Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: A gasoline glut is in our future

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    That'll be a good place to hole up in when the zombie apocalypse arrives.

Yeah, I'll use the money I save on gas to stock up on weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    People just love their gas powered cars too much.
    I dont think so. People dont care whether their car is powered by gas or electricity, they just want a car that is affordable, reliable, safe... etc. Aside from constraints due to battery tech (which will improve), electric cars are superior to gasoline cars in practically every measurable way.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    electric cars are superior to gasoline cars in practically every measurable way.
    I'm not convinced of that quite yet. They aren't cheaper yet, and unless the electricity used to power the battery came from solar/wind/etc then they aren't doing the environment any favors either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    I'm not convinced of that quite yet. They aren't cheaper yet, and unless the electricity used to power the battery came from solar/wind/etc then they aren't doing the environment any favors either.
    The only reason they arent cheaper yet is because of battery tech, which i noted in my post as the main problem currently. Once batteries get cheap they will be less expensive than equivalent gasoline cars. And who actually gives a fvck about the environment?

The only reason they arent cheaper yet is because of battery tech, which i noted in my post as the main problem currently. Once batteries get cheap they will be less expensive than equivalent gasoline cars. And who actually gives a fvck about the environment?
    you said "aside" from battery tech...if not $ or pollution, what other measurable ways did you mean?

you said "aside" from battery tech...if not $ or pollution, what other measurable ways did you mean?
    electric cars are more reliable because they have less moving parts and less engine/drivetrain complexity.

electric cars have better performance because they dont require being in the sweet spot on their powerband to achieve full power.

electric cars handle better because they have a lower center of gravity.

electricity will always be cheaper than gasoline so they are cheaper to operate in that regard. electricity is a lot easier to produce/transport than gasoline is.

here is a thread I made a year ago with more info about why electric cars will replace gasoline cars -http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=304045
    Last edited by Nanners; 06-17-2014 at 03:07 PM.

electric cars are more reliable because they have less moving parts and less engine/drivetrain complexity.

electric cars have better performance because they dont require being in the sweet spot on their powerband to achieve full power.

electric cars handle better because they have a lower center of gravity.

electricity will always be cheaper than gasoline so they are cheaper to operate in that regard. electricity is a lot easier to produce/transport than gasoline is.

here is a thread I made a year ago with more info about why electric cars will replace gasoline cars -http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=304045
    You make it sound like electric cars would be dominating Nascar and Formula 1 if allowed, but fair enough, I'll just take your word on all that.

You make it sound like electric cars would be dominating Nascar and Formula 1 if allowed, but fair enough, I'll just take your word on all that.
    eventually they will be dominating racing

eventually they will be dominating racing
    Only a bolt of lightning would produce the 1.21 gigawatts of power needed for that. Unfortunately you never know when or where it's going to strike.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

what ever happened to hydrogen fuel cell cars? They seemed to be all the rage 10 years ago or so and now you don't hear much about them.

France and India have been goofing around with air powered cars for a couple of years now. I always wonder when they are going to start gaining more traction.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    what ever happened to hydrogen fuel cell cars? They seemed to be all the rage 10 years ago or so and now you don't hear much about them.

France and India have been goofing around with air powered cars for a couple of years now. I always wonder when they are going to start gaining more traction.
    Hydrogen is too inefficient and expensive to produce on a large enough scale. Also, its fairly dangerous stuff, highly explosive.

Volkswagen's Rudolf Krebs said in 2013 that "no matter how excellent you make the cars themselves, the laws of physics hinder their overall efficiency. The most efficient way to convert energy to mobility is electricity." He elaborated: "Hydrogen mobility only makes sense if you use green energy", but ... you need to convert it first into hydrogen "with low efficiencies" where "you lose about 40 percent of the initial energy". You then must compress the hydrogen and store it under high pressure in tanks, which uses more energy. "And then you have to convert the hydrogen back to electricity in a fuel cell with another efficiency loss". Krebs continued: "in the end, from your original 100 percent of electric energy, you end up with 30 to 40 percent

You should check out the reviews of the Tesla Model S. It is a big sedan that is faster than a BMW M5. All electric with a range of over 200 miles on one charge.

When they come out with a smaller car it is sure to be a game changer.

Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

That article fails to account for the inflation caused by our central bank, The National Reserve. Using 1976 prices were paying the equivalent of 90 cents a gallon right now. Or we were a year ago.

http://observationdeck.io9.com/u-s-g...ion-1478918350

safety > fuel efficiency IMO
    I thought Teslas are meant to be as safe as, if not safer, than your average SUV.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    I thought Teslas are meant to be as safe as, if not safer, than your average SUV.
    Could be true, I haven't looked into those cars in particular, but I know that when an SUV and car collide and result in fatality, 9 out of 10 times it is the person in the car who dies and the person in the SUV who lives. This is because the person in the SUV is ABOVE the collision, while the person in the car is eating the SUV's bumper. It is usually just a matter of height.