seems so obvious...this has to happen

Default Re: Solar Roadways

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    http://www.ijreview.com/2014/05/1413...limate-change/

seems so obvious...this has to happen
    I hope so.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

can you imagine the cost of constructing these type of roads and repairing them?

   

i was looking at those a couple weeks ago. i like how they can be programmed to meet the needs of whatever place they're installed at. sort of the same idea as this:

biggest challenge is probably that they'll be pricey as hell upfront, even if they make the money back eventually. hopefully some creative funding can be found, plus maybe communities can install section by section, letting the money earned after a while pay for the next section to be placed.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by East_Stone_Ya
    can you imagine the cost of constructing these type of roads and repairing them?
    I was thinking about that the entire time I was watching the vid in the OP...It probably all comes down to how many years it would take for them to pay for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i was looking at those a couple weeks ago. i like how they can be programmed to meet the needs of whatever place they're installed at. sort of the same idea as this:

biggest challenge is probably that they'll be pricey as hell upfront, even if they make the money back eventually. hopefully some creative funding can be found, plus maybe communities can install section by section, letting the money earned after a while pay for the next section to be placed.
    Well, one obvious way to boost funding is a carbon tax. We should have one already but an infrastructure program like this would be a convenient excuse.

   

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Well, one obvious way to boost funding is a carbon tax. We should have one already but an infrastructure program like this would be a convenient excuse.
    definitely govt incentives could work. a little of the whip, a little of the carrot.

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

F U two anti-American dirtbags ^^ that'll never fly. Besides there is no global warming, totally exists in the fantasies of the Algores of the world
    Last edited by MadeFromDust; 05-27-2014 at 11:50 PM.

   

Quote Originally Posted by MadeFromDust
    F U two anti-American dirtbags ^^
    and thus... it is spoken!

It's the way of the future... way of the future... way of the future.

But seriously yea this or something like it is no brainer. Renewable energy is the only thing that makes any sense when it comes down to it... Everything else is just details.

How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

I read from a dude who did extensive studies on these that it's just too expensive. You constantly have to repair them, they fade with the sun/graffiti/tire marks etc so they lose their solar energy output and need to be replaced constantly. Nope.

   

Quote Originally Posted by maybeshewill13
    I read from a dude who did extensive studies on these that it's just too expensive. You constantly have to repair them, they fade with the sun/graffiti/tire marks etc so they lose their solar energy output and need to be replaced constantly. Nope.
    just speculation, but i don't see the glass layer, the solar panel or the LED components fading too much. how do you see that working, exactly?

glass may get scuffed up, true, but everything should still be pretty functional barring heavier physical damage, no?

but hey... maybe they can integrate discreet graphene or carbon fibers to prevent breakage from accidents and heavy trucks and stuff.

okay, maybe this is pie in the sky... maybe. but IMO a lot of life comes down to making an effort and being able to live with the results.

and we? ...we're losing the battle right now.

there is a faint hope to me that something like this may inspire people / change some minds... maybe help spread a certain movement. maybe. better than going down like a bunch of self-centered idiots, no?

haha, sorry just some thoughts. :P

Just another way for the NBA to rig games. I could see the 3 point line being moved closer on whatever side the Lakers are shooting.

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

Why not just dig up more oil? Solutions should be simple. Follow Texas' lead people hellooo

Never gonna happen in the US