Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend

Default Should the Vancouver C-word's be forced to change names?

Per wiki:

"Can**k" /kəˈnʌk/ is an sometimes offensive slang term for a Canadian. The origins of the word are uncertain.

The Random House Dictionary notes that: "The term Can**k is first recorded about 1835 as an Americanism (American term), originally referring specifically to a French Canadian.

As a white American, I cannot tell you how incredibly offensive this is to me. Basically there is a professional hockey team named after a derogatory and hateful slang term used by Americans to describe Canadian people.

A pejorative used to describe an entire nationality of people... being used all la-dee-da to name a hockey team in a league in which numerous American teams participate. And Americans are ok with this?? Fukcing redneck biggots, I swear to god. Stop believing in jesus and have some fukcing class ok?

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Canelo_Griffin's Avatar

Default Re: Should the Vancouver C-word's be forced to change names?

If a large portion of the Canadian populace deemed it to be an offensive term, than yes it should be altered. That's not the case here though...

Racism against white people isn't really racism. Same applies for derogatory terms and slang.

Should be renamed to the Vancouver Cunts. It's not offensive if it's accurate.

2/10 grasping at straws.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp6166

Not really derogatory in any way. If you've ever lived near Canada you'd know that you can use the word freely without insulting anyone.

Guess if you said you ****ing canuck with a snear, but you could do the same and say you ****ing jew.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    2/10 grasping at straws.

Not really derogatory in any way. If you've ever lived near Canada you'd know that you can use the word freely without insulting anyone.

Guess if you said you ****ing canuck with a snear, but you could do the same and say you ****ing jew.
    Pretty much this.

One must also take into consideration the disparity of historical discrimination faced between your typical Canadian and member of the aboriginal community. This is a cultural band of people that has been marginalized and osyracized for decades. Let's not kid ourselves here.

NBA Legend

2/10 grasping at straws.

A) You may wanna check where Buffalo, NY is on the map, chief. Oops... Was that racist?

B) You think a team called "The Jews" wouldnt garner considerable backlash?? Especially if they never went into the luxury tax??

Its an offensive name bro, and Vancouver should change it. Doesnt matter if some of the players may be canadian and not bothered by it, it's inappropriate.

idk if op is this stupid or just trolling tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    A) You may wanna check where Buffalo, NY is on the map, chief. Oops... Was that racist?

B) You think a team called "The Jews" wouldnt garner considerable backlash?? Especially if they never went into the luxury tax??

Its an offensive name bro, and Vancouver should change it. Doesnt matter if some of the players may be canadian and not bothered by it, it's inappropriate.
    You're not even making sense. Are you drunk?

There's pretty much no current or historical context for Canuck being offensive.

Very good NBA starter

2/10 grasping at straws.

Lol OP destroyed with a simple google search

starface proves he is a dumbass once again

NBA Legend

You're not even making sense. Are you drunk?

There's pretty much no current or historical context for Canuck being offensive.

No IMNOT DRunk.... an I dont need know DRINK to tell me i got a QUACKIN pribelm!!!!

Im just..... Im just out wit my budddy prime timd. Were havin a good time arnet we primetime.... Weer havin a GREAT time so shutt up alpl of u out ther

You peolp r nuthin but a buncha CANUKs.....

Im sorry. Im sorry i didnt mean to swear.

Decent playground baller iBandwagon's Avatar

I'm not too versed in what Canadians find offensive, but is it similar to Yankee for American? Yankee more often than not is a term used by non-Americans and is sometimes used to be offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by iBandwagon
    I'm not too versed in what Canadians find offensive, but is it similar to Yankee for American? Yankee more often than not is a term used by non-Americans and is sometimes used to be offensive.
    That's a pretty good comparison.

And you have to realize that this thread is a troll response to him getting destroyed in the Redskins thread.