Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: ESPN: Joel Embiid to visit with Cavaliers

We will see if that back holds up now won't we :)

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7
    See Sam Bowie and Greg Oden.
    See Brandon Roy and Grant Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Don't forget Varejao. He'll be a solid mentor for Embiid.

The Cavs have tons of cap space, so I'm assuming they're going to fill that SF spot either via free agency (Ariza or Hayward) or by trade.

One thing is for sure... the team will need outside shooting at the 3 with that lineup -- a floor spacer who can't be left undefended. Of the FAs available, Ariza would seem to be the most obvious choice.

Success will also make Cleveland a lot more attractive destination for players to go to.

If you guys manage to become very good, this might actually fix a lot of the stigma around the unprofessionalism of the Cavs.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Don't forget Varejao. He'll be a solid mentor for Embiid.

The Cavs have tons of cap space, so I'm assuming they're going to fill that SF spot either via free agency (Ariza or Hayward) or by trade.

One thing is for sure... the team will need outside shooting at the 3 with that lineup -- a floor spacer who can't be left undefended. Of the FAs available, Ariza would seem to be the most obvious choice.

man oh man... totally agree with you on this. Too many cavs fans are so quick to just dump Andy at the first chance possible. He's much more valuable to the cavs as a bench big/veteran than what his hypothetical return would be IMO.

Ever since i've been on the Embiid train i've been really hoping the cavs keep Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    See Brandon Roy and Grant Hill.
    Were Brandon Roy and Grant Hill picked over Michael Jordan and Kevin Durant?

Don't want little Embiid to get injured for the rest of his life because of a terrible back injury! I hope he does ok :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    We will see if that back holds up now won't we :)

We won't see until he plays a few seasons healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneyROY7
    Were Brandon Roy and Grant Hill picked over Michael Jordan and Kevin Durant?
    No, I was just referring to the general thought about big men and injuries. Wing players can get injured too, so, for instance, Roy, Hill, McGrady.

FYI, hindsight, the Blazers made two logic picks with Oden and Bowie.

No, I was just referring to the general thought about big men and injuries. Wing players can get injured too, so, for instance, Roy, Hill, McGrady.

Oden was a monster at OSU and was hailed as the next great center. He had a more serious pre college injury history though. He already had a hip surgery.

It was logical at the time because neither team put enough merit into both players propensity for injury.

I'm just saying, don't be shocked if Wiggins ends up being the higher impact player.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

...and Brandon Roy.

They've had a horrible string of luck with injuries to both their young bigs and wings. Injuries can happen any time to any player. You don't pass on the best prospect in the draft out of fear.

If there's something to fear in the MRI, that's one thing, but if it is just fear for the sake of fear, then you're making a big mistake.

Reports are coming out that Embiid could have played in the tournament, but they were extra-cautious with him because of his bright professional career.

He's the pick... and passing will haunt the organization for the next decade. I truly believe that. Guys don't come around like this too often. I think he has both the highest ceiling and the highest floor in the draft.

At worst, we're getting a suped up, 7-foot Ibaka. That's the worst case scenario I see outside of an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    Oden was a monster at OSU and was hailed as the next great center. He had a more serious pre college injury history though. He already had a hip surgery.
    Oden also had a very strange frame and never moved even close to as fluidly as Embiid. I also believe one of Oden's legs is longer than the other, which is always a big red flag.

I don't want to downplay Oden... he was probably more polished than Embiid coming into the league and looked like a potential monster. But, he also didn't move like Joel, who looks more like a SF than a C when you watch him play.

Well Greg Oden not only ruins himself, but also the reputation of centers of this generation. It will take a lot for Embiid to regain this.

NBA lottery pick

How is passing on a wingplayer for a center a mistake?
    Bigs don't stay healthy. And wing players are the ones winning championships

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    Well Greg Oden not only ruins himself, but also the reputation of centers of this generation. It will take a lot for Embiid to regain this.
    The fall of Andre Drummond in the draft has already gone a long way to easing those fears. Lots of teams now regret allowing him to fall. Btw, Drummond had the same exact injury that Embiid had. It didn't seem to hurt his impact this past season.

That reminds me... want to see something scary? You know how big Drummond looks when he's on the floor?

Joel Embiid - 7'1 height, 265 pounds, 7'5.75 wingspan, 9'5.5 standing reach

Anthony Davis - 6'10.5 height, 220 pounds, 7'5.5 wingspan, 9'0 standing reach

Andre Drummond - 6'11.75 height, 270 pounds, 7'6.25 wingspan, 9'1.5 standing reach

Dwight Howard - 6'10.25 height, 240 pounds, 7' 4.5 wingspan, 9' 3.5 standing reach

Roy Hibbert - 7'2 height, 278 pounds, 7'4 wingspan, 9'4 standing reach

LaMarcus Aldridge - 6'11.25 height, 240 pounds, 7' 4.75 wingspan, 9'2 standing reach

Nerlens Noel - 6'11.75 height, 210 pounds, 7'3.75 wingspan, 9'2 standing reach

...that standing reach is just .
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 05-28-2014 at 09:21 PM.