Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    shhhhhhh

Default Re: Duncan/Parker/Ginobli had a combined $30.36 cap hit this year. Kobe's was $30.45 mil.

This thread might have merit but Kobe's 30 million was on a contract signed 5 year ago before the new CBA... with the new CBA and his new contract Kobe took a 10 million dollar reduction in salary

Now that we got that out of the way how about the fact the Heat's big 3 were being paid 60 million compared to the Spurs 30 million and got blown out and embarrassed in the finals... that's a dollar per wins produced discussion worth discussing

Default Re: Duncan/Parker/Ginobli had a combined $30.36 cap hit this year. Kobe's was $30.45 mil.

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    Now that we got that out of the way how about the fact the Heat's big 3 were being paid 60 million compared to the Spurs 30 million and got blown out and embarrassed in the finals... that's a dollar per wins produced discussion worth discussing
    Karma and justice.

Dunking on everybody in the park MavsPoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davehos
    No. I'm implying only a selfish, megalomaniac would dress like that which is bolstered by the fact he fleeced the shit out of the Lakers.
    Yup.

4th highest payroll and $20 million over the luxury cap and can't make the playoffs. Kobe got that Laker front office looking like the Nets and Knicks right now.

Local High School Star lakerspng's Avatar

that was the last year on a contract in which he brought the Lakers to the finals 3 times and won the championship twice, signed long before the new more restrictive CBA.... what's the problem?

This dude Kobe looked like 40 year old Jordan hobbling around when he came back last season...

....and he is making $30m/year

there's nothing wrong with Kobe earning an obscene amount of money. he earned it.

just don't talk to me about his "competitive drive to win."

if you have the "competitive drive to win," then you would do anything to win.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    there's nothing wrong with Kobe earning an obscene amount of money. he earned it.

just don't talk to me about his "competitive drive to win."

if you have the "competitive drive to win," then you would do anything to win.
    The same haters that are spewing this nonsense would be the exact same people that would be quick to discredit any rings he won if he took a huge paycut and got a stacked team around him to help him win. ISH hypocrisy at its finest

Dunking on everybody in the park

So basically, the big three from San Antonio are self-aware enough to understand that they need significant help at this stage of their careers and that they can only win with an incredibly deep roster that foregoing that money which allows for additional talent on the roster, which is why this title feels more like the 2004 Detroit Pistons which was done more by committee than any one particular player.

Kobe Bryant is like that prideful heavyweight champion who is well past his prime, and even though it is evident to everyone around him that he is no longer the fighter that he used to be, he still doesn't want to believe it and suffers an embarrassing knock out due to total denial.

Kobe Bryant is too stubborn and in denial to understand the obvious state of his game.

We may never see Kobe Bryant in the playoffs again.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SOD 21
    So basically, the big three from San Antonio are self-aware enough to understand that they need significant help at this stage of their careers and that they can only win with an incredibly deep roster that foregoing that money which allows for additional talent on the roster, which is why this title feels more like the 2004 Detroit Pistons which was done more by committee than any one particular player.

Kobe Bryant is like that prideful heavyweight champion who is well past his prime, and even though it is evident to everyone around him that he is no longer the fighter that he used to be, he still doesn't want to believe it and suffers an embarrassing knock out due to total denial.

Kobe Bryant is too stubborn and in denial to understand the obvious state of his game.
    Bingo.

Nothing wrong with Kobe taking more money, but don't bitch about help or winning.

Why do people blame Kobe instead of the Lakers? Makes no sense. Nobody would say no to that deal.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IllegalD
    at the notion that Duncan and Co "care more about winning" than Kobe.

Why? Because Kobe got paid, and still believes he can play at an elite level?

I could flip it and say that Kobe has a different mentality, because he didn't take the easy way out like Duncan, who's basically accepted that he is merely a roleplayer at this stage, thus his massive paycut.
    They do care more about winning so they took less money in order to win. Kobe instead hamstrung his franchise with a ridiculous contract. I like Kobe, I do and he's a fantastic player but his ego got the best of him in this situation. Duncan taking the easy way out? Not hardly. The Spurs don't get great free agents and they don't get draft picks. The easy way out for Duncan would be to sign w Miami or some other team. Instead, he stayed where he's always been and trusted in the organization and won. This is a guy who gladly gives up minutes and touches and stats for winning. Duncan is realistic about where he stands at his age. If you think that he can't take games over then maybe you weren't watching the playoffs this year. I love Kobe but to try and call what he did anything other than what it is, is just foolish. Part of being great is realizing what you can do. I think Kobe is a fantastic player and I expect him to come back pretty strong next year but regardless of who they bring in as a coach and in free agency, there is no chance, literally zero chance that he'll be in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by kamil
    Yeah if they get through the west, IF, which obviously encompasses any changes to the western conf. teams. Eastern teams are gonna be as shit as they were this past season, so the Spurs will have no problem with them.
    Right, and there you go asserting things you have no way of possibly knowing again. As i said: idiotic.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IllegalD
    Why? Because Kobe got paid, and still believes he can play at an elite level?

I could flip it and say that Kobe has a different mentality, because he didn't take the easy way out like Duncan, who's basically accepted that he is merely a roleplayer at this stage, thus his massive paycut.
    Do you not realize that knowing your limitations is part of basketball IQ? You essentially just said Duncan is a smarter basketball player than Kobe. Luckily, many people will agree with that.

Very good NBA starter

Kobe is just playing for scoring records nowadays, and you get the feeling anything that threatens those records is a threat to him.