Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

Default Re: 90s athleticism/skills > today

Quote Originally Posted by Solefade
    top 10 is arguable of who was more athletic but all of the damn scrubs are athletic today..gerald green would be a superstar in the 80's/90's
    HE WILL GET KNOCK BY RODMAN

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

top 10 is arguable of who was more athletic but all of the damn scrubs are athletic today..gerald green would be a superstar in the 80's/90's
    AND LEBRON IS SOFT

All the damn scrubs were athletic back then, as well. Gerald Green would be as much of a "superstar" as Harold Miner was.

80's > 90's > 00's > Today > 70's > 60's > 50's
    This topic is specifically about athletes, so, with technology into account, today > any other era of the past, though only by a little.
    As players though, how can the 80's be so far above the 70's when a large fraction of them consisted of players who were active in the 70's (not to mention that legends like Wilt, Oscar, West, Havlicek were still active in the 70's, as well)? The only argument that I can find is the existence of the ABA, but I'm sure most would still rank the 70's that low even if we "merged" the talent of the 2 leagues.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

The only guys that are really really special are Shaq and Jordan, they pretty much hit the genetic lottery, had nothing to do with which decade they happened to be born in. The game overall is simply better today, like pretty much everything, they evolve and improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    i don't think any one in nba history other than bird matched durant's shooting percentages all over the floor and bird shot a lot less 3s than durant.
    Dale Ellis? Has the same FG% as Durant for his career, and shot 40.3% from beyond the arc. He didn't shoot as many 3s, but then again players didn't back then. Still, it's not that big of a difference (1.4/3.5 compared to 1.6/4.4).

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Dale Ellis? Has the same FG% as Durant for his career, and shot 40.3% from beyond the arc. He didn't shoot as many 3s, but then again players didn't back then. Still, it's not that big of a difference (1.4/3.5 compared to 1.6/4.4).
    yeah. forgot about him but still he only averaged close or above 25ppg for 3 seasons. you can't blame me for not including him when i am replying to an idiot who thinks that no one in the game today can shoot mid range jumpers on good efficiency.

Dee Brown, 6-1 PG in 91:

And then there's always Spud Webb:

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Basketball is the only sport whose athletic evolution froze in 1998.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Alright all you 'today's era is better than the 90s', here are five 90s players who combine elite athleticism and elite skills. Come up with 5 modern players who are better than the 90s stars, should be easy right? I mean, today's athletes are so much better than yesteryear, right?

Russell Westbrook, John Wall, Paul George, Anthony Davis, and Blake Griffin. And who can forget LeBron James.

Decent playground baller MC Gusto's Avatar

Athleticism today > 90s athleticism
    90s skills > skills today

Average athleticism may be higher, the athletic specimens are just about as athletic as in any other era.

Athletic bigmen specifically may be worse. We do have our Dwights, DeAndres and Drummonds, but no David Robinson or Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by kureyşi-gospurs
    Russell Westbrook, John Wall, Paul George, Anthony Davis, and Blake Griffin. And who can forget LeBron James.
    The OP mentioned a combination of elite athleticism and skill. So that leaves Lebron James from your list. Westbrook is a maybe. The OP's list is superior. Shaq, Robinson, Pippen, Nique, MJ > any contemporary list so far. It's not even close.

Also, I'd like to know how Lebron is greater physical specimen than Robinson was. He's the better all-time player, but Robinson won the genetic lottery as much as Lebron did.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    Basketball is the only sport whose athletic evolution froze in 1998.
    Then come up with superior athletes. I'll put the best physical specimens in the 90s against anyone today. Go ahead. Find a Shaq, a David Robinson, or a Hakeem. You can't.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    80's > 90's > 00's > Today > 70's > 60's > 50's
    Correct answer.