Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESL Teaching

Oh the Bealsanity

Default ESL Teaching

Any other ESL teachers on ISH? I think I'm aware of one other. Anyone considering doing it? Its been a pretty cool gig for me so I'd recommend it to many recent graduates. Easy way to travel and make money. I've been asked a few times on here about it so I figured I'd answer some questions if anyone has any.

Also, for you Europeans, did you have any native English speakers at all in school or were your teachers just fellow countrymen?

Default Re: ESL Teaching

How did you learn Chinese GK?

Oh the Bealsanity

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    How did you learn Chinese GK?
    When I came over here the only word I knew was "Ni Hao" (hello)

As you can see, knowing the language isn't really a requirement. In fact some schools would rather you not know it to force the students to speak to you in English. If your students see that you can speak their language, they won't try as hard to get their point across in English because they can already communicate with you!

Even after almost 2 years though, my Chinese still sucks. I can get by OK and get my point across but thats about it. Tonal languages suck...

Quote Originally Posted by GatorKid117
    When I came over here the only word I knew was "Ni Hao" (hello)

As you can see, knowing the language isn't really a requirement. In fact some schools would rather you not know it to force the students to speak to you in English. If your students see that you can speak their language, they won't try as hard to get their point across in English because they can already communicate with you!

Even after almost 2 years though, my Chinese still sucks. I can get by OK and get my point across but thats about it. Tonal languages suck...
    Do you make more than you would as a regular teacher in the U.S.

Oh the Bealsanity

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Do you make more than you would as a regular teacher in the U.S.
    If you factor in taxes and cost of living then possibly for some, but on average I'd say no. The average salary for a ESL teacher over here is probably around $1800. Not a lot but many schools provide free food and housing and other perks.

The possibly to make a lot is there though. The average cost for a tutoring session with a native speaker is $50/hr here in Shenzhen. So if you tutor a bunch during the week you can make some serious money. I know some people who make 5k a month, although they are working all the time. It depends on what you want to do/experience while over here I guess.

National High School Star

I taught elementary school students in South Korea for three years.

Yes, you earn much more than a teacher in the U.S. I earned 2,500 after taxes a month. They paid for housing and I got a free lunch. No one drives, so you don't have to pay for a car, insurance etc. I went out every weekend, took lots of trips, ate great, and had an overall amazing quality of life. I was still able to have 1,000 left over each month. Ended up paying back all my student loans and saving 15k. There are random end of year, flight, pension etc bonuses. Oh, I also worked 1 to 6 only.

Life was good. Dunno why I quit and went back into finance haha.

I'm Asian Canadian and it's hard out here in Korea to get calls after I send my photo. Never had I wish I was white until now.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I really wanted to do this but I don't have a degree. I don't have great people skills but I really wanted to travel and teach. Oh well. I would love to teach in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    I really wanted to do this but I don't have a degree. I don't have great people skills but I really wanted to travel and teach. Oh well. I would love to teach in Asia.
    Your location suits you well.

I usually hit open layups Ron Jeremy's Avatar

On average, does a teacher with a TEFL or any other certification make considerably more? I got accepted into a CELTA program near my city but I'm still debating whether the $2500 price tag (+housing,food) and 1 month commitment is worth it.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Can I teach overseas without a degree? It was my fault for going out after my freshmen year..didn't make the final cut in the pros, played a couple years overseas. Kids, stay in school..hear me Julius Randle.

Can I teach overseas without a degree? It was my fault for going out after my freshmen year..didn't make the final cut in the pros, played a couple years overseas. Kids, stay in school..hear me Julius Randle.
    what league did u play in?

Oh the Bealsanity

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jeremy
    On average, does a teacher with a TEFL or any other certification make considerably more? I got accepted into a CELTA program near my city but I'm still debating whether the $2500 price tag (+housing,food) and 1 month commitment is worth it.
    Geeze, $2500.... Wow.

The only way I think it would be worth it is if you are planning to continue to teach ESL back in your home country. In Asia, it is definitely not needed. I have a crappy 100 hour TEFL certification and it hasn't really helped me at all to my knowledge. Do some employers like to see one? Yeah, but its not a necessary item you have to have.

If you want to get a TEFL cert, just do a 120 hour one in my opinion. Should be much cheaper.

Oh the Bealsanity

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Learning Russian right now, taking Chinese next year. Hoping to do it in both countries for a while.
    How bad does the food in China suck? Hear its ****ing disgusting. Can you find American stuff like peanut better in stores?
    Do they give you courses on how to teach before you start?
    What company do you work for? Just for the state?
    It sucks pretty bad. I eat at my school every day and while every now and then we get a nice meal, most of the time its mehhhh. All the meat has bones in it that you have to pick out. Eating fish is particularly annoying in that regard. Plus we have fish head day!

Chickens feet is super popular here as well as a bunch of other weird things. I'm surviving but I definitely go eat western food a few times a week as well. The stores here sell a lot of foreign stuff actually. I buy Oreos regularly, they do have peanut butter and a bunch of other snacks. We have Burger King, Subway, McDonalds and KFC here as well. Plus a nice selection of foreign restaurants.

I took a TEFL course beforehand and that was it. When I got hired by my school, I just came over and they threw me into the classroom so to speak lol. That seems to be a norm here.

I came over by myself and not apart of a company. Most people I meet came over initially with a company though. I know a few of those companies bring their teachers to Beijing 1st for a week for like an introduction seminar. They get some teaching tips there so thats nice. Companies are cool because you have someone looking out for you but in my experience, you don't make as much money.

Oh the Bealsanity

I know a few people who have taught without degrees here in China. But the Visa process over here is getting super strict so I don't know if its still possible. I would think Vietnam, Thailand or Burma would be better options if you don't have a degree. Heck, I know some places in Thailand where you can just buy a degree lol. They look official and everything