to do something about it.
    Oh no doubt. A million dollar fine and suspension for the rest of the playoffs would have been the most reasonable punishment at the most in my opinion.

Like Cuban says, you are going down a slippery slope to dictate what owners can and can't say in private. Michael Jordan has reportedly said a bunch of racist shit before, should we revoke him as an owner or are black owners operating under a different set of rules because the media doesn't get over sensitive when a black man says the word n*gger?

Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Not airballing my layups anymore Bl's Avatar

should have paid the whore off

That's what he gets for getting too involved with a ho. Shoulda kept it between him and his wife. No sympathy, a woman will wreck you, **** you learn that from day 1.

Good High School Starter LOLCATS's Avatar

I dont liek Sterling. He was wacist to black people. Thats not nice.

I rule the local playground tomSR.'s Avatar

Taken from a CBC commentary:

Did anyone listened the conversation. It's on YouTube. It's over 9 min long.
    During the whole time Sterling multiple times asking his girlfriend to stop this "toxic" conversation, to which she always replied "is it because they re black?". I believe the woman had set Sterling up. I think she is the one made the tape of the call (which is illegal without the consent). During the whole 9 min Sterling did not say one derogatory word against black people. It appeared to me that he was trying to give her advise not to display (promote) her private life on public sites. At the end he got very upset, he told her that's it's over between them and ask not to come or bring that man(Magic) to the games.
    It looks to me that the whole situation is overblown. An illegally made tape, taken out of contents, edited by the media to present the owner as a racist, so he can loose his team to the same guy (Magic) on the tape. Hostile takeover.

A member on here said "what black man owns an NBA team?"

You have to be one stupid fvck to not know Jordan owns a team.

Please never post again.