Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Default Re: Can Blake Griffin Surpass TD?

No way

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Nope. Even if he ever caught Tim offensively he simply does not have the defensive impact to be on the same level.

Very good NBA starter

lol @ Duncan being a better passer. Blake is probably the best and most dynamic play-making/creating/ball-handling PF ever alongside Barkley.

Blake might put up the numbers TD had (minus the blocks) if he focus more on the rebounds but I don't think he will ever be that good or have that much impact on the game as TD.

The thing that separates Timmy from all the other PF's is the fact that he was basically an HOF center playing the PF position. He ruled the paint as well as the elite centers of ALL TIME!! Skillset wise, NO OTHER PF can claim that! It was like having guys like Hakeem, Walton, or Robinson move over from center to play PF as their primary position. And even to this day, I feel the most valuable player in basketball WOULD be a dominant alpha dog two way center. The lone exceptions are if u have perimeter guys that can do it all like MJ, Kobe, or Lebron. Or possibly a 7 foot marvel like KG at PF who could do anything on a basketball court. But history proves the most valuable or dominant players usually are alpha dog two way centers!!

So peak wise, I don't see Blake passing Timmy due to that. And GOAT wise, u gotta have mad rings to even get close to Timmy! But for guys who are true PF's and don't swing to center like Duncan, I think Blake has the potential to be in the top 5 ever peak wise.

OP is trolling y'all...

OP; where do you have Timmy all-time? Top 10, right?

Blake is nowhere near Duncan defensively and offensively, imagine if Duncan had had a PG who could pass as well as Chris Paul or John Stockton his entire career.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    lol @ Duncan being a better passer. Blake is probably the best and most dynamic play-making/creating/ball-handling PF ever alongside Barkley.
    Duncan is a comparable passer. In his prime season(2003), he had a 19.5% assist percentage. Blake last season and this season is at 19.3%.
    Last edited by Artillery; 11-11-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Decent college freshman

BTW, this thread is effing retarded. Their playing styles are so different that I wonder why anyone even made the comparison in the first place.

Duncan's a post big who brings tremendous value on defense. A very different player than Blake(whose value is mostly on the offense side of the ball). Prime Amare is a better comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery
    BTW, this thread is effing retarded. Their playing styles are so different that I wonder why anyone even made the comparison in the first place.

Duncan's a post big who brings tremendous value on defense. A very different player than Blake(whose value is mostly on the offense side of the ball). Prime Amare is a better comparison.
    I agree! People gotta realize that in many ways, Duncan should be compared to the great centers of all time. He has the size and two way dominance of an elite center. Timmy just also happened to be one of the most versatile 7 footers ever, so he could easily play PF too. Blake is more in line with freak athlete PF's like Amare, Kemp, and McDyess. Or highly skilled versatile PF's like Barkley, KG, Webber, Derrick Coleman, or Larry Johnson. In terms of PF's, Duncan is in his own category in my opinion. His primary position could be C just as easily as it could be PF.
    Last edited by bizil; 11-11-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Duncan is a comparable passer. In his prime season(2003), he had a 19.5% assist percentage. Blake last season and this season is at 19.3%.
    In the Playoffs he was at 26%.

He was the quarterback of that team. He was the only good passer in the starting lineup.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    In the Playoffs he was at 26%.

He was the quarterback of that team. He was the only good passer in the starting lineup.
    Yup, Parker was absolute garbage as a point guard back then. Don't think TP ever became good until 2007 at least.

College superstar

Yup, Parker was absolute garbage as a point guard back then. Don't think TP ever became good until 2007 at least.
    2007 at least? he was finals mvp in 2007. i do agree that his stats left a lot to be desired prior to that year - he still brought international experience like manu did though - and when the 2 formed with pop (and duncan) the rest was history.

i would say the spurs had their success with the twin towers prior to 2005, while manu and parker superseded the system post 2007. from 2005 - 2006, one could argue that it was a combination of things - but ive heard even THE BIGGEST duncan fans say that manu was arguably the spurs' best player in many series during the 2005 playoffs.

High School Varsity 6th Man BigMacAttack's Avatar

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Why not? He's bigger, faster stronger and far more athletic. I mean isn't that how everyone seems to disregard the skills and fundamentals of players in the 80's and 90's?